Sponsored by:

C3 stereo sound upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 12:18 AM
ajchance
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

71 BB vert:

Built a dummy wall with Kenwood Bluetooth amp and JBL 6x9s. JBL speakers for the kick panels were too deep so had to go with the Kicker marine speakers. The Kenwood unit has an aux input that you can run the original radio. Also have a powered 10 inch subwoofer in the jack compartment. After all installed my impression is that the kicker speakers are the key. The back panel doesn’t contribute near as much as you would think. And a big block at highway speeds makes any sound system obsolete anyway! Good luck.
The following 3 users liked this post by ajchance:
Bikespace (02-21-2023), leigh1322 (02-21-2023), pigfarmer (02-21-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 05:54 AM
pigfarmer
Burning Brakes

Received 295 Likes on 158 Posts

However you choose to do it don't go shopping in the dumbass aisle at the local stupid store. This is what I found in mine when I bought it a few years ago and promptly yanked out. I was afraid someone might think I did that. The previous owner cut through the steel behind the seats to put these in. Clever. I'd say Bubba but won't because it's an insult to Bubba.

They were 4 ohm speakers connected to the factory stereo that wants 10 ohm speakers and literally crushed behind the seat backs. Big surprise - you can barely hear them and they sounded horrible. No tunes was better than that, which is what led me to the portable BT cans, which led me to finally putting something in I can live with.

Last edited by pigfarmer; 02-21-2023 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-21-2023, 06:55 AM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 430 Likes on 308 Posts

If you're considering just a bluetooth speaker, get a JBL over a Bose. I have a Bose and my wife has a JBL and the JBL sounds better and like mentioned you can pair 2 JBL's together if you want. Both play plenty loud to be heard over my headers and flowmasters.
The following users liked this post:
pigfarmer (02-21-2023)
Old 02-21-2023, 07:47 AM
pigfarmer
Burning Brakes

Received 295 Likes on 158 Posts

Agreed on the Kickers. I used 46CSC6934 CS Series 6"x9" 3-ways on a bridged channel and those nice, solid boxes I bought.
Old 02-21-2023, 08:19 AM
Golfobsessed
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 382 Likes on 234 Posts

Thanks again guys, definitely decided at this point on bluetooth speakers and was gonna be JBL or Bose, haven't purchased yet only because I'm traveling for work and still looking at best option in both sound... I do want to be able to pair two together and also be able to stabilize them the easiest.
This will allow me to keep all the original equipment in place.
We are in the middle of having a pool put in the back yard so if it isn't quite what I want I can always use the Bluetooth speakers in the back yard.
leigh1322 (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 05:07 PM
Elcransonator
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by leigh1322
I just finished researching this. Mailing my radio out tomorrow.

Speakers are the most important for quality sound.
Stock speakers are 10 ohm, and you can not find high quality replacements.
Aftermarket speakers ones are usually 4 ohm and while you can find some good ones, but you can not drive those with a stock radio.

The Corvette suppliers offer a modern head unit that is "kind of" like an original, but it sounds good. I believe it says Corvette on it, or has digital numbers.
Like some others, I want a more correct look.
Here is one of those:
https://www.retromanufacturing.com/c...41993271541916

I found two ways to maintain the correct look.
Antique American Radio makes brand new units that look 100% correct for our cars, and have Bluetooth, etc.
https://radiosforoldcars.com/
They even have a green dial and a white dial version.

I am going to upgrade my original OEM radio with Aurora electronics internals.
https://www.tech-retro.com/aurora-design/home.html
They have many installers to choose from.
I will add: Digital tuner, HD radio, bluetooth for music & cell phone, USB, AUX, RCA output jacks for AMP and Subwoofer, subwoofer controls and crossovers
This will be slightly less than the antique radio version, and have many more modern features than that one, and I can add amps if needed to hear it over the sound of my BB! LOL
So you are gonna use the : https://www.tech-retro.com/aurora-design/home.html people?
It looks like their website says that you keep your original radio (they just add updated guts), not new radio that "looks exactly like the original." That is what I want, no replica. Mine says "Delco" down in bottom of tuner face on my original AM/FM stereo for the'73.

