Sponsored by:

71 4 speed reverse lock out T handle

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2023, 06:51 PM
monue
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 71 4 speed reverse lock out T handle

One of the pull up ears on my 71 4 speed broke a couple years ago. I bought a new T handle with rod installed. Everything slid right into place with no effort. However, I can still put the car in reverse without pulling the T. Spring tension feels correct. I've tried dropping it in there in neutral, reverse etc but it behaves as if the rod is not making contact with anything. There are a few minor things on the car I've been attempting to tend to this summer. Anybody know whats wrong? Could I have bought the wrong replacement (length)? Or is there more to it than just dropping it in? Thanks for any help.
Old 08-09-2023, 07:12 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,989 Likes on 4,808 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Do you have a hurst shifter with a corvette handle on top
The following users liked this post:
73sbvert (08-10-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 07:22 PM
monue
Advanced

The car is basically stock. I assumed it was the muncie. I know the gears are very close together and the **** is black just the way it was originally made. There's never been any repair work or upgrades ever done to the transmission.
Old 08-10-2023, 05:19 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,368 Likes on 3,952 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

have you compared the the 2 rods?
Old 08-10-2023, 05:24 PM
73sbvert
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 72 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Do you have a hurst shifter with a corvette handle on top
I inherited my 73 with Hurst shifter and OEM shift handle including T lever.
The T doesn't do anything, just have to push a little harder to the left to get into the Reverse gate.

Not uncommon from what I understand.
Old 08-10-2023, 05:35 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

that sounds like you have a Hurst shifter. They make a look alike that looks like a stock shift lever but the T doesnt do anything. If you look under the boot the Hurst lever bolts onto the Hurst shifter from the side. If its a stock shifter the lever is part of the shifter and is not removable without total disassembly. When you say you have to push to go into reverse that is the Hurst hallmark. Either its a slap to go into the reverse gate or a push vertically down on handle to get it to go left into the reverse gate
Old 08-10-2023, 07:56 PM
monue
Advanced

I didn't even think to compare the rods. Now I don't know where the old rod is. I keep all of that stuff but I don't remember where I put that. You're right though. I should have done that. I'm probably gonna buy another one since they're not too expensive and make dang sure its the correct one. I just wasn't sure if there was more involved than just dropping it in.
Old 08-10-2023, 08:04 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

you may not have a stock shifter read my post above yours. I think you have a Hurst shifter and the Hurst look a like shift lever
Old 08-11-2023, 08:24 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,336 Posts

While there are three different length rods, I doubt you got the wrong one. 64-67 rods and reverse "T" are completely different then 68 up "T"s. The 68-76 rod (and the shifter it goes in) is shorter then 77-81's. So unless you have a 77-81 shifter (not impossible after 52 years), the rod would be to long, not too short. The 77-81 reverse rod won't go all the way into a 68-76 shifter.

The stock Muncie shifters weren't known for being very precise, so a lot of people prefer the Hurst shifter, but still want the stock look. That is were the replacement handle idea came from.

Below is a link to the replacement shifter handle sold for use on Hurst shifters. These handles are easy to identify because they bolt onto the shift body, while Muncie handles go into the shift body and are held in by a press pin. By feeling around the bottom of your shift boot you may be able to feel the attaching bolts to determine if you have a Hurst shifter and replacement handle. Worse case, pull the four screws holding the shift plate into the console, lift the shift plate up a little and peak under to see if the handle's bolted to the shifter.

This is what the Hurst replacement handle looks like.

https://www.volvette.com/SH006B.html

This is how the stock handle looks outside of the shifter body. The difference where it attaches is pretty obvious.

https://www.volvette.com/SH008A.html
The following users liked this post:
monue (08-11-2023)
Old 08-11-2023, 01:45 PM
wwiiavfan
Burning Brakes

Received 454 Likes on 311 Posts

Do you have the t-handle spring installed?
Old 08-11-2023, 03:29 PM
monue
Advanced

Yes. The T-handle spring is in the correct way. It feels perfect. Goes into reverse perfect. Changes gears perfect. Its just that it will go into reverse with out having to raise the T. I seriously doubt that the shifter has been changed to a Hurst. I don't know if any 71s were ever made with a factory installed Hurst shifter or not. Its a minor problem but it still bugs me.
Old 08-11-2023, 04:39 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,336 Posts

Originally Posted by monue
Yes. The T-handle spring is in the correct way. It feels perfect. Goes into reverse perfect. Changes gears perfect. Its just that it will go into reverse with out having to raise the T. I seriously doubt that the shifter has been changed to a Hurst. I don't know if any 71s were ever made with a factory installed Hurst shifter or not. Its a minor problem but it still bugs me.
No Corvette ever left the factory with a Hurst shifter.....but a whole lot of them have had Hurst's swapped into them.
Old 08-11-2023, 05:15 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,167 Likes on 2,351 Posts

Originally Posted by monue
... It feels perfect. Goes into reverse perfect. Changes gears perfect. Its just that it will go into reverse with out having to raise the T. ...
That sounds like a Hurst shifter, properly adjusted, with a well-functioning transmission. I sometimes have to slap the ball to the left to click it into reverse. Is the shifter always in the 3-4 gate, unless you purposefully move it to the left into the 1-2 gate?

You won't be able to tell from the top unless you remove the center console and shift boot. However, in 30 seconds in the garage with a phone, you can end all of this speculation.

Here's what a Hurst Competition Plus looks like mounted on a B&W Super T10. If you get under the car, it should be obvious. It is mounted to the transmission, not to the crossmember. Try to hold the camera still, unlike what I did.

Get notified of new replies

To 71 4 speed reverse lock out T handle

Quick Reply: 71 4 speed reverse lock out T handle