Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 Road Trips - Post Your Tales / Photos

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2023, 06:42 PM
ED DINAPOLI
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Grady, Sorry to see your hard time with the Corvette on your road trip. Maintaining the Corvette is important and necessary for long road trips. I have been driving Corvettes for over 55 years and put almost 300,000 miles on them. I have never broken down or had the cars towed on the road. Glad you had better luck with the Comaro.
Ed
The following 2 users liked this post by ED DINAPOLI:
doorgunner (02-01-2023), grady white (02-05-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 10:39 PM
Dirty Dalton
Drifting

Received 776 Likes on 479 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Stephen!!!! OMG, fabulous! Thank you for the pix! You're going to make me look at mine - probably at least 200, some might even have the car in the picture!

Lovely, lovely, lovely. Years ago I had a work trip that started in Darmstadt (sp?) Germany - then drove into Switzerland, stayed in Zermatt, and then to Grnoble, and finally Paris. Fabulous! Thank you, thank you!

For the shorter timers, there was a couple from Switzerland who brought their's over to US a few years ago, and toured about the West. Needed a clutch job...
The following users liked this post:
Stephen Irons (02-02-2023)
Old 02-02-2023, 06:41 AM
Tom69
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 249 Likes on 110 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Here is a link to our 2017 Route 66 run. I've posted this before on CF in hopes this would inspire others to follow with their photo journey on this historic route. To date, I have not seen another post of someone making this run. I know when Doorgunner gets his vette finished this is on his bucket list, and looking forward to joining him on a portion of the route! It was the best and most fun road trip we had ever taken!

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmiHFWuU

Tom69

Last edited by Tom69; 02-05-2023 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-02-2023, 09:14 AM
Stephen Irons
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 87 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Dirty Dalton
Stephen!!!! OMG, fabulous! Thank you for the pix! You're going to make me look at mine - probably at least 200, some might even have the car in the picture!

Lovely, lovely, lovely. Years ago I had a work trip that started in Darmstadt (sp?) Germany - then drove into Switzerland, stayed in Zermatt, and then to Grnoble, and finally Paris. Fabulous! Thank you, thank you!

For the shorter timers, there was a couple from Switzerland who brought their's over to US a few years ago, and toured about the West. Needed a clutch job...
Hi, I'm glad that you enjoyedthe photos and they brought back some memories! Your trip sounds great - I confess we need to do more of Germany and Switzerland!

I could probably bore everyone on here for hours with the hundreds of photos we have! Due in no small part to our long time association with Corvettes of Southern California, we have been lucky enough to tour the US extensively, visiting 30 states, in rental cars, or some rather super Corvettes lent to us by generous friends! But our old '78 has never returned to its homeland, so we are making the most of the great roads we have over here and rack up as many miles as it'll stand!

As you mentioned Paris, you may enjoy these photos, taken during one of our participations in the Traversee de Paris; open to up to 600 vehicles over 30 years old ,the Traversee takes place twice a year, with winter and summer editions. We have done the summer edition three times. Beginning in Vincennes, in the east of the city, it follows a different route each year that usually takes in most of the major sites of Paris - Bastille, Montmartre, Opera, Place de la Concord, Les Invalides, Arc de Triumph, Eiffel Tower etc, before ending at the observatory in Meudon, in the south west of Paris. Great fun!

Last edited by Stephen Irons; 02-02-2023 at 09:30 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stephen Irons:
Coronette (02-02-2023), Stroh (02-06-2023)
Old 02-02-2023, 09:27 AM
Stephen Irons
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tom69
Here is a link to our 2017 Route 66 run. I've posted this before on CF in hopes this would inspire others to follow with their photo journey on this historic route. To date, I have not seen another post of someone making this run. I know when Doorgunner gets his vette finished this is on his bucket list, and looking forward to joining him on a portion of the route! It was the best and most fun road trip we had ever taken!

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmiHFWuU

Tom69

I just took a quick look at the link above (it's been several years). Now the flicker photo log is filled with 5 seconds ads! Sorry!!!
Wow! A great trip! We did a similar thing in 1999, on route to the NCM, continuing to Chicago after the NCM event. I remember so many of the places yo visited - wonderful! We actually got to meet and spend time with Lucille in Oklahoma, what a fascinating lady. Your photos brought back some super memories.
A friend in the UK just did Route 66 in October this year - its amazing how it has changed and developed since we did it and, it seems even since you trip in '17.
Old 02-02-2023, 10:10 AM
Tom69
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 249 Likes on 110 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Stephen Irons
Wow! A great trip! We did a similar thing in 1999, on route to the NCM, continuing to Chicago after the NCM event. I remember so many of the places yo visited - wonderful! We actually got to meet and spend time with Lucille in Oklahoma, what a fascinating lady. Your photos brought back some super memories.
A friend in the UK just did Route 66 in October this year - its amazing how it has changed and developed since we did it and, it seems even since you trip in '17.

