C3 stereo sound upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2023, 05:38 PM
Golfobsessed
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 382 Likes on 234 Posts
Default C3 stereo sound upgrade

Hello all, I am trying to balance keeping the car as original as possible but also make it better suited for me. (69 convertible)

I need better tunes from original, i do not want any mods and don't need a blasting system, just something better than stock radio/speakers.

Any suggestions on a mild sound upgrade, should I just change speakers? would like to add a rear speaker bar but everything is coupe only.

Plan ok keeping all original equipment and finding a stereo with an original look just a better sound.

Also don't want to break the bank, I installed a system from custom car sound in my 64 and was a decent upgrade
Old 02-15-2023, 08:38 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,168 Likes on 2,352 Posts

I would have suggested a Bluetooth head unit wired to new speakers in the existing locations. Perhaps a subwoofer in the jack compartment (carry a AAA card instead).

But the really low-hanging fruit is a nice Bluetooth speaker, like this Bose Soundlink Mini II, if you can find one. I've driven thousands of miles with that speaker, or a similar one, and it beats listening to the road noise in my truck. And it's great for the garage, too!

In a Corvette Convertible, though, isn't the sweet V8 music enough.
The following users liked this post:
jodfit (02-16-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 05:30 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 717 Likes on 465 Posts

Consider contacting Precision Stereo that rebuilds original Delco radios but has booster kits. Just had my Pace Car 8-track rebuilt with upgrades.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/art...e-got-the-jack
The following 2 users liked this post by hunt4cleanair:
'73and'75 (02-16-2023), interpon (02-18-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 02:43 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 600 Likes on 486 Posts

The biggest problem is enough watts to volume. Look into adding an amplifier. I have mine were the jack would be.
Old 02-16-2023, 04:13 PM
jodfit
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

I carry a Bluetooth speaker in my '68 convertible, I like it WAY better.
Bikespace (02-16-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 08:25 PM
Golfobsessed
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks guys, spoke with a company today about a set up, nothing fancy just wanted to make sure I could get correct kick panel speakers that will fit... gonna add speaker boxes for the rear with quick disconnects, nothing too fancy just a step up from factory.
Old 02-18-2023, 01:10 AM
Crimson Thunder
Burning Brakes

Received 445 Likes on 273 Posts

If I had it to do all over again I would just get a bluetooth amp and hide it somewhere and play music off my phone. I sent my factory radio out about 12 years ago and had all the electronics in it updated to modern specs (45 watts x4 with RCA outputs). I could have bought three bluetooth amps for what the conversion cost.
The following 3 users liked this post by Crimson Thunder:
Bikespace (02-18-2023), jodfit (02-18-2023), pigfarmer (02-19-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 03:02 AM
jeffrey864
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

My way was also to upgrade the original radio with modern technology and install a pair of stereo speakers. Then you have decent sound and not more.

Yeah, it was expensive but they looks and feel like original.
Old 02-18-2023, 03:14 PM
HPRifleman
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jodfit
I carry a Bluetooth speaker in my '68 convertible, I like it WAY better.
Which one do you use?

I do the same thing but the speaker that I have only provides mediocre sound quality.
jodfit (02-18-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 03:33 PM
pigfarmer
Burning Brakes

Received 295 Likes on 158 Posts

this was really easy to do
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...o-options.html
Old 02-18-2023, 04:30 PM
dan1495
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 186 Posts
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I have a pair of JBL Charge 5 Bluetooth speakers I use in the garage and car with my iPhone. They sound pretty decent and can be paired to provide stereo sound.
pigfarmer (02-19-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 04:37 PM
Golfobsessed
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

So are you guys saying your using rechargeable Bluetooth speakers in the rear of the car and just connecting your phone to them for music?

How's the sound? Any issues with loosing connectivity on your phone?

Just look up a few that will pair together for stereo
Old 02-18-2023, 06:33 PM
jodfit
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

https://santanasounds.com/collection...r-holiday-sale I'm not going to say it's the best speaker in the world, but the design is convenient, and the look is exactly what I was after.
Old 02-18-2023, 06:37 PM
Golfobsessed
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jodfit
https://santanasounds.com/collection...r-holiday-sale I'm not going to say it's the best speaker in the world, but the design is convenient, and the look is exactly what I was after.
thanks guys... I'm actually looking at them now, I have them for my backbyard or golfing and they sound good, never thought about it for the back of my car.
I am going to try one, some even come as pairs to sync, i wont have to change my stock configuration if it works decent.
jodfit (02-18-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 06:50 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,168 Likes on 2,352 Posts

The Bose one I linked in post #2 is really nice, far better than the some of the other cheap options I've tried. But perhaps discontinued.

And, yes, it will fill a crew cab truck with an acceptable level of high-quality, stereo sound. I don't have a Corvette to test them on, as my 80 has side pipes, and my 79 has a trash-looking 1-DIN stereo put in by the PO.

