Sponsored by:

Whats going on with Ecklers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2023, 11:24 AM
RickM Z06
Racer

Received 243 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 4-vettes
That blows! I think you should name them.
They are a site sponsor and me being fairly new here, not sure it would be cool to name them.
But I do have a question. What is the opposite of 'bottom'?
RickM
Old 06-17-2023, 01:15 PM
Tranz Zam
Burning Brakes

Received 731 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by RickM Z06
They are a site sponsor and me being fairly new here, not sure it would be cool to name them.
RickM
Ahh, I see.

I'm of the opinion that just because a company is a sponsor, that shouldn't absolve them of any criticism.
Old 06-17-2023, 06:00 PM
orourke
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts

Ecklers. Gone are the days of the smell of fiberglass resin when you drove into the parking lot.
Old 06-17-2023, 07:39 PM
Redvette2
Drifting

Location: Loud, Raw and Dangerous 1968 327 4S in Southern California
Received 387 Likes on 278 Posts

I have had good luck with Corvette Pacifica. Here on the west coast of the US only a few hundred miles away from me. They also make many parts for Corvettes that other vendors sell (EC Products Design). You may want to check if they can ship to Europe. https://www.corvettepacifica.com/
Old 06-18-2023, 11:20 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Tranz Zam
I ordered something from them last May, said it was in stock, never saw it and got my money back after months of waiting. No communication on their end.
Originally Posted by jelliott25
I ordered a set of Lectric Limited wiring harnesses from Ecklers late last year. They charged my CC and marked the order as completed and shipped. After over a month of waiting and several phone calls where they told me Lectric Limited was the reason for delay I finally called LL and they, in a round about way let me know it was Ecklers issue.
Originally Posted by philadave19030
Showed they had products in stock but they actually weren’t etc. and getting them on the phone is like calling the president.
Originally Posted by airframer84
Last year I bought 2 sets of seat tracks, a month later I had one set and they could not find the other one but since it was in a shipping status they could not refund me.
The above appeared to be the problem that brought the end to the Eckler's we'd all dealt with for 40+ years.

It started just about two years ago, where their website showed things in stock, but they weren't, or the sales person would give a shipping date that wasn't accurate. They'd take payment but never ship the item(s). It appeared what they were doing was taking payment from one person and using it to pay for someone else's backorder. From what I was told, eventually they fell so far behind that the suppliers all started cutting them off and they couldn't fill those back orders. That's probably what Lectric Limited was alluding to.

As a wholesale customer, I had an assigned sales person and a direct line to call, which was great because I had someone who was familiar with me and stayed on top of my orders. About two years ago they started having a lot of turn over in sales and some of the new people were real con artists. They'd grab any incoming call and lied about the availability of my rep, I guess so they could grab the sale (and commission). My rep would give me an honest reply about availability, while the new people would tell you whatever they thought you wanted to hear.

I don't know if it was COVID, mismanagement, or just bad luck, but it was a shame to watch what was a good company quickly deteriorate.

You hate to see any Corvette vendor go away, and Eckler's had some of the best prices and lowest freight charges (especially from a wholesale basis), but at least there are other options for Corvette parts. As far as I'm concerned, what really hurts is what all of this did to some of their other companies like Rick's Camaro's, The El Camino Store, Mac's Ford, Late Great Chevy's etc. I don't know what all this is going to do to these companies going forward, but I thought Rick's was the best Camaro company, and The El Camino Store and Chevy Late Greats were both super parts sources, for me anyway.

Old 06-18-2023, 12:22 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,666 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62

It appeared what they were doing was taking payment from one person and using it to pay for someone else's backorder. From what I was told, eventually they fell so far behind that the suppliers all started cutting them off and they couldn't fill those back orders.

