Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Dreaded Fuel Line Leak - Fixes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2024, 12:52 AM
K-Dog
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Default The Dreaded Fuel Line Leak - Fixes?

I ran a new hard line from the Fuel Pump to the carb and the lower flange is still “weeping” a bit, even after I reset and tightened it. (Photo is before when I was in the process).

I don’t want to keep torquing down on it, but it shouldn’t leak - at all. What are some things I can try?

update: Fixed!

put a little anti-seize on the threads and flare and torqued it a few times - no more leak. Thank you!

Last edited by K-Dog; 03-26-2024 at 01:03 AM.
Old 03-14-2024, 01:07 AM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 599 Likes on 486 Posts

https://www.grainger.com/product/PAR...-in-Tube-5WRW1
The following 2 users liked this post by ddawson:
Chagjr (03-17-2024), K-Dog (03-14-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 04:40 AM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,542 Likes on 2,752 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Is it leaking out of the flare, or the threaded elbow?
Stainless line?
Those sealing gaskets above might work well with Stainless. Otherwise, lossen back off. Then retighten.
make certain your using a flair nut wrench so you can get appropriate torque on it.
The following users liked this post:
lickahotskillet (03-15-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 07:09 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,200 Likes on 2,757 Posts

Check for a hairline crack in the flair when you take it apart.
lickahotskillet (03-15-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 07:47 AM
Stephen Irons
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 87 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

PTFE Tape! Put a couple of turns on each thread and re-tighten.

The theory says it shouldn't work, but trust me, it does.

If it doesn't, then you may have a damaged line, as mentioned.
Old 03-14-2024, 08:37 AM
bmotojoe
Safety Car

Received 1,299 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Remove the steel line and inspect the mating surface of the brass elbow. If you see any deformities replace brass elbow.
The following 2 users liked this post by bmotojoe:
K-Dog (03-14-2024), lickahotskillet (03-15-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 11:07 AM
sunflower 1972
Drifting

Received 537 Likes on 363 Posts

Pay particular attention to post #22: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ittings-2.html
Old 03-14-2024, 11:13 AM
Tiger Joe
Drifting

Received 518 Likes on 344 Posts

FWIW- the last car i did new stainless lines on, the kit i purchased recommended installing/loosening the new lines 3 times at each fitting to ensure a good seal.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tiger Joe:
K-Dog (03-14-2024), lickahotskillet (03-15-2024), Sayfoo (03-14-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 12:11 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,166 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Irons
PTFE Tape! Put a couple of turns on each thread and re-tighten.

The theory says it shouldn't work, but trust me, it does.

If it doesn't, then you may have a damaged line, as mentioned.
If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid?

I suspect that this works because:
1. You are undoing it, and redoing it.
2. The teflon tape lubricates the threads, and lets you get more pressure on the tapered sealing surface for the same amount of torque. Many ARP bolts work this way, too.

Even though it works, I wouldn't recommend it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bikespace:
K-Dog (03-14-2024), lickahotskillet (03-15-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 01:12 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 455 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiger Joe
FWIW- the last car i did new stainless lines on, the kit i purchased recommended installing/loosening the new lines 3 times at each fitting to ensure a good seal.
Yes, and you may need to do it more than 3 times. A little anti sieze on the threads helps also.
K-Dog (03-14-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 01:16 PM
ukjohn
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

I did this recently and as Sunflower 1972 says, read Lars post on the link he gave. I had to remove the pipe and bend it slightly several times to get it, so that you could tighten both nuts fully by hand and then it didn't leak.
Old 03-14-2024, 01:23 PM
Stephen Irons
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bikespace
..........Even though it works, I wouldn't recommend it.
I confess I was doubtful when I was told about this 25 years ago, but I've used it on the fuel filter joint and the P/S hose connections as a matter of course ever since - no massive torque required to seal either and no detrimental effects.
Old 03-14-2024, 01:31 PM
sunflower 1972
Drifting

Received 537 Likes on 363 Posts

Quote from Lars from the link I provided earlier.

"
  • Lubricate the joint. If you assemble a flare joint "dry" it will "grab" and gall, and you will not be able to achieve proper torque and seal: The threads of the fittings should be lightly lubricated, as well as the back surface of the flared tube where it rides against the flare nut. By lubricating the parts this way, you will achieve a smooth, proper torque of the joint, and it will be leak-free. (Many people think that they corrected a leak by using Teflon tape: In fact, the Teflon tape did nothing more than provide "lubrication" of the threads so good torque could be achieved while shearing off shards of teflon tape into the inside of the fuel line...)
Alignment and lubrication of the threaded joints is mandatory assembly procedure for all AN flared connections and inverted flare tube joints (there's actually a MIL-Spec document that covers this topic).

Lars"
The following 3 users liked this post by sunflower 1972:
Bikespace (03-14-2024), K-Dog (03-14-2024), lickahotskillet (03-15-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 01:31 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,166 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Irons
I confess I was doubtful when I was told about this 25 years ago, but I've used it on the fuel filter joint and the P/S hose connections as a matter of course ever since - no massive torque required to seal either and no detrimental effects.
And I'm sure you're careful to only get it on the threads, just as I'm sure it does work. Anti-sieze might also work, or some ARP bolt lube, for the same reason. As long as the tapered seat is clean, as that's where the seal is made.