I sent it off to get repaired last fall (FM band not working) and got it back in late December. It worked fine for 2-3 weeks and now it's doing the same thing again. Or I should say, it is now intermittent. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't - very frustrating.
Old 02-23-2023, 06:12 PM
leigh1322
Old Pro Solo Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Yes I selected Mike Frenchenk at retro radio
Just because he is in Pa near me, and near Carlisle.
https://retroradio.biz/
I talked to him today, shipping it out tommorrow.
I would rather have a new computer chip in mine, than 50 year old repaired/replaced capacitors.
They put brand new circuit boards inside the OEM box, and the dial is untouched, just cleaned up.
The Aurora chips have great reviews online and are state of the art.

Here is a picture of the inside of a converted Studebaker radio, you can see the new chip.

Here is a video of a 76 Corvette Radio that was converted this way at Ricks Radios in VA, another Aurora installer.

Beware most of these guys are so backed up, due to high demand, they have a 5-6 month backlog. But I'm willing to wait.
Old 02-24-2023, 06:14 PM
Aquarian
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts

I Use a Bullfrog blue tooth speaker when driving around, sound is great and volume goes way higher then i want...
Old 02-25-2023, 09:48 AM
Elcransonator
Burning Brakes

Leigh1322,
Yeah that looks pretty cool and is what I want (keeping the face/controls original). I couldn't care less what the guts of the radio are made of, just want it to work when I turn it on.
Thx
Elcran
Old 02-25-2023, 09:58 AM
leigh1322
Old Pro Solo Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

The am/fm amplifier guts get replaced for about $400. And then you can run normal (better quality) aftermarket 4 ohm speakers, and have 45W / channel.

I do have a 2nd 72 Radio for a core if anyone wants it.
Old 02-25-2023, 10:03 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,168 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by leigh1322
The am/fm amplifier guts get replaced for about $400. And then you can run normal (better quality) aftermarket 4 ohm speakers, and have 45W / channel.

I do have a 2nd 72 Radio for a core if anyone wants it.
That is a clean way to do it if you want both appearance and functionality.

For $400, does it at least have RCA outputs to run an amp? If you only care about sound, and stock appearance, a hidden bluetooth amp/head unit may allow for better sound quality and amplitude, while being easier to expand. Your stock radio would just be along for the ride (but you could have it light up at least).
Old 02-25-2023, 11:31 AM
KS69Coupe
Drifting

Received 213 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Golfobsessed
Thanks again guys, definitely decided at this point on bluetooth speakers and was gonna be JBL or Bose, haven't purchased yet only because I'm traveling for work and still looking at best option in both sound... I do want to be able to pair two together and also be able to stabilize them the easiest.
This will allow me to keep all the original equipment in place.
We are in the middle of having a pool put in the back yard so if it isn't quite what I want I can always use the Bluetooth speakers in the back yard.
Regarding bluetooth speakers, I like the convenience of taking them wherever I go. Put them in your car, by the pool, in the golf cart, in your garage, working on projects around the house, beer with the neighbors around the back yard BBQ, etc. Sync to your phone's bluetooth and away you go. Honestly, speaker sound quality and volume are mute points with sidepipes anyway. Top down or windows down, Forget About It! I can only tell that music is playing...barely.
Old 02-25-2023, 12:13 PM
leigh1322
Old Pro Solo Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bikespace
That is a clean way to do it if you want both appearance and functionality.

For $400, does it at least have RCA outputs to run an amp? If you only care about sound, and stock appearance, a hidden bluetooth amp/head unit may allow for better sound quality and amplitude, while being easier to expand. Your stock radio would just be along for the ride (but you could have it light up at least).
Yes you can add a normal speaker amp or a subwoofer amp or both.
More volume is a good thing in these cars!
There is not enough already!
Bikespace (02-25-2023)
Old 02-25-2023, 04:07 PM
Elcransonator
Burning Brakes

I've noticed when my intermittent FM stereo is working the sound/quality of the old speakers playing Santana or whatever on an oldies station is like a time machine. I feel kinda like I'm back there in the '70s again. I'm certain it has nothing to do with the window pane LSD that I dropped the hour before.
[humor]

Quick Reply: C3 stereo sound upgrade