Sponsored by:

Intermittent Behavior with Quartz Clock

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2023, 12:09 AM
pgtr
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Intermittent Behavior with Quartz Clock

My C3 has had a quartz clock conversion or replacement for a long time from a previous owner (though I don't remember it working).

When I had the dash out recently to service bulbs etc. I bench tested the clock and it seemed to work fine (if not a bit 'noisy' - could hear motor or mechanism churning inside - is that normal?). When I had the console wired up and positioned just before reinstalling - tested fine again.

After everything was buttoned up I noticed it was dead. I partially pulled the center console rearward and jiggled what appeared to be a loose wire and it worked again. So I made double sure the connector was fully and snugly on the clock terminal. Tested and started to re-assemble again. This time connected battery and watched clock as I started to position console back in place. It almost immediately stopped working as I positioned the center console back in place.

So again pulled the console back, just touched or jiggled the (snugly installed) connector and it stops and starts. Turns out it's super sensitive to touching, flexing, wiggling - basically if I breath on it - it can stop. The issue is not in the wire, connector or connection but the flat flat terminal that is screwed to the rubber grommet and inner workings. If that terminal flexes in the tiniest bit it doesn't work.

When it stops and starts as I jiggle it - upon restart it has a rather strange behavior of actually turning backwards about 5 seconds and then reversing and going clockwise.

I checked for continuity (basically a short) between the terminal and metal ground on the back of the console as I wiggled the terminal - no continuity so doesn't appear to be any shorting from the connector flexing.

Short of pulling the entire console (sigh) and disassembling everything - any suggestions on what might be going on here? (currently center gauge console is partially pulled back to give a little access from above is all)

Thanks,

Old 02-07-2023, 07:34 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

it is not normal for the clock to work in a C3.
The following 4 users liked this post by derekderek:
doorgunner (02-07-2023), pigfarmer (02-07-2023), resdoggie (02-07-2023), Two C3's 4 me (02-15-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 09:33 AM
pigfarmer
Burning Brakes

Received 295 Likes on 158 Posts

Yeah, well mine had been absolutely perfect for years even after the whole dash has been out more than once. It got wonky when I took out the radio to send it off for restoration. Long story short I think it's the console ground because I had the radio bonded to one of the dash supports in my convertible, which it ain't now and the clock's weird. Unrelated I recently found a wire in the jack compartment that had been for the factory alarm system that is run directly to the frame underneath. Since I have the park console loose I may just run that up close to the dash and make a bonding bridge of some sort when I put it all back together.
Old 02-07-2023, 09:28 PM
pgtr
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

All the 1-wire lights in the center console work fine so they must be grounding OK at the back of the console. I think I added an additional ground strap from the back of the console to the body but I don't recall for sure off hand (if I didn't it wouldn't hurt to add that.

I looked at some pictures and video on servicing these clocks. It looks like there may be an internal metal tab that grounds inside the can when it's assembled. And maybe (just a theory here...) when the rear positive terminal flexes in/out or whatever it could be ever so slightly distorting that internal ground contact. Just a theory. But at any rate it would require removing the console, disassembling from back and removing the clock to service further I suppose ... sigh... :o)

thx

Old 02-07-2023, 10:59 PM
Coronette
Drifting

Received 566 Likes on 312 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

That’s good information. My car had the alarm, but it’s gone. I should check the Jack area. All of my car’s fiberoptics and gauges work, but not the clock. I’m envious of anyone whose original clock works. I’ve seen some You Tube videos on how to fix them, so it probably isn’t as difficult as I think it is.

Growing up, my parents’ pride and joy was a late 1970s Buick Estate station wagon, the kind with the fake wood panel on the side. There was a massive quartz clock on the right dash. It quickly broke; I don’t think it lasted a year. That experience is pretty much why I don’t want to bother fixing my car’s clock. Plus, maybe I don’t want to see how long I’ve been driving around..
The following users liked this post:
pigfarmer (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 04:39 AM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,570 Likes on 2,757 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Just to say, I put a quartz conversion kit in mine back in the mid 90's.
And it still keeps perfect time.
I like having a working clock.
The following 2 users liked this post by 4-vettes:
C3Highway (02-11-2023), pigfarmer (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 07:18 AM
pigfarmer
Burning Brakes

Yeah, if it's there it ought to work correctly. Bugs me to not be right even though I use a battery disconnect more often than not. I'm sure there's some sort of psychological term for that ..... probably some pills that have a snappy jingle I can go ask my doctor for ....

I mentioned the ground only because I was following the symptoms and what changed last. It's probably the clock itself, maybe from me pawing at it resetting the time. I'll have a look when I put the radio back in. But, in the past I went through all the light and lamp sockets and terminals in the dash, replaced the missing ground strap between the starter and frame, yada yada yada. It exorcised a lot of ghosts I would have been chasing otherwise. Sometimes things that look fine aren't
Old 02-08-2023, 08:52 AM
interpon
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,038 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by pigfarmer
Yeah, if it's there it ought to work correctly. Bugs me to not be right even though I use a battery disconnect more often than not. I'm sure there's some sort of psychological term for that ..... probably some pills that have a snappy jingle I can go ask my doctor for ....

I mentioned the ground only because I was following the symptoms and what changed last. It's probably the clock itself, maybe from me pawing at it resetting the time. I'll have a look when I put the radio back in. But, in the past I went through all the light and lamp sockets and terminals in the dash, replaced the missing ground strap between the starter and frame, yada yada yada. It exorcised a lot of ghosts I would have been chasing otherwise. Sometimes things that look fine aren't
might i suggest a mechanical clock?
or Anacin

pigfarmer (02-09-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 07:45 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

of course interpon weighed in. he has 50% of the working-clock C3's in existence...
interpon (02-08-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 07:04 AM
pigfarmer
Burning Brakes

when I’m done with the dash clock I’ll move on to staring at my stove and microwave clocks and fiddling to get them perfectly synchronized…..
interpon (02-09-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To Intermittent Behavior with Quartz Clock

Quick Reply: Intermittent Behavior with Quartz Clock