There is talk that some of the state and federal subsidies to maintain these vintage roads and route signage is being discontinued. Route 66 has a nostalgic pull for those of us growing up during the 50s thru early 70s. When I was applying for a mileage extension to cover the trip, my collector car insurance agent had no idea what Route 66, aka, the "Mother Road" was.

Stephen, I admire your travel lust! Approaching age 76, I find myself slowing down a bit, and particularly avoid driving the C3 at night.

Regards,
Tom69

Last edited by Tom69; 02-02-2023 at 03:37 PM.
Coronette (02-02-2023)
Old 02-02-2023, 10:22 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,199 Likes on 2,756 Posts

SOMEBODY..."RATE THIS THREAD"...GIVE THIS THREAD 5 GOLD STARS
The following 2 users liked this post by doorgunner:
Coronette (02-02-2023), Dirty Dalton (02-02-2023)
Old 02-02-2023, 01:17 PM
Coronette
Drifting

Received 566 Likes on 312 Posts

Amazing thread! Perhaps this can me made “sticky.” It is wonderful to see so many road trips in these cars, and as these cars continue to age i suspect there will be fewer road trips, especially with cars (like mine) that have had many unknown owners over the years. You have more confidence in a car that you’ve owned for decades.

I love the photos of the Corvettes in Europe!
Old 02-02-2023, 01:44 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,712 Likes on 2,945 Posts

Not my Corvette road trip, but another’s road trip.
I was traveling on Interstate 5 from Northern to Southern California.
I stopped for gas in Santa Nella and as I was filling up my truck a gorgeous blue chrome bumper Coupe pulled in behind me.
The owner got out and was admiring his car as I walked into the adjoining store.
When I came out the owner was still walking around his corvette, and I told him how beautiful his car was.
He simply shrugged his shoulders and said “gasoline”? pointing at the pump and his car.
After a quick discussion with his wife she told me they just purchased it and they were driving across country then shipping it to Europe where they lived.
Their problem was, they didn’t know where to put the gas in and failed to ask when they bought it.
I quickly showed the grateful couple who were soon on their way with smiles ear to ear.
71BHG4SP (02-03-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 04:21 AM
Stephen Irons
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tom69
There is talk that some of the state and federal subsidies to maintain these vintage roads and route signage is being discontinued. Route 66 has a nostalgic pull for those of us growing up during the 50s thru early 70s. When I was applying for a mileage extension to cover the trip, my collector car insurance agent had no idea what Route 66, aka, the "Mother Road" was.

Stephen, I admire your travel lust! Approaching age 76, I find myself slowing down a bit, and particularly avoid driving the C3 at night.

Regards,
Tom69
Hi Tom

Ha!, I'm only 5 years behind you so I will no doubt be slowing down a little soon! And if not me, the car might think it's time to take it easier without some major work! And at our ages, it's all that working away on the ground or under a lift that ceases to be fun!😄 But I think there is an element of "now or never" in some of our travels.😄

I was surprised by my friends photos from his Route 66 trip, there were so many more "authentic, original" stores, gas stations, hotels etc than when we did it😄 I'm not criticising, it's great to see the road being promoted more. So, I hope that the rumours you mention are not true - as a non -American, I still think its a great view into so many aspects of recent American history.
Old 02-03-2023, 04:24 AM
Stephen Irons
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
Not my Corvette road trip, but another’s road trip.
I was traveling on Interstate 5 from Northern to Southern California.
I stopped for gas in Santa Nella and as I was filling up my truck a gorgeous blue chrome bumper Coupe pulled in behind me.
The owner got out and was admiring his car as I walked into the adjoining store.
When I came out the owner was still walking around his corvette, and I told him how beautiful his car was.
He simply shrugged his shoulders and said “gasoline”? pointing at the pump and his car.
After a quick discussion with his wife she told me they just purchased it and they were driving across country then shipping it to Europe where they lived.
Their problem was, they didn’t know where to put the gas in and failed to ask when they bought it.
I quickly showed the grateful couple who were soon on their way with smiles ear to ear.
Ha, great story! Yes, we've come across a few people over here who have about as much knowledge of their cars😄 They love Corvettes, but forget that they are not European cars and are somewhat "different".😄
Old 02-03-2023, 04:25 AM
Stephen Irons
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Coronette
.........I love the photos of the Corvettes in Europe!
You say the word and I can bore you with hundreds of them!😄
OldCarBum (02-03-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 07:23 PM
Dirty Dalton
Drifting

OK you cretins, you got me digitizing my cc trip slides. I think I've 20 out of maybe 250 done...

