Sponsored by:

Newbie getting started..

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2022, 02:27 PM
jpillion
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie getting started..

So, I've been lurking on these forums for a while, and have learned a lot. But, what was once a "one day" is coming closer to a reality, so I thought I'd jump in here and say hi.

I'm a newbie to restoration, but a fairly mechanical guy. Grew up doing most work myself with my dad and father in law, and always done the mechanical repairs myself (injectors, suspension, and cv joints being the most involved I've done). A few ideas are converging now though, and I'm planning on going all in and rebuilding a C3. What's converging? I have three boys - older two are 8 and 10, and in love with everything mechanical. We've done some work (recently replaced all the fuel injectors on a L86), and they're wanting more. I want to give it to them, and help them build memories and education. Secondly, my wife has always loved well done classic cars, and loves the "rust to riches" type shows - though I think they've given her a false impression of the amount of effort going into it. She's been pressuring me to get a rustbucket and restore it. She's always eyed up the C3's and points them out of a crowd. And thirdly, I inadvertently acquired some shop space, which has been one of my barriers (where the heck am I going to work on something like this for the next x years??). I've got the space to work with, that is begging to be filled.

I have a machinist for a father-in-law, a welder + heavy machinery mechanic for a brother-in-law, and a good friend who rebuilds engines (for himself), but doesn't do restorations. I have shop space, and a wife pressuring me to get a project car, and two boys who are begging to do car projects. so.... my plan is to find a C3, and go big, and do it up nice as a gift for my wife. It's definitely jumping from the kiddie pool to the high-dive. That's par for the course in my life though. It would be her sunny-weather sunday driver. I'm not too concerned about numbers matching, all original, etc. Main thing is that it ends up as a nice car that's fun to drive, and that she's proud to show off, and the kids will learn a lot from.

So my questions are:
  1. what are red flags I should look for to avoid? - I've read enough of you all talking about rust on the birdcage to watch for that... any other major deal breakers?
  2. what are the biggest "you'll want to know..." items for taking on a C3 project car?
  3. part of me wants to do a full frame-off restoration. part of me says that's a hole too deep to dig myself out of. Please tell me I'm an idiot for considering that?
  4. any general advice?
ps. I'm in the Seattle area. Any local groups you'd recommend that I should look into?

​​​​​​
Old 11-17-2022, 03:04 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 802 Likes on 550 Posts

From someone who has gone ALL IN with a 1978 vette project that has taken me almost 10 years and although not done I think I see the finish line. Lessons I have learned, when you have the time you won’t have the money and when you have the money you won’t have the time. Mine was a toy, not a I need it to get to work tomorrow car. When the refrigerator died it came from the car account. When the dogs kept getting out the new fence came from where else,,,,my car account. The other thing you might find is a change in direction. I had r
the front suspension all new when I found out about a deal on a rack n pinion set up. Did I need it? No but I sure wanted it. Have a whole list of that stuff. When I finally get it done it will be my labor of love done the way I want. You have a good support team there, welder,engine guy, kids who want to get dirty. But the SMARTEST thing you have done is make it a gift for your wife. So when the boxes of stuff start coming in you and she wants to know what it is, you can honestly say “It’s for you dear”. Just remember this is supposed to be fun. Jump in the pool with the rest of us, the water’s fine.
The following 3 users liked this post by kanvasman:
grady white (11-18-2022), interpon (11-19-2022), loup68 (11-25-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 03:55 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,105 Likes on 876 Posts

Welcome to the Corvette Forum jpillion!!

All you need are Piles and Piles of cash and you will have a GOOD start.

I bought a 1968 C3 from a barn sale only to find that it was a Big Block Convertible and had not been used in a couple years. I bought knowing little about Corvettes...Not a smart idea. Find a NCRS (National Corvette Restoration Society) group near your home and get help deciding on what year and maybe have an expert to look at the car for you. Corvette Clubs are all over the place and they frequently tolerate resto-mods where the NCRS types are after STOCK Corvettes. I like Corvettes@Carlisle which is Pennsylvania and 103 miles from my front door. There are frequently 50,000 Corvette people there during the three days in August. I have seen thousands of Corvettes for sale there as well. A show like this would help you decide what you want to spend your money on. There are people who drive down from Canada to go to this show in Carlisle as it is very popular and a whole lot of fun. Just remember to bring lots of cash...