My only reason to advise against it is to keep teflon tape out of fuel and brake systems, from folks less careful than you. But if it works, it works!
K-Dog (03-14-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 02:56 PM
K-Dog
Instructor

Leaking from the flare (tube).
Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-14-2024, 02:57 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,105 Likes on 876 Posts

If the Tube was flared properly then it should easily mate with the brass block and SEAL without excessive force. It should only require a few pounds of force to seal it off.

I don't think Teflon Tape is designed to be used with gasoline. I have never used it on a flare fitting connection. On some parts you could use watered down dish soap as a lubricant that washes off.
Old 03-14-2024, 02:59 PM
K-Dog
Instructor

That makes sense. Even though this line is supposed to be OEM-fit. It isn't. As usual with any replacement part, it took some "working" to get it to line up. The part is well-made, just not a perfect fit. I'll undo-redo it a couple more times.

Get notified of new replies

To The Dreaded Fuel Line Leak - Fixes?

Old 03-14-2024, 03:02 PM
K-Dog
Instructor

Originally Posted by ukjohn
I did this recently and as Sunflower 1972 says, read Lars post on the link he gave. I had to remove the pipe and bend it slightly several times to get it, so that you could tighten both nuts fully by hand and then it didn't leak.
Thank you! Makes sense.
Old 03-15-2024, 06:32 AM
Stephen Irons
Burning Brakes

And I'm sure you're careful to only get it on the threads, just as I'm sure it does work. Anti-sieze might also work, or some ARP bolt lube, for the same reason. As long as the tapered seat is clean, as that's where the seal is made.

My only reason to advise against it is to keep teflon tape out of fuel and brake systems, from folks less careful than you. But if it works, it works!
I guess PTFE tape is a cleaner, some would say more current, way of lubricating joints. So as Lars implies, while it is not true to say that PTFE tape "corrected" a leak, it does what is required to prevent them. This from "The Complete Guide to PTFE Tape"
"What is PTFE Tape?

PTFE tape is a simplistic yet highly versatile lubricating material and thread sealant. It is mainly used in ductwork and piping applications and is also known as thread seal tape and plumber's tape.

PTFE Tape for Petrol and Oil

Due to its chemical inertness, PTFE tape is resistant to both petrol and oil. Therefore, it is often used in automotive applications to seal and lubricate fuel line joints.

Plumber’s lubricating and sealing tape is designed to cope well under moderately high pressure and heat demands. This means that it is broadly suitable for use in environments where it may encounter oil, petrol, diesel and other fuels.

As with most PTFE tape applications, it is good practice to start wrapping slightly below the first line of threading, leaving one full thread circumference exposed at the insertion end of the mating joint. If any small pieces of tape are sheared off where the threads bite together, you can start your wrap a little further back from the endpoint to prevent these material scraps from entering and potentially contaminating connected tanks or fuel lines."

Bikespace (03-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 02:35 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,893 Likes on 2,564 Posts

If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid?

I suspect that this works because:
1. You are undoing it, and redoing it.
2. The teflon tape lubricates the threads, and lets you get more pressure on the tapered sealing surface for the same amount of torque. Many ARP bolts work this way, too.

Even though it works, I wouldn't recommend it.
I think it's stupid because it makes you look like an amateur and a bubba.....and everytime I see it I shake my head the same way I have been shaking it for 30+ on this, whether it works or not......it is like the Q-Jet spacer adapter deal.....epidemic.....about half of the cars I see or work on with Q-Jets have Teflon Tape on the threads....
Put two drops of oil on it.....achieves the same thing.......

From Lars:

Teflon tape is only used on pipe threads, which use the threads themselves as the sealing surface. Inverted flare joints, as well as "AN" flared joints, use contact between the flare and the mating fitting to seal the joint - not the threads.

That said, there are some things you should do with the flared joints when mating them:
  • Inspect the flared tube and the mating fitting to assure no cracks, damage, or scoring on the sealing flare surfaces.
  • When mating the fittings, make sure that the fittings can be fully mated using finger-tightening. If you have to "draw" the fittings together using a wrench, you have misalignment which must be corrected - the joint will leak if there is any misalignment, no matter how tight you tighten it.
  • Lubricate the joint. If you assemble a flare joint "dry" it will "grab" and gall, and you will not be able to achieve proper torque and seal: The threads of the fittings should be lightly lubricated, as well as the back surface of the flared tube where it rides against the flare nut. By lubricating the parts this way, you will achieve a smooth, proper torque of the joint, and it will be leak-free. (Many people think that they corrected a leak by using Teflon tape: In fact, the Teflon tape did nothing more than provide "lubrication" of the threads so good torque could be achieved while shearing off shards of teflon tape into the inside of the fuel line...)
Alignment and lubrication of the threaded joints is mandatory assembly procedure for all AN flared connections and inverted flare tube joints (there's actually a MIL-Spec document that covers this topic).

Another trick for stubborn flares (usually stainless) is the brass flare washers......whoever invented these is sitting on an Island somewhere laughing their *** off at us.....
I have never had to use one on a Copper/Tin/Steel line.....

Jebby
The following 2 users liked this post by Jebbysan:
lickahotskillet (03-15-2024), sunflower 1972 (03-15-2024)

Quick Reply: The Dreaded Fuel Line Leak - Fixes?