Sponsored by:

Bought a 68' C3 Race Car!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2023, 10:49 AM
Tranz Zam
Burning Brakes

Received 732 Likes on 410 Posts

Now that's a Corvette!

Definitely keep us updated as you work on it.
Old 02-04-2023, 11:51 AM
AKjeff
Pro

Received 217 Likes on 154 Posts

I wonder if the relocated VIN tag will give you any issues if you have it inspected for street registration.
It may be easier to look into that, and find a work around if possible, before sourcing and attaching a windshield frame.
Old 02-04-2023, 05:33 PM
Tranz Zam
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AKjeff
I wonder if the relocated VIN tag will give you any issues if you have it inspected for street registration.
It may be easier to look into that, and find a work around if possible, before sourcing and attaching a windshield frame.
Just put it back on the new frame. Nobody will know. Ot leave it in the jamb. I've personally never had anyone check Vins during registration, or inspections.
Old 02-04-2023, 05:41 PM
Redvette2
Drifting

Location: Loud, Raw and Dangerous 1968 327 4S in Southern California
Received 387 Likes on 278 Posts

When I imported my 1968 Corvette from another state the DMV wanted to inspect the car. They did check the VIN numbers against the paperwork.
Old 02-04-2023, 07:45 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm green... I have raced various cars (FA, F-ford, GT-3, S2000, etc...), but thats the one. Get a provisional license and run that beast! yes, its expensive, but it's not as bad as you think, and you can always get your money back. If you want to sell it , I'll be here.

Hans
Old 02-05-2023, 10:24 AM
Tranz Zam
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Redvette2
When I imported my 1968 Corvette from another state the DMV wanted to inspect the car. They did check the VIN numbers against the paperwork.
That's strange. I guess I'm luckey enough that I dont have to deal with that stuff. Even when buying cars out of state with no title, I've never needed a vin check.

If that's the case for OP, it might not be a bad idea to move it back to the windshield frame.

Of course, this is all irrelevant, as nobody would do such a thing
Old 02-05-2023, 11:48 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,389 Likes on 3,961 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Every state is different...if it was a full restoration, rebuildinging the birdcage, everything back to original and welding the cut frame with the vin back where it belonged, everyone would saying what a great job it was....its everyones perspective and opinion.
Massachusetts doesnt give one turd what the car looks like, they just want a title or current registration and a handful of green backs....they just want to tax and fee you to death. My 68 sight unseen was worth $1500 to register. Didnt matter if i was registering a title for a parts car or a mint NCRS car...just give me the taxes....every state is different
The following 2 users liked this post by Rescue Rogers:
AKjeff (02-05-2023), Tranz Zam (02-05-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 01:09 PM
Tranz Zam
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
Every state is different...if it was a full restoration, rebuildinging the birdcage, everything back to original and welding the cut frame with the vin back where it belonged, everyone would saying what a great job it was....its everyones perspective and opinion.
Massachusetts doesnt give one turd what the car looks like, they just want a title or current registration and a handful of green backs....they just want to tax and fee you to death. My 68 sight unseen was worth $1500 to register. Didnt matter if i was registering a title for a parts car or a mint NCRS car...just give me the taxes....every state is different

That's what always gets me with these posts. If I cut apart an entire birdcage to fix rust, and the only thing left was a 4" section of the driver side pillar where the VIN is, in what way is that different from putting the VIN on a new windshield frame? Brw...You can get the correct rosette rivets online.

Again, not that I'm advocating anyone doing anything illegal. Already got my pp slapped for that once lol
The following users liked this post:
Rescue Rogers (02-05-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 02:04 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 614 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

nice.
I would think more value added to a true factory race car.
great find
Old 02-05-2023, 02:11 PM
67:72
1967 Pedal Car Champion
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,018 Likes on 1,363 Posts

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
Best to contact your state's DMV for their process of registering/titling. I think the OP also needs some legal advice, familiar with his state's requirements, about how to proceed with registering a modified car. I wouldn't risk it on my own if the tag is in a non-standard location or attached by non-standard means.

You really don't want to go off of some forum's comments and have the car impounded. (I almost had the AZ DPS (state police) called on my mom's '58 Corvette because the DMV person wasn't familiar with the VIN Philips head screw attachment of '58 Corvettes and insisted it was a tampered tag.) Here in Oregon, upon transfer, the DMV inspects the VIN or you can have a law enforcement officer visit the car and fill out the required paperwork. As you said, each state is different.
The following users liked this post:
AKjeff (02-05-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 03:01 PM
AKjeff
Pro

Originally Posted by Tranz Zam
That's what always gets me with these posts. If I cut apart an entire birdcage to fix rust, and the only thing left was a 4" section of the driver side pillar where the VIN is, in what way is that different from putting the VIN on a new windshield frame? Brw...You can get the correct rosette rivets online.

Again, not that I'm advocating anyone doing anything illegal. Already got my pp slapped for that once lol
I agree with you, if it's my car, I should be able to do as I see fit with it, as long as it has a VIN I should be able to title and register it.
The only reason I mentioned it was I'd hate for the OP of this thread to put time and money into getting the car ready for the street and have issues with the VIN location.

There are too many unimaginative individuals working in DMV offices. I think it's their mission to get old cars off the road, they have no passion for cars.

My neighbor has an Anglia with a Chevy V8 in it, DMV here in NV told him the frame has been modified and he has to register it as a current model year car.
That destroys the value, he kept it registered at his second home in another state.

NV also requires a VIN inspection if a vehicle is brought in from another state.
Old 02-05-2023, 04:23 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,097 Posts

Originally Posted by AKjeff
.....My neighbor has an Anglia with a Chevy V8 in it, DMV here in NV told him the frame has been modified and he has to register it as a current model year car.
That destroys the value, he kept it registered at his second home in another state.
What about making it have to meet "current model year" smog standards??
Old 02-05-2023, 04:33 PM
AKjeff
Pro

That and current safety standards would have been my concern.
He didn't mention that, though we have no smog test in this county.

Maybe there's a kit car loop hole, I don't know I've never looked into it.
Old 02-09-2023, 07:34 AM
cottoneg
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

If racing is a big question mark for you...
You may want to consider a HPDE. Your not timed, not a competition, and you could learn the cars and your capabilities. For someone that may be new to racing that is where I would start. People just don't jump into 700+ HP cars and drive fast.

It will still cost a bit. You may need new rubber if its over 7 years old. Go over the brake system. Just check the car out before tracking it. Around me there are plenty of good organizations to help.

Old 02-09-2023, 07:55 AM
cottoneg
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

I went back and looked at the pics again.

Look at the amount of negative camber in the last pic.

Quick Reply: Bought a 68' C3 Race Car!