My purchase was a 1968 (first year of C3's) which I learned afterwards was NOT a Popular Corvette with the Corvette vendors and it has a lot of unique parts which are harder to find than for most C3's. I am glad I bought the 1968 model as it has been a lot of fun and is an amazing car to own. I bought a factory L88 Hood and then proceeded to build a 12.25-1 Compression ratio 427 for street usage. I was in my late 30's when I bought the Corvette and it was like having an expensive mistress on the sly. Today my Corvette still has the L88 copy engine in it and is just a bit too much for daily driving for me. Having a Corvette in the household with several boys might be a problem when they hit High School. I have 2 kids, a son and a daughter and while they were old enough to drive it I would change or remove the ignition Key to prevent any ideas.

32 years later I Still have it and am still working on it. My daughter has asked for it for her and her husband to enjoy when I am done. My son is a computer nerd and really doesn't care that much about cars. Having a 4 speed has kept the kids at a distance until my daughter learned to drive a manual transmission. Being a big block there is so much torque that it is very easy to drive even with the manual transmission. I did not let either of my kids use the car and kept it on Jack Stands to discourage them. 500+ hp and teenagers are not a good mix so I wanted them to ignore their Dad's Corvette

Besides a place to work you will need some serious tools to be able to do a body off. Mine was cared for by a Body Shop owner which helped a lot. I now have a sand-blasting cabinet and also a powder coating oven in my garage because every piece I remove needs to be re-conditioned and re-painted/coated. I have made a few upgrades to my Corvette but have saved every part that I removed from it and bagged it and stored it away. The one thing I really wish I had is a Lift....

A couple years after we bought the Corvette we started having our family. Since there are four of us we bought a newer 1988 Corvette with AC and is a coupe. It is the basic Corvette and has an automatic since my wife drove through a lot of bumper to bumper traffic. When we went to Corvette shows we took both, the boys in the Convertible and the girls in their air conditioned coupe. We kept our girls comfortable and cool while they listened to the stereo on the way to the shows

I personally really like any Corvette that was made with Chrome Bumpers. My wife's 1988 C4 is really fun to drive and handles way better than the C3's. The C4's are now cheaper than the C3's are. To each their own as there are a lot of choices out there. I wish you the very best in your search for the perfect Corvette for you and your family!
The following 2 users liked this post by ctmccloskey:
Coronette (11-23-2022), grady white (11-18-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 04:08 PM
Corvette-ZL1
Burning Brakes

Received 484 Likes on 341 Posts

Love both previous responses. I'm in the process of an unplanned restoration of my '69 4-speed vert, and have created several threads on this forum along the way. You are in a good place. Not only do you have all the family support you mentioned, but you also have the volumes-deep level of knowledge from members on this very forum. I'm doing just about everything that is $$$ on this car, and the timeline I've given myself is one year from start to finish (clock started in late May). This is an expensive project:
  • Stroker motor to replace my original numbers-matching motor
  • Entire rolling chassis replacement - will be finishing that up this weekend, hopefully
  • Brand new paint - Color change
I don't think that I would be ANYWHERE near where I am now with this car without guidance from members on this forum.

If you are interested in the C3, when shopping for one, make sure you examine the frame and birdcage closely. Rust is common amongst the entire C3 gen (and C2 gen since they share essentially the same box frame/chassis), and that is very costly to address. You can have a gorgeous example with awesome paint, engine, and interior, but a rusted frame and birdcage without knowing it - and that makes for an unsafe vehicle. IMO, if the chassis is in good condition, just about everything else is gravy, because the foundation is strong.

Happy hunting, and welcome!

Last edited by Corvette-ZL1; 11-17-2022 at 04:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Coronette (11-23-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 05:11 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

As stated , RUST is the worse thing about these old cars. Finding a nice clean example that hasn't been in an accident is getting harder ,but they do exist . It's worth waiting ,or paying extra for one in a good condition .

Best advice I can give is post pics of every car you look at on here . There are lots of guys who love to examine potential buys (me included) and will pick the details out for you for free !
The following 2 users liked this post by bazza77:
Coronette (11-23-2022), grady white (11-18-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 06:09 PM
n2h2o2
Pro

Received 339 Likes on 234 Posts

My 2 cents...
First, welcome to the C3 addiction!
I think all of these comments are right on track...Don't let your passion and dreams override reality...
I have done ONE frame off, rotisserie, nut and bolt, NCRS restoration....PROBABLY will not do another...
It took me three years of every night and weekend. It was an obsession.
When not actually working on the car, I was scouring the internet and swap meets for parts...
Long story short, I never recaptured the money or time invested. It was a net loss financially, but invaluable for experience....
I like to call it "tuition"...
On the other hand, I have had the most enjoyment buying a good, solid "driver" and just addressing small projects on it as I continued to enjoy driving it on the weekends...
My suggestion would be to go the latter route first as to not cause financial ruin, embarrassment of defeat, a divorce or all of the above.
As for the car, look for the best you can afford. Rust is the biggest issue. If looking for a cheaper project, I would rather find a cheap one with a blown or missing engine than one that runs good with a rusted out frame and birdcage...And I guess I would also add to NOT start with a "Barnfind" or one that hasn't been driven in 30 years or so...It will eat you alive to bring all the systems back to life.
Good luck!
Coronette (11-23-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 07:44 PM
jpillion
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all - excellent advice and perspective, I will definitely heed it.

