C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 Entry Level 68 Cost : Roached Out Minimum Big Block . . .

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2023, 12:47 AM
FastCarsNMeanGuitars
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts
Default C3 Entry Level 68 Cost : Roached Out Minimum Big Block . . .

Ok, so I'm not going NCRS, I'm going racing and I need a baseline for cost regarding a straight frame, a roller and body, no drivetrain. Then I need the drivetrain included. Reason being a 454 , Muncie M-21 and 4:11 posi showed up.

Now forget numbers matching, however, consider performance. I don't want a two bolt main big block and or a platform out of spec to race. I'm going racing and then bringing back a beast. So title is valid.

I see chassis for 4K rollers on average and I'm detached on the MK IV block and Muncie in regards to rebuildable units worth or cost. I just don't know what they are worth these days. Last I was tuned in, they were way up due to GM discontinuing.

My guess is around 10K coupe or conv with hardtop, no rag. Now add in powertrain.

Don't mind fabricating, just talking fair cost for guts here.

I appreciate the input. I'm new around here and my ideas may be new too, however, I kick them out in the spirit of discussion and moving forward. I'm builiding a C6 and C3 at the same time, both from the ashes as I do all the work. Thanks for your input here.
Old 01-13-2023, 12:52 AM
international blue
Melting Slicks

Received 2,409 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Several questions:

Going racing? Seriously or over on the side streets or parking lots?

Vintage racing SVRA style? It's not cheap. And truthfully, a 454 and a Muncie are no longer considered fast.

https://www.duntovmotors.com/vintage...suspension.php

https://www.duntovmotors.com/restoration.php

What is the mission for this car?

Old 01-13-2023, 05:42 AM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,495 Likes on 2,716 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Going racing with a 68 Corvette???
with a 454 big block and a 4 speed.
Looks like you only wish to lose.
A 68 Corvette with a highly modified chassis and one heak of a built up rear end with a modern LS type engine and TKX or modern automatic just maybe.
but, seriously, going racing with a 55 year old car?
Against who?
The following users liked this post:
Bikespace (01-13-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 06:21 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,337 Likes on 3,939 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

454s are cheap and very common you can get the blocks easily where i live for under a grand, then build them up to the size you want or need. 4 speed muncies are anywhere from $1000 to $1500 around here for the reasonable ones. Parts are still available as well. If you get a 68 frame you will need to add the rear gussets that were added to the 69 and later models. And make sure you get a big block radiator support. I would look at either a 69 big block support and modify the front of the frame to accept it or get a 69 frame. If you pull the body to do some frame stiffening then consider this upgrade while its seperated.

Post pics when you get your project started. If you can get away with a 69 it will broaden your chances as they are both identical visually to the common folk unless it has to be 68 for the class you are in

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 01-13-2023 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-13-2023, 10:52 AM
bjm
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 4-vettes
Going racing with a 68 Corvette???
with a 454 big block and a 4 speed.
Looks like you only wish to lose.
A 68 Corvette with a highly modified chassis and one heak of a built up rear end with a modern LS type engine and TKX or modern automatic just maybe.
but, seriously, going racing with a 55 year old car?
Against who?
It seems you are unfamiliar with vintage racing in the US. The 68-71 C3 Corvette is an excellent example/platform for a vintage race car and there are many many venues and organizations for a well-built 68 Corvette to race in. All one needs to do is follow the Chevy Power book updates, one does not need to highly modify the chassis, use an LS, and certainly would not use an automatic for road racing. And C3 basically dominate the vintage race group they run in, so frankly a ton of people love to race the old vintage cars. Plus, they can be relatively cheap to build and race.
The following 3 users liked this post by bjm:
beatlescott (01-18-2023), Rescue Rogers (02-28-2023), sug (01-14-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Entry Level 68 Cost : Roached Out Minimum Big Block . . .

Quick Reply: C3 Entry Level 68 Cost : Roached Out Minimum Big Block . . .