Sponsored by:

Ranting about Life

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2023, 08:30 PM
Bailey78
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Ranting about Life

Life is getting in the way of my project.
I pulled my shoulder out removing the engine from my car. Massage therapist isn't cheap. Trying to avoid the doctors office. Now we had to buy a new dryer today. That's even more out of my car budget. Seems like everything I had saved is disappearing fast than I can save it for the car.
The frame off work I was wanting to do is now not going to happen. But I still have a plan. I still have the car I waited forty years to get. I'm just pissed that things aren't going the way I planned. But hey that's life right ? I can still sand and strip the paint off the body. And wire brush the frame I can get to.
waiting on the parts to rebuild the rear suspension.
I'm still breathing so I still have hope of getting it done. Just not in the timeline I was hoping for.

Last edited by Bailey78; 09-12-2023 at 06:08 PM.
Old 09-11-2023, 08:34 PM
Mdbirk
Burning Brakes

Received 637 Likes on 335 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I hear ya and I feel for ya! Sometimes you just gotta be happy doing what you can do.
The following users liked this post:
Bailey78 (09-11-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 08:42 PM
Bailey78
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mdbirk
I hear ya and I feel for ya! Sometimes you just gotta be happy doing what you can do.
Yes I'm grateful for what I have no doubt.
I was just hoping for a smooth next six months to work on the car. However Life has other plans.
I'm still going to do all I can before winter sets in.
Hope to have the suspension rebuilt and the engine back in it.
Old 09-11-2023, 08:47 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,708 Likes on 1,424 Posts

Hey man....we are all on the same journey. The best is behind me now.....but I will try to enjoy what is left. But its getting harder every day.
The following 3 users liked this post by Torqued Off:
Bailey78 (09-11-2023), loup68 (09-13-2023), skb40466 (09-12-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 08:59 PM
Bailey78
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CorvettePassion
Hey man....we are all on the same journey. The best is behind me now.....but I will try to enjoy what is left. But its getting harder every day.
Lol. Yeah i hear ya.
I truly enjoy what I'm doing to the car.
I just had a bad week and today was the kicker.
I have a limited amount of income. And between the massage therapist an the dryer dieing just pissed me off. I will figure something out I always do.
Looks like some redneck ingenuity is going to come into play.
Old 09-12-2023, 12:00 AM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

Those things can get anyone down. I hear ya brother.

Sounds like your attitude is overall pretty good. Keep thinking long term. Nurse your shoulder ....& best wishes with your upcoming C3 plans.
Bailey78 (09-12-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 05:38 PM
1971CorvetteII
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

What's ( South Texas ) that covers a lot of square miles. You by salt water I see your rims looks rusty on one area.
Sorry to hear about your shoulder but you know your supposed to use a engine hoist / lift & not your body.
Have you checked the critical area of your car ?
What all looks to be needed for your project
Be happy you have a tractor & it looks like the 3 point still holds
What are your plans to do to it ?

Mines on a lift, nothing wrong with my frame / birdcage & I have no desire to do a frame off rebuild,I'm waiting for my next catastrophe myself, = been thinking of pulling my injection pump
off my tractor & going thru it for about a year now =most of the time I find a work around, corvette takes first priority at my stage of life unless it has to do with me taking cold showers.
Bailey78 (09-12-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 05:41 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 301 Likes on 215 Posts

Do one section at a time. Order the parts you need and just do one area at a time. Mine took 3 years. Took out a 401K loan to get the parts. I tell my wife if you put $100 into savings something breaks that costs $200 to fix. You have the car just take your time.
Bailey78 (09-12-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 06:00 PM
Bailey78
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1971CorvetteII
What's ( South Texas ) that covers a lot of square miles. You by salt water I see your rims looks rusty on one area.
Sorry to hear about your shoulder but you know your supposed to use a engine hoist / lift & not your body.
Have you checked the critical area of your car ?
What all looks to be needed for your project
Be happy you have a tractor & it looks like the 3 point still holds
What are your plans to do to it ?