Question - just to help baseline my own expectations: what are thoughts on a car like this?(editing to fix the facebook link. please copy/paste this, and remove the space before the .com) https://www.facebook .com/marketplace/item/638342767916349
What I notice:
  • Pieces missing (front bumper, mirror, antenna). Or maybe that front bumper was an incomplete chrome conversion?
  • Interior intact but not great
  • engine bay looks moderately clean
  • Appears to be drivable
Assuming an inspection didn't turn up any major rust concerns, and the photos accurately represented reality - what would you expect to pay for something like this or others in relatively similar condition? My initial thought is 12k is a bit high, I'd want something closer to $8-10k, but how should I calibrate that expectation?

Similarly, https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/7546896639.html
Not much to observe here from the pictures, other than, looks fairly cosmetically clean... which arguably I don't care *too* much about, as I expect to redo most of that. But nice to not *have* to immediately.

Last edited by jpillion; 11-17-2022 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-17-2022, 08:39 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,199 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Welcome! As a rookie I understand the reasoning of the members.
I see you have already developed a good plan.
Read each reply...outline a plan that works for YOU.
I bought a barely drivable basket case with a good birdcage.....therefore there were NO horrible surprises.
(The body-off does not have to be the first project if the car is already drivable, although it makes rebuilding easier)

Lessons I learned the hard way:
TAKE LOTS OF PHOTOS OF EACH AREA-COMPONENT BEFORE DISASSEMBLY/after disassembly! INCLUDE NOTES WITH PHOTOS!
1. Plan each area of the car that needs attention...SAFETY ITEMS GET TOP PRIORITY (brakes/new tires/worn suspension/worn driveline parts/steering components/ (u-joints/bearings/trailing arms/park brake/old fuel lines-gas tank/cooling system-radiator/etc)

2. Keep the car drivable while you repair one area at a time (you won't get discouraged taking one bite of "the Elephant" at a time. (Example: Rebuild-paint driver's-side suspension & repair brakes/then passenger's-side suspension & brakes)

3. "LIFE HAPPENS"...be prepared to alter plans, but do not take short cuts to stay on track.

4. Buy good parks on sale for the area you plan on tackling first. When that area is nearly complete, buy parts for the next area of the car you plan on restoring/resto-modding.

5. Buy used OEm parts and/or quality reproduction parts (not the cheap stuff...been there... . ALSO.... buy working used brackets/gauges/interior hard-to-find panels etc that are in good condition which only need media blasting and fresh paint or new dye to revive them.

6.The list goes on, but remember...you can save $$$$$$$$ by doing the work yourself....then dedicate the saved $$$$$$ to shiny new chrome items/quality paint job/etc.

Note: I had never touched a C3 Corvette until joining this forum....the members have helped me so much that I've done everything from rebuilding the clock to rebuilding the trailing arms with their advice and encouragement. (did I always listen to them = No! Most times I did things backwards .

REMEMBER....keep it drivable as much as possible....tag/bag EVERY part you remove....take a photograph of EVERY part you remove,,,,,,
photos have great memories + you have a wonderful scrapbook to review when reassembling the car.

NOW....
Have Fun...
take breaks when necessary......

Last edited by doorgunner; 11-17-2022 at 08:48 PM.
Coronette (11-23-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 10:29 AM
grady white
Burning Brakes

Received 260 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by jpillion
So, I've been lurking on these forums for a while, and have learned a lot. But, what was once a "one day" is coming closer to a reality, so I thought I'd jump in here and say hi.

I'm a newbie to restoration, but a fairly mechanical guy. Grew up doing most work myself with my dad and father in law, and always done the mechanical repairs myself (injectors, suspension, and cv joints being the most involved I've done). A few ideas are converging now though, and I'm planning on going all in and rebuilding a C3. What's converging? I have three boys - older two are 8 and 10, and in love with everything mechanical. We've done some work (recently replaced all the fuel injectors on a L86), and they're wanting more. I want to give it to them, and help them build memories and education. Secondly, my wife has always loved well done classic cars, and loves the "rust to riches" type shows - though I think they've given her a false impression of the amount of effort going into it. She's been pressuring me to get a rustbucket and restore it. She's always eyed up the C3's and points them out of a crowd. And thirdly, I inadvertently acquired some shop space, which has been one of my barriers (where the heck am I going to work on something like this for the next x years??). I've got the space to work with, that is begging to be filled.

