C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When you were a kid/teen, who owned the Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2023, 01:55 PM
2tone81
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our high school auto shop teacher had an orange lt-1. He bought it when he worked for GM. Definitely the coolest car in the school parking lot. Don’t think any students worked on that for him but we did work on other teachers cars. He still has that vette.
The following users liked this post:
AKjeff (04-01-2023)
Old 04-01-2023, 08:23 PM
blueL48
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts

my grandfather had a 76 stingray he had bought new and my brothers,cousins and i all used to fight over who would get it. lol needless to say he sold out of the family when we were all in our 20’s. since i always wanted a C3 i decided to go with the 80 which is the year i was born. which leads to one of the coolest things about the vette i bought last year. my bday is 2/28/80 my mom was induced so i wasn’t born on 2/29/80. now i’m in the middle of redoing my interior and when i pulled the seats apart the stamps on the back are 2/28/80&2/29/80

mind blown 🤯

The following 3 users liked this post by blueL48:
AKjeff (04-01-2023), OldCarBum (04-03-2023), Rescue Rogers (04-02-2023)
Old 04-01-2023, 11:15 PM
jersey68l36
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I was 9-10 at the time and during the early 60's Eddie the mechanic who was in his 20's drove a two top solid lifter, fuelie, honduras maroon with fawn interior '62, along with Keystone Classic wheels. He worked at Bob's Texaco gas station that was at the end of our block. One of the neighbor's,another young guy also worked at Bob's,and he had a silver blue '61 that was a mild custom, ie, 3 tail lights all emblems and lettering removed, and a '58 washboard hood and a 327 motor. He gave me my first Corvette ride. But, Eddie's C1 was the ride, he later traded that stunning C1 for a Nassau Blue '66 2 top with 427/425, but always loved that '62.

Senior year in HS, even traded my first car, a '65 GTO for a '62 red/red white top C1. Back in the day, they were $1,000 used cars, Again traded, the C1 plus $1,000 in the summer of '71 for a '68 Hemi GTX that I could not keep tuned as that Hemi was worked with12.5 compression, big Crower cam, dividers was cut out on the intake and other mods

At 19 years old, In spring of '72, was finally able to sell-off that Hemi beast, and brought my 2nd Corvette, a '68, International blue, L36, 2 top that I still own. Back when I first brought the C3, stopped at the gas station where Eddie now worked to show it off to him.
The following 3 users liked this post by jersey68l36:
AKjeff (04-02-2023), OldCarBum (04-03-2023), wadenelson (04-03-2023)
Old 04-02-2023, 12:29 PM
sahhas
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

in the 70s when i was growing up, my 5th grade baseball coach’s family owned 2 70s corvettes. they had a house w/ a pool, i have no idea what they did, but they were known as “ rich” at that time!!
a friend of my dad’s owned a concrete company, and he had a red corvette that we would usually see parked at his house when we went to sunday dinner as a family.
when i was in 8 th grade, my neighbor friend who was 2 years older had pretty rich grandparents, for a long while at this closed restaurant near us was a mid- 70s red corvette for sale. he told me once his grandparents would have bought it for him as a HS car except it was a stick…. i was always jealous after hearing that!! i had a 75 vega wagon!!!
guy who lived behind us had a huge garage and was always working on the vettes, i think there were 3 of them, they were in primer grey, and sometimes he’d drive them down the street for tests, and they always sounded sooooo cool. he was kind of a grumpy guy, hated kids- we could never be on his yard! but my dad was friendly w/ him. funny thing he briefly married a lady who had 4 kids… marriage didn’t last long… but his corvettes were cool!!! i always wondered if he sold them or what happened to them…
one time in HS, girl whose dad was an orthodontist drove her dad’s yellow corvette to school, i used to see it parked outside their house sometimes, but it was usually in the garage!!!
Old 04-02-2023, 11:16 PM
Varmintmist
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 68 Posts

It was ME!!
Buddies were driving Mustangs, Road Runners and Chargers. I helped the owner of a tire shop unload a cherry white on red 58 convertible while getting 10.00-20's mounted, kinda got the bug.
I went into the Corps and I had time between boot and A school, so they made me TAD to the local recruiter for a month. While there, I drove past a yellow 69 ragtop with a for sale sign on it. Went to the bank and owned it the next day.
The following users liked this post:
wadenelson (04-03-2023)
Old 04-06-2023, 01:44 PM
Johnnyracer
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 49 Posts

Uncle Tom had a 65 blue blue 4 speed coupe. I'll have one someday
Old 04-07-2023, 03:27 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,334 Likes on 966 Posts

I bought my 68 in 72 at age 19. I was born in Brooklyn and muscle cars and street racing was all the rage. Joel Rosen went to our high school and even before he got involved in Motion, he was the man. All the guys wanted Motion Vettes. Who could forget National Speedway in eastern Long Island. Sunday, Sunday, Sunday. Great times. Jerry
Old 04-08-2023, 04:11 AM
Don77
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts

When I was about 9 a guy my dad worked with had a green Corvette. I remember my dad driving me and my sister around our neighborhood. So,e time later we had moved and him and his wife, and new baby came to our new house.

50 years later I still remember my dad telling them to not leave it on the street - to park in the driveway. They refused saying they weren’t going to stay long.

an older couple were driving down the street and were looking at our recently built house and smashed the Corvette that was sitting on the street. Years later thee were still fiberglass remnants in our yard. We had moved in late 74 so believe the car was either a 73 or 74.

fast forward several years and I’m working in a gas station. I guy who lived near there brought his 73 vert in running really rich. That was the first carb I ever rebuilt…with the help of my boss.

About the same time, a good friend, who had worked for his dad for years in a family owned business, bought his first car, a 68 4 speed rag top. He was a year or 2 older than me. Wrecked it twice before he graduated high school, both times he was backing up.

Quick Reply: When you were a kid/teen, who owned the Corvette?