Sponsored by:

69 Convertible - Wiper Access

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 02:52 PM
Sunburned69
Heel & Toe

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 69 Convertible - Wiper Access

Hello out there - I need a little advice on my 69 as it pertains to accessing the wipers. The wipers sort of work but I need to gain access to the wiper compartment -- how do I do that? The compartment cover does not work but I have managed to manually move it - I cannot get my hand in that small gap between the door and the windshield so I assume (?) that I need to remove the compartment door to gain access. Is that correct and if so how do I remove that door and is there any gotcha's that I should be paying attention to before starting?

Thanks!!
Old 02-29-2024, 04:11 PM
69L88
Melting Slicks

Received 1,225 Likes on 767 Posts

Do you have an Assembly Instruction Manual? If not, get one as it is invaluable for working on the car.

Before you start disassembling, understand how the wiper door and wiper control mechanisms work. They can be daunting for anyone who has never worked in a 68-72.

What do you mean by “sorta work”? Basically, when the wiper switch is on, vacuum is ported to the actuator located in the engine compartment on the right. When the door is in full open position, the wiper motor receives electrical power and runs. When the wiper switch is moved to the off position, the wipers “park”, allowing the door to close. That is a very simple description of the operation. There is an override switch to the right of the steering column at the bottom of the dash as well as vacuum overrides for the wiper door and the headlights. There are multiple failure points in the system to confound the best troubleshooters.
The following users liked this post:
JBrooke825 (02-29-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 04:25 PM
Sunburned69
Heel & Toe

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the fast reply! I'm looking for that AIM bible as I see it referenced here a lot

By "Sorta works" I meant that I turned the wipers on low and they started to move (slowly) - then one of the arms popped off but I was able to fish it out of that compartment. The compartment itself is only connected on one side (I can see that there is a screw missing up near the top driver side.

Also - silly question - where is the fluid reservoir? I have a sinking feeling that the PO took it out...
Old 02-29-2024, 09:28 PM
69L88
Melting Slicks

Received 1,225 Likes on 767 Posts

Reservoir is located on the backside of the right inner fender if you do not have A/C.

Removing the door is not hard but you need to use some extensions and a universal joint to get the socket onto the boltheads. Removing the grille ahead of the door gives you some additional access.
Old 02-29-2024, 09:44 PM
Dave J
Burning Brakes

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

Access to the wiper bay is relatively easy. Simply remove the wiper grill and leave the wiper door alone. I can service anything I want by doing so.
The following 4 users liked this post by Dave J:
carriljc (03-01-2024), F4Gary (02-29-2024), mbp (03-01-2024), Rescue Rogers (03-01-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To 69 Convertible - Wiper Access

Quick Reply: 69 Convertible - Wiper Access