Mines on a lift, nothing wrong with my frame / birdcage & I have no desire to do a frame off rebuild,I'm waiting for my next catastrophe myself, = been thinking of pulling my injection pump
off my tractor & going thru it for about a year now =most of the time I find a work around, corvette takes first priority at my stage of life unless it has to do with me taking cold showers.
Yeah I'm down around Corpus Christi.
The overall condition of the car is great. Surface rust but no flaking or pitted rust. Wheels have rust due to Hurricane Harvey blowing the doors off the building it was in. My plan is to build a daily driver out of it. I used a chainfall to remove the engine. But it hung up a bit and when I pulled on it. It pulled back. To avoid damaging the car I sacrifice to my right shoulder. No regrets but I feel like a dumbass for not being more careful.
Old 09-12-2023, 06:07 PM
Bailey78
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 540 vette
Do one section at a time. Order the parts you need and just do one area at a time. Mine took 3 years. Took out a 401K loan to get the parts. I tell my wife if you put $100 into savings something breaks that costs $200 to fix. You have the car just take your time.
My plan was six months to have it drivable and twelve months to have it finished or as close to finish as possible. Trying to keep realistic goals.
I have most everything to rebuild the break system.
Gotta rebuild the suspension and clean and paint the frame that I can get to. My neighbor is going to hook me up with P.O.R. paint so wire brushing the frame is all I will have to do to it.
I just got pissed off at myself for letting myself get hurt. The dryer taking a dump was just the icing on the cake to a bad week.
Old 09-12-2023, 06:38 PM
1971CorvetteII
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bailey78
My plan was six months to have it drivable and twelve months to have it finished or as close to finish as possible. Trying to keep realistic goals.
I have most everything to rebuild the break system.
Gotta rebuild the suspension and clean and paint the frame that I can get to. My neighbor is going to hook me up with P.O.R. paint so wire brushing the frame is all I will have to do to it.
I just got pissed off at myself for letting myself get hurt. The dryer taking a dump was just the icing on the cake to a bad week.
My plans were to have this one back on the road this year, might be on schedule still just depends on how energetic I am. I will have to admit having a 4 post lift has made a world of difference
on working on it, definitely didn't plan on that expense & than building a cover on out riggers that raises with the lift. I'm to damn old to be crawling around on my knees anymore, also was going to buy
new carpet but mine looks new except that it faded to an orange color which is pretty ugly & I found the back section I had hidden
My last major expense will be a new soft top, should come in under a grand, AND tires, just never stops.
I guess be lucky you have a T-Top
You are more than a stones throw away but still in my area, I can offer some help by way of machine work = not set up for automobile stuff, but have a lathe & mill that I have been using to make
a bunch of little parts for mine = hotrod / race items that the vendors charge to much for in these times

What's in mind for your motor/trans combo.
AC car or no
options ?
Bailey78 (09-12-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 06:59 PM
Mdbirk
Burning Brakes

Received 637 Likes on 335 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Should have used that redneck ingenuity instead of buying a dryer! Some rope and clothes pins should be under $15...if you live somewhere cold $10 for a hair dryer and $20ish for a 30 pack of beer (24 pack Incase you drink them fancy expensive beers like Coors or bud light like my brother and his husband do!) And get to drinking and doing laundry! Hell one time I cooked my undies dry in a microwave!
Bailey78 (09-12-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 07:07 PM
1971CorvetteII
Instructor

Someone mentioned in another thread about getting a frame straightened for about $400.00

So I'm a redneck I guess, straightened it approximately 3/8" = works for me = cost 3 hours labor

Bailey78 (09-12-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 07:24 PM
skb40466
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 58 Posts

I had a high school football coach here in PA that used to say, “tough times don’t last, only tough guys.”

