C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proper C3 Widebody (Illustration Concept)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2022, 11:45 AM
Stoeddy
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Proper C3 Widebody (Illustration Concept)

Has anyone ever properly widebodied a C3? Most people add fender flares and call it done, which works well to accomplish a wider wheel base for low CG/grip/racing purposes. But rather than add longer wheel flares to accomplish a wider wheel base, what about extending the top of the car body where meet the sides, add a few inches, and then adding extended fender bonding points in the subframe. It is hard to explain what I mean in writing, attached I have an illustration I drew. I believe the resulting work would look more proportional rather than having the wheel flares, as they already exist on the car. The fiberglass work would be very extensive and expensive, but I believe this is the way to go. Who knows, maybe I'll make a mold and sell it as a kit for C3 owners.

Thoughts?

Below, the dotted lines represent the original curvature of the top of the C3. The hard lines represent an extended widebody, while retaining the natural curvature of the car.

Old 12-28-2022, 11:46 AM
Stoeddy
Intermediate

I also know about the Goodwood body kits out there. That isn't what I am representing here.
Old 12-28-2022, 12:06 PM
Stoeddy
Intermediate

Here is another view from the front. Again, dotted lines represent the original factory curvature of the car.
Old 12-28-2022, 12:15 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Stoeddy
...I believe this is the way to go...Thoughts?
Have at it.
Old 12-28-2022, 05:49 PM
How Are You
Drifting

Received 403 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Stoeddy
I also know about the Goodwood body kits out there. That isn't what I am representing here.
Greenwood.
The following users liked this post:
Stoeddy (12-28-2022)
Old 12-28-2022, 06:13 PM
wwiiavfan
Burning Brakes

Received 454 Likes on 311 Posts

What the hell, I mean Smokey Yunick went the other way in the 60’s when he built a 7/8ths scale Chevelle and trolled the NASCAR techs.

I think it would be hard to avoid the rear half of the car from getting a chunky or “hippy” look unless you widen the roof and body section to match.
Old 12-28-2022, 08:44 PM
Stoeddy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by How Are You
Greenwood.
My bad!
Old 12-29-2022, 12:41 AM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,139 Likes on 737 Posts

Green Mamba front and back would approximate the silhouette you've drawn. Rest of it has big flares so no compare, but it wouldn't be my choice. I would maybe poke around for som Larry Shinoda sketches, see what else the design studios were thinking of at the time
Old 12-29-2022, 10:15 AM
MAD Matt
Drifting

Received 1,353 Likes on 600 Posts

Here's one without the usual flares. Don't care for the lower rockers but the overall shape looks good.

Side profile is decent. Tire tuck looks killer but they are just stuffed in the wheel wells for pics as the body is clearly on a dolly.

Here's where most of the difficult stuff happens. Someone pushed the "Easy Button" here and went with the stock rear bumper. Much easier than having to section and widen the stock piece to match the width of the car. Looks more "Greenwood" from the rear with that wing.
Old 12-29-2022, 01:49 PM
Corvette-ZL1
Burning Brakes

Received 484 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by MAD Matt

Here's one without the usual flares. Don't care for the lower rockers but the overall shape looks good.

Side profile is decent. Tire tuck looks killer but they are just stuffed in the wheel wells for pics as the body is clearly on a dolly.

Here's where most of the difficult stuff happens. Someone pushed the "Easy Button" here and went with the stock rear bumper. Much easier than having to section and widen the stock piece to match the width of the car. Looks more "Greenwood" from the rear with that wing.
Meh. Manufacturers/Sponsors do 'easy button' stuff like this all the time in racing applications. It looks sick, IMO! I don't know who's Vette that is you reference, but it's a damn nice job... The only thing I would change is to cut out and put little mesh screens in instead of those holes. That would complete the bad@ss look.

The GT1

356 RSR repro

BMW 3.0 CSL

...and the Greenwood...

Last edited by Corvette-ZL1; 12-29-2022 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-29-2022, 07:21 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,733 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

This one does a good job pulling the flares together with the body-

The following users liked this post:
poncho69 (01-06-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To Proper C3 Widebody (Illustration Concept)

Quick Reply: Proper C3 Widebody (Illustration Concept)