Sponsored by:

Headlights made in the USA

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2023, 05:05 PM
cottoneg
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Default Headlights made in the USA

As I get older, my night vision isn’t what it used to be. So I read this post with much interest: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-upgrade.html

I like these bulbs: Crystal Clear Version: https://www.octanelighting.com/5-34-...-g5-led-2.html

My only issue is they are made in China. I have not heard too many good things about China’s LED bulbs.

Any good USA bulbs? Need something as bright as above or brighter. Must be plug and play and work with stock wires.

The following 2 users liked this post by cottoneg:
interpon (04-13-2023), onaqwst (04-21-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 06:39 PM
Fly skids up!
Burning Brakes

Received 613 Likes on 376 Posts

Any good USA TV's? My old Dumont is starting to give out. It's more about how the light is reflected then how bright the bulb is.
Old 04-13-2023, 09:00 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 611 Likes on 404 Posts

The threads you referenced the best there is. Both Holley and Octane, you won't find any better made anywhere, thousands of satisfied customers. They are engineered in the U.S.A. None better (if any) are actually made in the U.S.A. It's like Sony TVs or Nikon cameras, buy what you need.

Last edited by C3 Stroker; 04-13-2023 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-17-2023, 10:29 PM
JOZW30
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dapper lighting….best stuff.

Projected output (through an engineered optic) not reflected like old school stuff.

You get what you pay for.

Last edited by JOZW30; 04-17-2023 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Added detail
The following users liked this post:
onaqwst (04-21-2023)
Old 04-18-2023, 05:51 AM
PSU1985
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts

I put Holley Retrobright on my car. They’re pricey but they look like the old glass bulbs and they really light up the road. I hated to drive at night with those old dim yellow bulbs. I know there are a lot of comments about how bright led lights are but I haven’t had anyone flash their high beams at me yet. Do yourself a favor and get some new Holleys. They’re plug and play so no additional wiring is needed.
onaqwst (04-21-2023)
Old 04-21-2023, 09:13 PM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Looking at all 3 right now. Not sure if I want to go stock look or add the extra options.

Just ordered from Dapper since Holley was back-ordered till July

Last edited by onaqwst; 04-21-2023 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-22-2023, 07:53 AM
cottoneg
Drifting

Originally Posted by JOZW30

Projected output (through an engineered optic) not reflected like old school stuff.
Sorry, I don't understand that statement. What is Projected output vs reflected.
Old 04-22-2023, 07:59 AM
cottoneg
Drifting

Just to continue this, my body shop recommend Sylvania SilverStar. But they seem to be only 1,000 Lumens.

I considered Octane as they are 4,000 Lumens.

The Holly retro brightright are 3,000 Lumens.

I am not looking at the recommend Dapper lighting. They are 3,000 lumens. But I am guessing all “Lumens” are not created equal.

Will the Dappers be brighter than the Octane even at less Lumens?
Old 04-22-2023, 10:34 AM
JOZW30
Advanced

50 year old headlights use the parabolic dome at the rear of the assembly to reflect the light back out the front of the lens. Today with LEDs having a more compact directional light emitting surface, they can “direct” a higher percentage of the generated lumens through an engineered optic into a more efficient cutoff pattern.

Ever see your new Lexus headlight projected up against a wall or garage door? They’re is a level horizontal cut-off with a slight step near the center. This is because the optic isn’t throwing lumens up into space they are going exactly where they are needed.

When installed and adjusted properly, the Dapper headlights will have the same cut-off as your new car.

Have never used Holley’s stuff maybe they have great optics as well…..

Just because it has LEDs inside doesn’t mean it has good optics. Hence the $100 LED headlights throwing light every which way, appearing “too bright”, and blinding on-coming traffic (that and I’m sure most people throw them on the car and don’t properly adjust them).

cottoneg (04-22-2023)
Old 04-22-2023, 02:02 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cottoneg

Will the Dappers be brighter than the Octane even at less Lumens?
Short answer.....No. Lumens can be measured with a light meter. The higher, the brighter the light. That's like saying a Honda is faster at 30mph than a Corvette at 40 mph. The lumen is a (universal) measurement of brightness, and the correct way to compare.
Old 04-22-2023, 02:37 PM
JOZW30
Advanced

Originally Posted by C3 Stroker
Short answer.....No. Lumens can be measured with a light meter. The higher, the brighter the light. That's like saying a Honda is faster at 30mph than a Corvette at 40 mph. The lumen is a (universal) measurement of brightness, and the correct way to compare.
Sorry this not true. You can measure Lux or Foot Candles which is intensity at a specific surface or point in space on a hand held meter. In order to get total lumens from a lighting system it needs to measured in an integrating sphere.

If I have an “omni-directional” a-19 LED advertised as delivering 800lm, and then look at say a BR30 down light LED lamp also advertised as 800lm, the BR with all of is lumens within just a 110 degree beam will appear much brighter because the delivered lumens are in a narrower pattern.

