Sponsored by:

1977 "Moon Roof" top panels

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 03:49 PM
Jwtvette
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 1977 "Moon Roof" top panels

I recently purchased a set of used "Moon Roof" t-top panels. I need to repaint them to match my 1973 Coupe. The interior hardware and the weatherstripping is in bad shape and I want to replace that after stripping and painting the tops. Two Questions: 1) Since these tops were offered in the 1977 year model, what version (early or late) of t-top weatherstripping do I order? I am assuming the same weatherstripping as for the standard t-top panels are used. If I am assuming wrong, please let me know. 2) the interior hardware is rusty and I want to replace it. Do I order the Front Pin, the Center Tabs (and screws), the locking latches for the 1977 application or the 1973 application (my car)? Any help on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2024, 04:03 PM
bruiser
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 153 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I used the early weatherstrip on my moon roofs. The hardware should be pretty much the same for 73 and early 77.
The following users liked this post:
Jwtvette (01-26-2024)
Old 01-26-2024, 06:16 PM
Jwtvette
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks bruiser. Very helpful information. Would you be willing to share any pictures you have of both the interior and exterior sides of your Moon Roof tops? I want to make sure I'm restoring them as close to "factory OEM" as possible.
Thank you so much for responding.
Old 01-28-2024, 09:03 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,336 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwtvette
I recently purchased a set of used "Moon Roof" t-top panels. I need to repaint them to match my 1973 Coupe. The interior hardware and the weatherstripping is in bad shape and I want to replace that after stripping and painting the tops. Two Questions: 1) Since these tops were offered in the 1977 year model, what version (early or late) of t-top weatherstripping do I order? I am assuming the same weatherstripping as for the standard t-top panels are used. If I am assuming wrong, please let me know.
If I'm reading your post correctly it sounds like you're assuming the "Moon Roofs" you've acquired are factory tops? While Chevrolet initially announced that glass tops would be available as an option for the 77 Corvette, they actually never became available in 77. The first factory installed glass tops weren't offered until April 1978, and were all glass, not painted with an acrylic insert. Since you're talking about needing to paint the tops you have, they have to be an aftermarket product, and not something made by Chevrolet, making identifying what weatherstrip and hardware you need a little harder.

Chances are if they're older tops, what you have are Moon Roofs once made by a company called Saratoga Tops, but they could also be Thompson Astro tops or some other brand since there have been a few different makers of Corvette "glass" tops over the years. Some of these top makers used GM rubber and hardware while others came up with their own ways of attaching and sealing the tops.

It's pretty easy to tell which weatherstrip you need (as long as the tops you have originally used OEM rubber). The 69 first design - 77 t-top rubber uses 19 plastic push pins and requires a metal retainer to attach the weatherstrip over the door glass. The second design 77-82 t-top weatherstrip has 18 push pins and a piece of metal molded into the rubber where it meets the door glass, eliminating the need for the retainer strip.

2) the interior hardware is rusty and I want to replace it. Do I order the Front Pin, the Center Tabs (and screws), the locking latches for the 1977 application or the 1973 application (my car)? Any help on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
All 68-77 GM made t-tops used the same hardware, two handles, one in front and one in back. All 78-82 factory tops (both painted and glass) have just a single handle in the front and a pin in the rear, that goes into a receiver in the b-pillar and is actuated by the front handle.

A couple pictures of the underside of the tops you have might help identify what you need.

Last edited by gbvette62; 01-28-2024 at 10:08 AM. Reason: corrected punctuation positioning
The following users liked this post:
interpon (01-28-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To 1977 "Moon Roof" top panels

Quick Reply: 1977 "Moon Roof" top panels