Old 01-07-2023, 04:22 AM
Daveinspain
Obsessed
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 348 Likes on 132 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
Default Hooker headers

Just bought some headers…😊. Got the long tube powder coated chrome headers for my 71 Coupe. Can’t wait to see them installed, they are going to look awesome…! Hope to see and feel a power boost as well.

Question, how difficult will it be to install them, can I do it from under the car on a lift? Also will the spark plug wire channeling under the manifolds be in the way of anything?

I have AC, PS, PB and a Turbo 400 three speed automatic transmission. Anything get in the way…?
Old 01-07-2023, 06:11 AM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,640 Likes on 2,798 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Should be a TON of fun. Dip stick tube in the way comes to mind. Possible starter clearance issues.
consider changing all your spark plug wires to a routing that will go over the top of the valve cover and drop down. Consider heat socks over the ends of the plug wires.
And of course every brand of headers has it's own fitment issues. Expect the unexpected.
The following users liked this post:
ntfday (01-07-2023)
Old 01-07-2023, 11:46 AM
KS69Coupe
Drifting

Received 214 Likes on 153 Posts

Love my chrome Hooker Heads.

Agree with everythiing 4-vettes said. I put mine on with the help of my youngest son, made the job a lot easier. We have a Quick Jack lift - necessary to get the car off the ground so you can work under it. Son held the weight of the headers from above while I worked on the fit issues. I only had one place where one of the long tubes on the driver side made contact with the frame and I was able to use a 3/4" socket on an extension with a 3 lb. hammer to modify (maybe 3/16") to create enough clearance between the frame and the header tube so the pipe would not touch the frame. I did put new plug wires on mine, routed to fit the headers just as 4-vettes mentioned. Dip stick tube had to come out and then reinstalled once the headers were in place.

Welcome to the Hooker Header tattoo club. These babies get really hot (ceramic coating will help). Really have to be careful around them or you will end up with tattoo reminders on your hands and legs.
Old 01-07-2023, 07:41 PM
blue427
Burning Brakes

Received 128 Likes on 102 Posts

On my hooker headers(super comp bb) I used the Accel ceramic wires because not enough clearance on some plugs,boots didn't work.
Old 01-07-2023, 07:49 PM
Daveinspain
Obsessed
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by KS69Coupe
Love my chrome Hooker Heads.

Agree with everythiing 4-vettes said. I put mine on with the help of my youngest son, made the job a lot easier. We have a Quick Jack lift - necessary to get the car off the ground so you can work under it. Son held the weight of the headers from above while I worked on the fit issues. I only had one place where one of the long tubes on the driver side made contact with the frame and I was able to use a 3/4" socket on an extension with a 3 lb. hammer to modify (maybe 3/16") to create enough clearance between the frame and the header tube so the pipe would not touch the frame. I did put new plug wires on mine, routed to fit the headers just as 4-vettes mentioned. Dip stick tube had to come out and then reinstalled once the headers were in place.

Welcome to the Hooker Header tattoo club. These babies get really hot (ceramic coating will help). Really have to be careful around them or you will end up with tattoo reminders on your hands and legs.
I get burns on my hands and arms from the stock manifolds all the time. My Hookers aren’t side pipes, so unless I start working on the Vette with my feet I won’t be getting any leg burns…😀
Old 01-07-2023, 08:56 PM
philadave19030
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I just put long tubes on my 69 the other week. Definitely not as bad as many people describe imho. I put the front of the car on ramps, and brought the headers in from the bottom had my wife hold them while I came up to and threaded the bolts. Dip stick tube comes out along with clutch linkage and z-bar if manual. I also had to loosen and slide my power steering pump out of the way but I did motor mounts at the same time so that may have been why I can’t remember atm. I wrapped my starter in heat wrap. Need wire looms to bring plug wires down from the top and I bought a shallow spark plug socket for the number 1 cylinder since it’s really tight. Hmu if you have any questions.
Old 01-07-2023, 09:17 PM
Daveinspain
Obsessed
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by philadave19030
I just put long tubes on my 69 the other week. Definitely not as bad as many people describe imho. I put the front of the car on ramps, and brought the headers in from the bottom had my wife hold them while I came up to and threaded the bolts. Dip stick tube comes out along with clutch linkage and z-bar if manual. I also had to loosen and slide my power steering pump out of the way but I did motor mounts at the same time so that may have been why I can’t remember atm. I wrapped my starter in heat wrap. Need wire looms to bring plug wires down from the top and I bought a shallow spark plug socket for the number 1 cylinder since it’s really tight. Hmu if you have any questions.
Did you need a special coupler to tie it into you existing exhaust system?
Old 01-07-2023, 09:33 PM
philadave19030
Advanced

I’m redoing the whole system, that’s actually next but yes you would need to cut the head pipe and get the appropriately sized collector reducer which will be difficult because they’re hard to find going from 3” to 2”. May have to weld an additional reducer to the smallest collector reducer you can find
Daveinspain (01-08-2023)
Old 01-07-2023, 11:25 PM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,640 Likes on 2,798 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Headers connected to a 2 1/2 inch true duel system makes the most sense. Any competent exhaust shop can bend up some pipes for you.
or if you insist, connect the headers to your current system.
Old 01-08-2023, 06:49 AM
philadave19030
Advanced

I’m doing exactly what 4-vettes has said and doing all new 2.5” pipe back. Probably an H pipe for drone and 40 series delta flow
Old 01-08-2023, 06:59 AM
Daveinspain
Obsessed
Support Corvetteforum!

I want to keep my existing system, just want to add the headers. My existing system is Flowmaster duals, straight back to the mufflers. I hope to be able to just tie into it…
Old 01-08-2023, 07:46 AM
Fly skids up!
Burning Brakes

Received 613 Likes on 376 Posts

Installing headers on a SBC Vette is cake compared to other cars. Spark plugs, starter, dip stick tube will need to be removed and the engine will need to be raised a bit. I disagree with 4-vette on the spark plug wire routing. You can keep the stock routing and skip the plug wire insulation. A permanent magnet gear reduction starter is also a good idea while doing headers.

sleepchamber (01-08-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To Hooker headers

Quick Reply: Hooker headers