Same principle here, engineered optic that meets/exceeds DOT cut-off will put a much higher percentage of its initial lumens where they are needed. A crappy reflector/optic will waste up 30% of the lumens produce at the LED (diode) level.
Old 04-22-2023, 09:02 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Sorry this not true. You can measure Lux or Foot Candles which is intensity at a specific surface or point in space on a hand held meter. In order to get total lumens from a lighting system it needs to measured in an integrating sphere.................................. ..
Understood......you have to measure cross brands side by side to be totally accurate comparing advertised lumen brighness. But compaing numbers from the same brand using the same reflector structure, their higher numbered lumen ratings will be brighter.
Old 04-22-2023, 11:09 PM
JOZW30
Advanced

That is true.

I know for sure that I would rather have 3000lm in a perfect cutoff pattern than 5000lm where half of them are lighting the sky or oncoming traffic.

Thats why when the OP asked for the best USA made headlights I recommended Dapper. I have installed (and properly aimed) 5 sets of these in my personal as well as customers cars (non-C3) and know how well they work compared to cheaper, less engineered products.

Like I said, have no idea how good or bad the Holley product might be as I haven’t tried them.

Just don’t buy headlights based on “advertised” lumen output alone.
Old 04-22-2023, 11:42 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

That is true.

I know for sure that I would rather have 3000lm in a perfect cutoff pattern than 5000lm where half of them are lighting the sky or oncoming traffic.

Thats why when the OP asked for the best USA made headlights I recommended Dapper. I have installed (and properly aimed) 5 sets of these in my personal as well as customers cars (non-C3) and know how well they work compared to cheaper, less engineered products..............
Totally agree on the Dappers. I would have bought them, but at the time my budget was protesting the price. If I had to do it over again, I'd definitely get them.
Old 04-23-2023, 10:08 AM
JOZW30
Advanced

It’s all good, I definitely understand the cost issues on some of these parts.
Old 05-07-2023, 06:54 AM
Roger Dodger
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 52 Posts

I just ordered the Holley Classic White.

I didn't feel like the Modern White would suit the look of the car for that year (1970), plus I didn't want to wait until the end of July. In any event, either one should definitely be an improvement with what's on now.

I drove the car last summer at night for the first time and it was an experience ..... had to really concentrate to see the road ahead. Pretty scary.
Old 05-25-2023, 05:12 PM
dapperlighting
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lumens is really an awful way of measuring any kind of output. Manufacturers typically use the theoretical max lumen output of the LED chips which doesn't take into consideration optical (~20%) or thermal (~10%) loss. You often see 10,000- 50,000 lumen lights being advertised on Amazon. We've tested a 50,000 lumen against our 3,000 lumen bulb in our housings and seen higher lux on ours. Imagine the bulb is a motor and the housing is the vehicle. If you put an LS3 into a 40,000lb bus, it doesn't matter if it makes 500hp, it's still going to be slow... same concept with headlights.

Our lights theoretical lumen total is 3000 lumens but we use a rough effective lumen calculation of 2400. We see about a 20% optical loss from our testing (which is in CD).

Real optical testing is all done in CD anyway so lumen/lux is kind of irrelevant.

Regardless, please take all of the lumens/lux with a grain of salt. If they don't show you output photos, they are hiding something... Hope this helps!

Get notified of new replies

To Headlights made in the USA

Old 05-27-2023, 08:13 AM
cottoneg
Drifting

Hello Dapper Lighting.

Do Corvette Forum members get a discount?
Old 05-27-2023, 08:21 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,368 Likes on 3,952 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

seen the octanes first hand...they are on my list.
Old 05-27-2023, 12:38 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by dapperlighting
Real optical testing is all done in CD anyway so lumen/lux is kind of irrelevant.

Regardless, please take all of the lumens/lux with a grain of salt. If they don't show you output photos, they are hiding something... Hope this helps!

Do those lights meet FMVSS safety standards for actual headlights? Or have they been tested/approved in any European country?

If you really want to impress me, earn a (E1) ore (E4) mark for your lighting system. I'm not sure if that's even possible, although I've heard it's getting a little more in the realm of possibility for some European countries.

Of all the horrible LED "headlights" I've seen, those look to be the least horrible and least unsafe.

And to others on this thread, the danger from these headlights isn't so much the light you throw at oncoming drivers. That's annoying, but I've never witnessed an accident caused by that. The danger is the glare light thrown in useless places that actually reduces your night vision and makes it harder for you to avoid a single vehicle accident, where you strike an obstruction in the road or drive off the road because you can't adequately see where you're going. I've witnessed several accidents of that type involving a single car with horrible LED "headlights," including one where I was in the passenger seat when the vehicle struck a tree that had fallen across the road. And the body shop I use has gotten a lot of customer pay (not insurance) business from cars with LED "headlights" with damage from single vehicle accidents.

Quick Reply: Headlights made in the USA