Sponsored by:

PS hose is toast

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2024, 12:38 AM
ZIOGEO
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts
Default PS hose is toast

All I did was go to put a few gallons in the tank. Drove up to the station a few miles away and just 20 or 30 feet from the gas pump, a huge plume of white smoke came our from everywhere and 15 seconds later it was gone. Power steering fluid went everywhere. Fortunately the drive home was only about 3 miles.
Any chance the pump was damaged? I heard no noise coming from it but I just thought I ask. Looks like the return line failed quite dramatically. Wouldnt surprise me if they're all the original hoses. Im going to change them all anyway but the pump is my only concern ATM.
Old 02-08-2024, 04:22 AM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,570 Likes on 2,757 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Over the many years I've owned my 77, I've done in that many hoses I've lost count. I keep a leatherman in the back storage compartment. When I blow a line I immediately cut the belt to the pump. Pump running dry can and will burn up.
not 3 miles. Not 3 feet. Cut the belt right now! Then drive home with manual steering with a bit of slop in it. but totally drivable.
Chances that the hose was original considering how many I have gone through? I highly doubt it. But hey, it's your car.
I keep spare hoses hanging on the pegboard of my little workbench. I have one of each and 2 return hoses hanging there right this minute. I also keep PS fluid in my garage stocks at all times.
Welcome to the wonderful world of C3 ownership.
As per your pump. you didn't do it any favors running it dry. Next time cut the belt. The V belt is cheap. The pump, not so much. Only way to know is get it refilled and try it. I strongly recommend Tuff Stuff replacement pumps.
Old 02-08-2024, 04:37 AM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

In my garage, right this minute.

Spare PS Hoses and and extra belt.
I've been through this so many times in 35 years of ownership that I'm prepared.
Don't order a set of 4 hoses. Order 2 sets. And purchase some really nice flair nut wrenches as well. Your going to use them a lot if you keep your C3.
Old 02-08-2024, 04:41 AM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

These. If you don't already have them. You need them.
Old 02-08-2024, 09:03 AM
Fly skids up!
Burning Brakes

Received 613 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by ZIOGEO
anyway but the pump is my only concern ATM.
You'll know soon enough.
Old 02-08-2024, 09:34 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,167 Likes on 2,351 Posts

A Borgeson conversion reduces the number of hoses from 4 to 2. A manual conversion further reduces it to zero (and zero power steering pumps). Just sayin'!

A set of flared crows foot wrenches might be helpful, too.

Old 02-08-2024, 11:34 AM
JavaJolt78
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Hey there 4-Vettes your post has got me thinking about having my PS hoses replaced...
I have a 78 and have not idea how old they are but I've had it 15 yrs and never had a problems...But there is alway a but with our older C3'3...
My question is after they are replaced is there any other adjustments that need to be done??
My guess is that the job is just remove & replace??

JJ78
Old 02-08-2024, 12:34 PM
ZIOGEO
Instructor

Originally Posted by 4-vettes
In my garage, right this minute.

Spare PS Hoses and and extra belt.
I've been through this so many times in 35 years of ownership that I'm prepared.
Don't order a set of 4 hoses. Order 2 sets. And purchase some really nice flair nut wrenches as well. Your going to use them a lot if you keep your C3.
How common is the suicide of PS hoses?
Old 02-08-2024, 12:38 PM
Dino_'72
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 89 Posts

I must be lucky. I’ve had my ‘72 for 33 years. Same PS hoses, likely the factory original ones. I’ve changed the control valve once and it’s leaking again. Thinking I should change the hoses, but maybe new rubber compounds thanks to the EPA are not as good as back in the day. Hmm.
Old 02-08-2024, 12:42 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ZIOGEO
How common is the suicide of PS hoses?
I replaced all of mine, twice, in two years. Leaked again, then converted to Borgeson.

In my 80, PS just stopped working, and I briefly had a rare C3 with a non-leaking stock PS system. I then completed the manual steering conversion, properly, using OEM parts.

Last edited by Bikespace; 02-08-2024 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-08-2024, 04:18 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Ziogeo,

The return line is the only line not under pressure. It's usually the last rubber piece to blow.
You will find out once you get the front up on ramps.

Find a drawing on the net showing exactly how each NEW hose is to be routed. I would do one at a time.
Note that two of them crisscross.
Not that one end of a line goes in on a angle. Do Not cross thread that.