A few, maybe, later. I've started editing my description of the trip, adding photos.

Last edited by Dirty Dalton; 02-03-2023 at 09:55 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dirty Dalton:
OldCarBum (02-03-2023), Stephen Irons (02-04-2023), Tom69 (02-04-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 10:29 PM
2TONE82
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 135 Posts

A short road trip but nonetheless, my favorite. 2004, on our way back from the NCM 10th anniversary. Our youngest daughter, she was eight years old at the time, was riding shotgun with me in 2TONE82. The weather was perfect as we left Bowling Green, bright sunny day. I spotted an eighteen wheeler up ahead and told my daughter to pump her fist as we passed. She asked why, but did it as we passed the rig. To this day I can see the smile on the driver's face as he looked down through the t-tops at my daughter pumping her fist up and down. He let go a good long blast of the horn, followed by a few more as we passed. My daughter loved it and I was pretty happy. I then noticed her leaning up in the seat to see over the dash...she said, "Dad, I think there is another one just up ahead. Think we can catch up to it?". We caught up with every eighteen wheeler between Bowling Green and Huntsville Alabama that day.

Great memory and guess what, my oldest grandson turns 8 this month. He'll get his chance later this year. The first picture is of 2TONE82 at the the NCM in 1999. 2TONE82 was in both of our daughter's weddings so she'll be around awhile. Great thread!

Last edited by 2TONE82; 02-03-2023 at 10:37 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by 2TONE82:
ChiliPepperGarage (02-04-2023), Dirty Dalton (02-03-2023), OldCarBum (02-04-2023), Rowdy Rat (02-04-2023), Stephen Irons (02-04-2023), Tom69 (02-04-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-04-2023, 06:19 PM
Dirty Dalton
Drifting

It's All Y'all's fault! After looking at a few slides from my trip I scanned at least 120 slides today from it today, at about 5 min per slide.

I got thru Leadville, Telluride, and am now enroute to the Grand Canyon. I'm willing to post a sampling, but only if All Y'all will commit to viewing them.

The following 3 users liked this post by Dirty Dalton:
ChiliPepperGarage (02-04-2023), OldCarBum (02-04-2023), Tom69 (02-04-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 07:42 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,199 Likes on 2,756 Posts

It's not a myth. In Nam we doorgunners would make our best friend beneficiary on our life insurance policy,
The carch was...the survivor had to buy a Corvette in memory of his dead comrad. I wonder how many Vettes are "War Memories".
OldCarBum (02-05-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 08:14 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 430 Likes on 308 Posts

Ya'll stories are bettter than mine, but here's my best one. Driving to the Run to the Sun car show in Myrtle Beach about 10 years ago, about 350 miles away, and with less than 5 miles to go, my buddy behind me and says he's gettign a spray on his windshield, which was right at the same time I saw my temp gauge skyrocket. Pulled into a parking lot immediately, and fortunately, another buddy in our caravan was trailering a straight axle gasser, so he backed that off his trailer and we loaded mine up and drove the last couple of miles to the hotel. Also in our group of buddies that weekend were a couple of professional mechanics, and the next morning they were out at my car checking it out before I even got down there. I told them I would never ask them to work on a car while they were on vacation, and that it was already on a trailer, just let me take it to a shop. They wouldn't hear of that, gave me a parts list and said get to the store! Fortunately, it was just a water pump and once I got back with the parts, I think they had it up and going again in about 30 minutes. Not that I couldn't have put a water pump on the car, but these guys could do it blindfolded with one arm tied behind their back faster than I could have.
The following 2 users liked this post by C3 4ME:
OldCarBum (02-05-2023), Tom69 (02-05-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Road Trips - Post Your Tales / Photos

Old 02-04-2023, 08:42 PM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

Received 601 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Dalton
It's All Y'all's fault! After looking at a few slides from my trip I scanned at least 120 slides today from it today, at about 5 min per slide.

I got thru Leadville, Telluride, and am now enroute to the Grand Canyon. I'm willing to post a sampling, but only if All Y'all will commit to viewing them.

Post them up!
Old 02-04-2023, 10:15 PM
ED DINAPOLI
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by grady white
did I meet you at the NCRS judging meet in Rahway nj in November .. did you own the blue 72
Yes, I was the team leader for the c3.
Ed

Old 02-05-2023, 10:50 AM
Dirty Dalton
Drifting

OK, I've updated thru to Telluride. You need to go back up the thread to Post #14. One pic in twice. This is WORK!!! I note 4 likes - the count better go up!
The following 2 users liked this post by Dirty Dalton:
OldCarBum (02-05-2023), Stephen Irons (02-05-2023)

Quick Reply: C3 Road Trips - Post Your Tales / Photos