About two years ago they started having a lot of turn over in sales and some of the new people were real con artists. They'd grab any incoming call and lied about the availability of my rep, I guess so they could grab the sale (and commission).
Unfortunately, this is all too common. There was a conman here for years clipping many guys with "custom" differential, TA, etc work. I'll call him Johnny Liar, seems appropriate. He was very good at ripping people off and if caught would blame it on someone else. A few guys here got trimmed hard, which in turn throws a bad light on honest workers who work hard at their business. Buyers beware and do your homework.
Old 06-18-2023, 12:38 PM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

All of the people that started these companies are about my age 79. Some had family in the business but some big company offers a lot of money to buy them out now its not about good products at reasonable prices but them making the most money they can before they run the business in the ground.SAD.Remember when all the guys used to come to BG in a pick up when repo items were just starting to be produced because we could not find any good used parts.
Old 06-18-2023, 02:27 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by kenba
All of the people that started these companies are about my age 79. Some had family in the business
I was little surprised by Central because Jerry had a son involved in the business, who I think had been involved in most of the day to day business anymore anyway. Paragon on the other hand didn't surprise me at all. When one of the partners passed away it put quite a burden on the surviving one. On top of that, the widow of the first partner wanted out of the business.

When Rich of Long Island Corvette passed away, it didn't seem like Kim had much interest in keeping her father's business going, but then considering how nasty she could be maybe she wasn't interested in the business from the start?

In the case of Eckler's, Ralph got out of the business years ago. I think it's had three owners since he sold out. The founder of Corvette America (AKA Auto Accessories & Top Flight) had a personal loss years ago which I believe led to him selling, and Corvette America having two or three owners since then too. The one thing all of these companies (and Zip too) have in common is that they were all owned by individuals before, but are now all part of large conglomerates.

Some of the Corvette companies are still individually owned. Some are still owned by the founders, while others are owned by individuals that bought them from the founder(s), but their numbers are dwindling. I'm guessing that eventually most of the other businesses in the hobby will be gobbled up, or fade away as their owners get older. At least one of the well known, surviving Corvette companies has been "available" for a few years, at what I'm guessing may be an unrealistic number.

Remember when all the guys used to come to BG in a pick up when repo items were just starting to be produced because we could not find any good used parts.
A pick up truck(?), that was big time, a friend of mine and I sold parts in the 70's at Carlisle, out of the back of his wife's Caprice wagon.

Originally Posted by GTR1999
Unfortunately, this is all too common. There was a conman here for years clipping many guys with "custom" differential, TA, etc work. I'll call him Johnny Liar, seems appropriate. He was very good at ripping people off and if caught would blame it on someone else. A few guys here got trimmed hard, which in turn throws a bad light on honest workers who work hard at their business. Buyers beware and do your homework.
Gary, that's probably why I never got bigger (or richer ).
The following 3 users liked this post by gbvette62:
general ike (06-18-2023), LenWoodruff (06-24-2023), loup68 (06-19-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 06:29 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 428 Likes on 323 Posts

I worked in maintenance for 34 years at the original Modern Tool & Die company in Parma (Cleveland), Ohio until they closed my plant. We made all of the Corvette radiator supports from c1-c-3's and other Corvette parts. We made a bunch of C-4 parts. I knew the original two owners and then the one owner's son when they retired.
I was shocked that Stanley, Black and Decker first bought 25% of the company and then bought the whole thing.
MTD inc was one of the largest family held companies in America. They have plants overseas, also. Obviously the grand children did not want to work hard anymore. Lou.
The following users liked this post:
OldCarBum (06-20-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 08:57 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,357 Likes on 2,785 Posts

Originally Posted by RickM Z06
RickM
if you have something to say, such as reporting a problematic transaction, then say so in a factual thread in the Transaction Feeback section, rather than post vague references in another person’s thread. It’s not clever.

Originally Posted by Tranz Zam
Ahh, I see.

I'm of the opinion that just because a company is a sponsor, that shouldn't absolve them of any criticism.
Sponsors are not absolved of criticism any more than any other seller. As long as the transaction complaint is in the right section (see above) and not interfering in a sales thread or elsewhere outside that section.

Quick Reply: Whats going on with Ecklers?