Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this bad amount of rust?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2024, 03:26 AM
Eliredandblack
Drifting

Received 435 Likes on 364 Posts

Purchase an 1974 AIM along with a 1974 Chevrolet Factory Service Manual, on EBay. Welcome to the Hobby. You have come to the right place to ask questions. Good Luck.
Old 02-01-2024, 08:12 AM
Eric P
Drifting

Received 427 Likes on 295 Posts

I like it !! I'd drive that baby all this spring and summer and then restore
Old 02-02-2024, 02:57 AM
Mike in Mobile
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 26 Posts

Eric P has good advice. Drive it for at least a couple thousand miles and you'll know what you want to make it look, run and ride like
Old 02-02-2024, 06:01 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

Just be aware , that is a pretty badly rusted area . The rust has grown between the bottom plate ( tab) and the vertical piece of the pillar . Its so bad its braking the tab away from the pillar . There are 4 tabs bent upwards off the bottom plate (its got the hole punched in it for the body mount ) . Usually this is a sign of a leaking windshield (its steel surround ) and the water is running down inside the pillar . So just be careful and maybe inspect the surround a bit better before you buy , all is repairable or manageable , to a degree ! If your not fussed about the rust , maybe it can be used to get the car a bit cheaper , maybe the owner doesn't even know how bad it is !

The following users liked this post:
carriljc (02-03-2024)
Old 02-03-2024, 03:10 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,341 Likes on 3,942 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

thats nothing...ask a guy from a rust state. all you have to do to treat that is wash it down with Phospor on a brush or Naval Gelly. Bad rust ahs big bubbles and it comes apart in big chunks...I doubt any of that would even move without beating the hell out of it with a steel brush....

I will try an post a pic of rust for you.
Old 02-03-2024, 03:16 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 890 Likes on 775 Posts

One of these days I'm going to take my borescope usb camera and point it up to see what it looks like up above this area.
Has somebody done that? To eyeball the condition going up from this location?
Old 02-03-2024, 03:22 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Okay this is rust and how to spot it
this is a gap where the bumper is supposed to be touching the headlight.
the frame has rusted a little and to get rid of the offending rust the trucks immune system is shedding the offending area

here you can see where the tiney bit of rust on the truck frame and plow frame cause the immune system to start fighting those areas by just abandoning them.

and here you can see that the end with the bumper on it just wasnt willing to let go of the bumper so it had to go as well. The truck may still be drivable but the plow wont lift off the ground because the frame and bumper are trying to become one with the ground at the some time...

okay this is rust...IF your corvette looks like this, then you may want to consider a different avenue to take....that little surface rust on the 74 is so pitiful minuscule on the rust scale thatt it can be taken care of in a weekend. Yes the water got there by running down the inside of the A pillar. Yes the A pillar could look like that. Is it an issue? no, not at all. Did the T tops leak, yes, they ALL do, but there are other avenues for water to get down there as it happens to convertibles as well. If yo udo get it and you pull the bolts to get all the areas treated then you can replace those dried out rubber bushings as well. If you noticed you can still see the stock green primer as well

Buy the car if you like brown cars... that color is a bigger issue than any rust that car has
Old 02-03-2024, 03:30 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

noticed you are in Florida...only issue you may have is any flood damage if it got salt water in it if thats a possibility...drain all the fluids to see if they are white at all, if not you got a winner. Depending on how much of a restoration you are doing will depend on what you are willing to spend If you lift the body I would dip the frame, blast it and get it powder coated. Like it was mentioned just in front of the rear tires is another bad rust spot as well as just below the windshiled, you can see the area if you open the doors
Old 02-03-2024, 06:17 PM
commander_47
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

IMHO it is a good deal. I hope you get it.

Quick Reply: Is this bad amount of rust?