Sponsored by:

Exhaut manifold question for 69 350

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2024, 12:03 AM
brookiez28
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Exhaut manifold question for 69 350

Probably discussed many times, but I could not find the info I was looking for in the forum.
I have a '69 350/350 4-speed with side pipes. Engine is completely stock and original. Im thinking of switching out my 2" exhaust manifolds for a new hi-temp ceramic coated pair of ram horns as they look stock, always look new, no rust spots, etc. My concern is that the new manifolds are 2.5" at the outlet. A couple of questions;
1) Will the size difference have any negative effect on performance as these engines were designed with the 2" outlet.
2) Would I need to modify timing with the change to a 2.5" manifold?

Lastly, I'm assuming the change would require modification to a larger connector that then goes into the side pipes, correct?
Thanks very much in advance for your advice!
Old 02-18-2024, 01:11 AM
67:72
1967 Pedal Car Champion
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,018 Likes on 1,363 Posts

I don't see any negative on performance. A lot of folks up-size the 2" to 2.5" for better performance. That said, unless you are also changing the entire system to 2.5" then any performance gain will be minimal to nothing. Additionally, it's frequently said that the side exhaust actually hurts performance due to design restrictions that the under-car system doesn't have.
Old 02-18-2024, 01:31 AM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,574 Likes on 2,759 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

As one who has installed the ceramic coated 2 1/2 inch aftermarket exhaust manifolds I think I can field your questions.
1. Performance is not affected in a negative way whatsoever. In a positive way, yes.
2. Ign timing is unaffected.
Now, on to the things you didn't ask.
The pipe that connects to the 2 inch manifold uses a donut packing. The 2 1/2 inch manifolds use a flat gasket. The flanges that come with the aftermarket manifolds are garbage at best. Your local exhaust shop will be able to remove the 2 inch section of pipe from your current exhaust and make up 2 1/2 inch replacements, and they likely will have much better quality flanges on hand.
you WILL need to change out the pipe below the manifolds to the correct size and the different type of flange.
All well worth the effort. These ceramic coated manifolds not only stay looking great for years. But really do help your engine breathe better.
Perhaps not long tube headers. but much better than the stock manifolds.
Well worth the effort. But do consider you will need to have a good exhaust shop modify your pipes.
Also consider if your running a carburetor, although timing will be unaffected, jetting is likely to be affected.
The following users liked this post:
brookiez28 (03-12-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 03:14 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 897 Likes on 781 Posts

I just bought the Corvette Central 1964-1965 2.5" downpipes part number 322414 to bolt onto my 68: Clumsy bigger things so pay attention to shipping charges. I got mine from RPI because they had better shipping choices but doesn't seem to anymore.

https://www.corvettecentral.com/c2-6...ipes%2f1964%2f

https://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item...i-performance/

The following users liked this post:
brookiez28 (02-18-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 05:57 AM
RPIDON
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 361 Likes on 329 Posts

Please use Feb24 code for best savings
Old 02-18-2024, 11:49 AM
brookiez28
Instructor

Originally Posted by 67:72
I don't see any negative on performance. A lot of folks up-size the 2" to 2.5" for better performance. That said, unless you are also changing the entire system to 2.5" then any performance gain will be minimal to nothing. Additionally, it's frequently said that the side exhaust actually hurts performance due to design restrictions that the under-car system doesn't have.
Thanks 'pedal car champ" I laughed at that!)
Appreciate your feedback!
Old 02-18-2024, 11:52 AM
brookiez28
Instructor

Originally Posted by 4-vettes
As one who has installed the ceramic coated 2 1/2 inch aftermarket exhaust manifolds I think I can field your questions.
1. Performance is not affected in a negative way whatsoever. In a positive way, yes.
2. Ign timing is unaffected.
Now, on to the things you didn't ask.
The pipe that connects to the 2 inch manifold uses a donut packing. The 2 1/2 inch manifolds use a flat gasket. The flanges that come with the aftermarket manifolds are garbage at best. Your local exhaust shop will be able to remove the 2 inch section of pipe from your current exhaust and make up 2 1/2 inch replacements, and they likely will have much better quality flanges on hand.
you WILL need to change out the pipe below the manifolds to the correct size and the different type of flange.
All well worth the effort. These ceramic coated manifolds not only stay looking great for years. But really do help your engine breathe better.
Perhaps not long tube headers. but much better than the stock manifolds.
Well worth the effort. But do consider you will need to have a good exhaust shop modify your pipes.
Also consider if your running a carburetor, although timing will be unaffected, jetting is likely to be affected.
Great info, 4 vettes! I'll need to plan around having a good exhaust shop do the work from the downside of the manifolds.

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaut manifold question for 69 350

Quick Reply: Exhaut manifold question for 69 350