If at any time a new fitting drips. Shut the engine off, loosen the fitting then retorque it.

After the Rez is refilled, it will need several minutes worth of lock-to-lock action with the steering wheel. Do this with some of the weight off the tires.
Then you can center the ram using Jim Shea instructions.
The following users liked this post:
interpon (02-08-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 04:42 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,252 Likes on 970 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

This might help:

The following 2 users liked this post by Peterbuilt:
HeadsU.P. (02-08-2024), interpon (02-08-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 06:05 PM
bruiser
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 153 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by JavaJolt78
Hey there 4-Vettes your post has got me thinking about having my PS hoses replaced...
I have a 78 and have not idea how old they are but I've had it 15 yrs and never had a problems...But there is alway a but with our older C3'3...
My question is after they are replaced is there any other adjustments that need to be done??
My guess is that the job is just remove & replace??

JJ78
If the hoses don't leak leave them alone. I put new ones on mine and had one split open after about 10 years. Aftermarket parts are junk.
The following 2 users liked this post by bruiser:
Bikespace (02-09-2024), interpon (02-08-2024)
Old 02-09-2024, 11:42 AM
Dino_'72
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 89 Posts

Based on the many comments, I think I will keep my 33 year plus hoses that appear ok when I replace my valve in the next few weeks. We are lucky in some ways to have the ability to get replacement parts for our C3s, but unfortunately, many of these parts are not up to the original standards or just disappointing in quality. I did a complete engine bay restore/refresh and after buying new headlight relays, new oil pressure gauge, and vacuum wiper valve, plus other parts, I had to refresh the factory original units as there were issues with these repop units. Many other parts were usable but definitely not the same even though it says GM Resto part. Just my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
Bikespace (02-09-2024)
Old 02-09-2024, 04:08 PM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Very true. I buy the USA hoses. But they don't last like the originals. I seem to go through more return hoses than anything else. It flexes alot as you turn from lock to lock. I've gone through a couple high pressure hoses. The 2 from the control valve to the ram never seem to give me trouble.
Old 02-09-2024, 04:17 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 4-vettes
Very true. I buy the USA hoses. But they don't last like the originals. I seem to go through more return hoses than anything else. It flexes alot as you turn from lock to lock. I've gone through a couple high pressure hoses. The 2 from the control valve to the ram never seem to give me trouble.
That might be the secret to the Borgeson conversion. The only two hoses are (mostly) static, between the pump and the steering box. Other than vibrations, they only really move if you need a new engine mount.
Old 02-09-2024, 06:54 PM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by Bikespace
That might be the secret to the Borgeson conversion. The only two hoses are (mostly) static, between the pump and the steering box. Other than vibrations, they only really move if you need a new engine mount.
I think that's very true. Get under a C3 with the front wheels hanging. Turn the steering from lock to lock and watch those 2 hoses from the pump to the control valve. Bloody amazing how much they move. And it's so important to do just this when replacing a hose as the routing may look great at straight ahead. But rub on a tie rod end or something when turning. And keeping the high pressure line as far away from the exhaust is also critical. The Borgeson system clearly doesn't have these issues.

Get notified of new replies

To PS hose is toast

Old 02-13-2024, 04:53 PM
ZIOGEO
Instructor

Got the return hose replaced yesterday. The clamp at the pump side was a crimp connector, similar to what they use on PEX tubing or something like that. The other 3 hoses dont look any better so I'll change them also. I think they are original but even if they are not, this car sat for 22 years so they are at least that old. Anyway, how much total PS fluid does this system need?

Old 02-13-2024, 05:12 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Less than two quarts one quart (two pints) to fill, I think. Look up the bleeding procedure of turning lock to lock.

Now that you've popped the cork and have repro parts, you may need gallons of fluid. I hope I'm wrong, and the repro hoses serve you well for years.

Last edited by Bikespace; 02-13-2024 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-13-2024, 07:32 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,647 Posts

See if you can find Jim Shea steering on the net.
That article will go into great detail about bleeding the system. Then disconnecting the rams rod at the frame, briefly.
Then you can adjust / center the Control Valve & Ram.

I can testify that if any trapped bubbles remain in the system, you could get a scary shimmy at speed for a few seconds.

Quick Reply: PS hose is toast