If you can find a Bose Bluetooth speaker at Costco, give a listen and decide.
Old 02-18-2023, 06:55 PM
Golfobsessed
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bikespace
The Bose one I linked in post #2 is really nice, far better than the some of the other cheap options I've tried. But perhaps discontinued.

And, yes, it will fill a crew cab truck with an acceptable level of high-quality, stereo sound. I don't have a Corvette to test them on, as my 80 has side pipes, and my 79 has a trash-looking 1-DIN stereo put in by the PO.

If you can find a Bose Bluetooth speaker at Costco, give a listen and decide.
thanks, looking at Bose and JBL, both good quality and reviews, I have side pipes as well but still want a little better and clearer than the stock sound
Old 02-19-2023, 06:14 AM
pigfarmer
Burning Brakes

Received 295 Likes on 158 Posts

I did that a couple of years with a pair of inexpensive Oontz Angle speakers that pair to each other for discrete left/right and to the phone. Works fine even in a convertible with side pipes. The sound isn't all that great but I never really cared all that much as there were more important things on the car to spend time and money on.What I found after a few seasons of this is:
  • You have to really secure them somehow - something I never really figured out. They wander around.
  • Loose objects in the back will become dangerous projectiles in an accident.
  • They're just sitting there easily ripped off. Maybe less of a problem in a coupe.
  • Trying to fool with an iPhone while driving a 4-speed with the top down is just stupid. I can't see the damned screen and discovered a feature that will dial 911 if you squeeze the buttons on the side a certain way. Twice. So I bought a small Bluetooth remote to avoid that and now it's like trying to fool with a small sliver of soap while driving. To hell with that.
  • For me to reach my radio I have to lean forward just a bit too much and I am one of those that changes songs a lot.
  • OK, last one. You know those guys that reenact the Civil War, put on the uniforms and old weapons and so forth? They have a term called 'defarbing'. Farb is far be it from reality - meaning they take pains to not have obviously modern accoutrements visible anywhere. They de-farb themselves to incredible degrees. That's sort of how I look at my 'vette. You glance in and see absolutely nothing that wouldn't have been in there back in the day. No farbs sticking out of the lighter, no phone mount, zip.

Nothing wrong with the portable BT speakers but I had been thinking of a boom box type, some even come with remotes. You can look through marine products and find all sorts of standalones. Probably better sound and easier to secure.

As for what I put it all I can say is if I can do it anybody can. I repaired and cleaned up my storage compartments while I did this. If I didn't do that it would have been just and afternoon project. The only permanent connection to the car is the speaker boxes and that's just four screws. Battery behind the seat if a gift for a project like that so I took advantage of it. Only connection that took some contortion was the one wire I ran to the fuse box for switched 12v. With only two speakers on a bridged channels and a sub there is no need for front speakers. I didn't intend to put in a blaster but don't mind at all it turned out that way.
The following 2 users liked this post by pigfarmer:
C3Highway (02-19-2023), leigh1322 (02-20-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To C3 stereo sound upgrade

Old 02-19-2023, 10:20 AM
C3Highway
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by pigfarmer
That's sort of how I look at my 'vette. You glance in and see absolutely nothing that wouldn't have been in there back in the day. No farbs sticking out of the lighter, no phone mount, zip.

That`s how I feel.
Old 02-20-2023, 03:31 PM
leigh1322
Old Pro Solo Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,607 Posts

I just finished researching this. Mailing my radio out tomorrow.

Speakers are the most important for quality sound.
Stock speakers are 10 ohm, and you can not find high quality replacements.
Aftermarket speakers ones are usually 4 ohm and while you can find some good ones, but you can not drive those with a stock radio.

The Corvette suppliers offer a modern head unit that is "kind of" like an original, but it sounds good. I believe it says Corvette on it, or has digital numbers.
Like some others, I want a more correct look.
Here is one of those:
https://www.retromanufacturing.com/c...41993271541916

I found two ways to maintain the correct look.
Antique American Radio makes brand new units that look 100% correct for our cars, and have Bluetooth, etc.
https://radiosforoldcars.com/
They even have a green dial and a white dial version.

I am going to upgrade my original OEM radio with Aurora electronics internals.
https://www.tech-retro.com/aurora-design/home.html
They have many installers to choose from.
I will add: Digital tuner, HD radio, bluetooth for music & cell phone, USB, AUX, RCA output jacks for AMP and Subwoofer, subwoofer controls and crossovers
This will be slightly less than the antique radio version, and have many more modern features than that one, and I can add amps if needed to hear it over the sound of my BB! LOL

Old 02-20-2023, 04:23 PM
interpon
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,038 Likes on 1,560 Posts

cannot wait to 'hear' how it comes out!

fyi 10 ohm quality USA replacements i got here just for reference..
http://turnswitch.com/speakers.htm

Quick Reply: C3 stereo sound upgrade