50 years later his words echo everyday.
The following 2 users liked this post by skb40466:
Bailey78 (09-12-2023), Mark G (09-12-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 07:57 PM
Bailey78
Intermediate

My plans were to have this one back on the road this year, might be on schedule still just depends on how energetic I am. I will have to admit having a 4 post lift has made a world of difference
on working on it, definitely didn't plan on that expense & than building a cover on out riggers that raises with the lift. I'm to damn old to be crawling around on my knees anymore, also was going to buy
new carpet but mine looks new except that it faded to an orange color which is pretty ugly & I found the back section I had hidden
My last major expense will be a new soft top, should come in under a grand, AND tires, just never stops.
I guess be lucky you have a T-Top
You are more than a stones throw away but still in my area, I can offer some help by way of machine work = not set up for automobile stuff, but have a lathe & mill that I have been using to make
a bunch of little parts for mine = hotrod / race items that the vendors charge to much for in these times

What's in mind for your motor/trans combo.
AC car or no
options ?

My engine is being built by a shop in Corpus Christi at the moment. It has a M 21 Transmission that I will reseal when I pull the rear differential to reseal and replace all the u-joints. The factory AC was stripped out of it. I will eventually go back with a more modern setup.. It will all come together in due time. An I should have expected a few bumps along the way.
Old 09-12-2023, 08:03 PM
Bailey78
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mdbirk
Should have used that redneck ingenuity instead of buying a dryer! Some rope and clothes pins should be under $15...if you live somewhere cold $10 for a hair dryer and $20ish for a 30 pack of beer (24 pack Incase you drink them fancy expensive beers like Coors or bud light like my brother and his husband do!) And get to drinking and doing laundry! Hell one time I cooked my undies dry in a microwave!

Lol. Yeah if only it was that simple
My wife is a housekeeper at a local hunting and fishing club. She also does the laundry for them. An teal season is upon us at the moment. We have a clothesline but it would never keep up with the demand. So for the next nine days the local laundromat is getting our dryer business. I'm highly allergic to the consumption of alcohol. I break out in black eyes and handcuffs.
Mr.Impulse (09-14-2023)
Old 09-12-2023, 08:05 PM
Bailey78
Intermediate

Originally Posted by skb40466
I had a high school football coach here in PA that used to say, “tough times don’t last, only tough guys.”

50 years later his words echo everyday.
No doubt about that.
I've made it this far and I ain't given up yet.
Just hit a couple of bumps I wasn't expecting.

Get notified of new replies

To Ranting about Life

Old 09-12-2023, 08:13 PM
Bailey78
Intermediate

Someone mentioned in another thread about getting a frame straightened for about $400.00

So I'm a redneck I guess, straightened it approximately 3/8" = works for me = cost 3 hours labor

Nothing wrong with some good redneck engineering. I've had to do it most of my life.
My Father taught me anything can be done if you really want to do. I've done a few 4x4 builds in my younger days. Worked in a few boats shops doing glass work.
Old 09-13-2023, 08:59 AM
cottoneg
Drifting

Received 187 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Bailey78
Life is getting in the way of my project.
I pulled my shoulder out removing the engine from my car. Massage therapist isn't cheap. Trying to avoid the doctors office. Now we had to buy a new dryer today. That's even more out of my car budget. Seems like everything I had saved is disappearing fast than I can save it for the car.
The frame off work I was wanting to do is now not going to happen. But I still have a plan. I still have the car I waited forty years to get. I'm just pissed that things aren't going the way I planned. But hey that's life right ? I can still sand and strip the paint off the body. And wire brush the frame I can get to.
waiting on the parts to rebuild the rear suspension.
I'm still breathing so I still have hope of getting it done. Just not in the timeline I was hoping for.

I purchased my 1969 Corvette in 1974. Today at almost 70 and 2023, I am still working on it. One step at a time.
Bailey78 (09-13-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 03:40 PM
Vidjawd
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cottoneg
I purchased my 1969 Corvette in 1974. Today at almost 70 and 2023, I am still working on it. One step at a time.
Very nice ride pal
Bailey78 (09-14-2023)

Quick Reply: Ranting about Life