Sponsored by:

Holes in AC air ducts

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2023, 08:27 AM
dcautomotive
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holes in AC air ducts

I have a 1980 corvette at my shop. One of the complaints the customer has is that there is still air coming out by the floor when the AC selector is on vent or AC. The selector is working properly. When it's on defrost, it comes out the defrost, heat then the actual floor vents. What I noticed is that there are two 1/2" diameter holes in the air ducts going to both sides of the car, This is where is the air is coming out when you put it on vent along with air coming out the actual vents. Doing some research, this looks as if this is normal. Just wondering why there are holes in the air ducts? I don't remember see this on any other car.

Thanks for your help.
Old 06-03-2023, 08:44 AM
interpon
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,038 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Could be switch not fully selecting
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-switch-2.html

also note fan always runs even off
Old 06-04-2023, 01:39 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by dcautomotive
I have a 1980 corvette at my shop. One of the complaints the customer has is that there is still air coming out by the floor when the AC selector is on vent or AC. The selector is working properly. When it's on defrost, it comes out the defrost, heat then the actual floor vents. What I noticed is that there are two 1/2" diameter holes in the air ducts going to both sides of the car, This is where is the air is coming out when you put it on vent along with air coming out the actual vents. Doing some research, this looks as if this is normal. Just wondering why there are holes in the air ducts? I don't remember see this on any other car.

Thanks for your help.
I noticed this on my 82 as well.... two holes about dime size on both pass and driver side blow air to the floor. I was going to put a small piece of duct tape or electrical tape over them to see if it would blow more air out of the vents... Then again, heat rises, so maybe cooling the lower air is what is intended....
Old 06-16-2023, 03:30 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

I sealed all of the holes and put new gaskets on the connections. I also did the C4 fan motor upgrade. Car is a black ‘81. Getting more flow for sure. I don’t need cold feet though.

Craig
Old 06-16-2023, 06:40 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 802 Likes on 550 Posts

my all original 78 also has those holes. It makes sense to me since it directs air ( warm or cold) onto my legs/feet. if they are closed off the air will go to the lower dash vent and comet there.

Get notified of new replies

To Holes in AC air ducts

Quick Reply: Holes in AC air ducts