Sponsored by:

1969 coupe weather stripping questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2023, 11:39 PM
darrentpi
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1969 coupe weather stripping questions

I am finally at a point after owning my 427 435 car for 25 years now, to finally re do all the weather stripping. Ive done so much to this car as far as complete drivetrain rebuild riveted ball joints, rebuilt steering box trailing arms, bushings the list goes on. Lots of knowledge in that area, but never touched the weather stripping which is a bit of a grey area for me. So just wondering who or which vender sells the correct and best fitting rubber, as well as tips and tricks and don't do's. I want to do it right, although the car isn't a trailer queen by no means, just a driver. Its just that pillar rubber and t top rubber has all dried up and looks like crap.
Old 01-31-2023, 01:32 AM
69L88
Melting Slicks

Received 1,213 Likes on 758 Posts

Corvette Rubber Company manufactures the weatherstripping. I can tell you that the A pillar pieces do not have all of the original metal reinforcements molded in but the fit is fine.
Old 01-31-2023, 09:04 AM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by 69L88
Corvette Rubber Company manufactures the weatherstripping. I can tell you that the A pillar pieces do not have all of the original metal reinforcements molded in but the fit is fine.
There are two sources currently available for weatherstripping for our Corvettes... NOS GM and Corvette Rubber. Regardless of where you actually purchase reproduction weatherstripping, it's coming from Corvette Rubber (which actually isn't a bad thing as the weatherstripping that they sell is actually quite good). You can still find NOS weatherstripping from time to time, but be advised that it is often hard and not very pliable which makes sealing difficult. I've long avoided the NOS weatherstripping for this reason, but ultimately, the decision is up to you.

I will say this regarding 1969 weatherstripping... The t-top weatherstripping changed at various points during production. Early cars used a two piece part... VERY late cars used a one piece part that was joined and is continuous (it's circular for lack of a better term). There is a third part that is used between these two parts that is also one piece, but is not joined and is linear in nature. The two ends come together at the front corner of the t-top when installed. Corvette Rubber offers the first two parts, but does not offer this interim part so be aware of that if you decide to order from them. I simply ordered the continuous part for my 1969 (even though it has this interim part) as you'll never see it with the t-top installed, it will definitely seal better than either of the other two styles, and even if you have your car judged, I doubt that there aren't more than a couple people out there that are aware of the difference in configuration.

Regards,

Stan Falenski
The following users liked this post:
Bob K (02-02-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To 1969 coupe weather stripping questions

Quick Reply: 1969 coupe weather stripping questions