I have a machinist for a father-in-law, a welder + heavy machinery mechanic for a brother-in-law, and a good friend who rebuilds engines (for himself), but doesn't do restorations. I have shop space, and a wife pressuring me to get a project car, and two boys who are begging to do car projects. so.... my plan is to find a C3, and go big, and do it up nice as a gift for my wife. It's definitely jumping from the kiddie pool to the high-dive. That's par for the course in my life though. It would be her sunny-weather sunday driver. I'm not too concerned about numbers matching, all original, etc. Main thing is that it ends up as a nice car that's fun to drive, and that she's proud to show off, and the kids will learn a lot from.

So my questions are:
  1. what are red flags I should look for to avoid? - I've read enough of you all talking about rust on the birdcage to watch for that... any other major deal breakers?
  2. what are the biggest "you'll want to know..." items for taking on a C3 project car?
  3. part of me wants to do a full frame-off restoration. part of me says that's a hole too deep to dig myself out of. Please tell me I'm an idiot for considering that?
  4. any general advice?
ps. I'm in the Seattle area. Any local groups you'd recommend that I should look into?

​​​​​​
if you are going to purchase a corvette and rebuild it with ur sons find a year that you can a least get some money back .. All C2 ,
Old 11-18-2022, 10:38 AM
Corvette-ZL1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by grady white
if you are going to purchase a corvette and rebuild it with ur sons find a year that you can a least get some money back .. All C2 ,
ugh.......PLEEEEEEEASE, no more generation flame wars.....Especially when a new forum member is involved. We don't need that kind of noise here. If the OP is interested in the C2, he'll probably post there too, but we're in the C3 forum.

Early C3's are doing just fine and hold their own, value-wise, especially L46's, LT1's, and the BB's - but all early chrome bumper C3 boats have risen with the tide, OP. They have started to become quite valuable over the past several years, and the trend will very likely continue. The underlying point is, buy whatever year and gen you prefer most.

Complete vehicle restoration is a very costly (and generally) money-losing endeavor, as well as a huge commitment in time - regardless of Corvette generation, so choose what year you like most, and buy the best example that budget allows for. And whatever you do, do check that chassis and birdcage before purchasing (that goes for both the C3 and the C2). That spells the difference between a $$ restoration, and a $$$$$ restoration. If both frame and birdcage are BOTH rusted, oh my.... $$$$$$$$$$$$

Even nice and well documented examples require their share of maintenance, so there will always be something to maintain, fix, or improve upon.

Last edited by Corvette-ZL1; 11-18-2022 at 11:14 AM.
Coronette (11-23-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 10:53 AM
pigfarmer
Burning Brakes

Received 295 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by jpillion
Main thing is that it ends up as a nice car that's fun to drive, and that she's proud to show off, and the kids will learn a lot from.
  1. part of me wants to do a full frame-off restoration. part of me says that's a hole too deep to dig myself out of. Please tell me I'm an idiot for considering tha

​​​​​​
I'm with you having a nice driver and not sweating numbers # etc. Doesn't mean I don't think twice or three times before changing something original but I don't get locked up over it if I have to. Give it what it actually needs, not everything all at once and drive it, get used to it before you go nuts. Do it yourself, or as much as you can. Don't sweat the small stuff and enjoy it, these things were meant to be used and not treated as shrines. Far too many cars are taken apart and never get put back together, or just sit and rot like mine did until I bought it.

Better an imperfect driver today than a perfect one you're afraid to get a chip in years later.

The following 2 users liked this post by pigfarmer:
Coronette (11-23-2022), MrRanggong (11-23-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 10:59 AM
wellcraft290
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome and I would def look for a nice example that needs things. avoid the rust bucket. needs paint. maybe an engine. Interior. a good car that maybe has been sitting for a while.
Coronette (11-23-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 11:07 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 554 Likes on 447 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

You have to be fully committed to do a frame off. I did one with a 62 and it took about 10 years to just get it back on the road. It still has some work to do (wipers washers not hooked up). I need to have some paint problems fixed. Budget went way over than expected... Its doable but your family could lose interest. Now, there are corvettes that you can get for a good price which can be upgraded to drive nicer (suspension/steering/engine work/gearing). I look back and don't regret the dedication to do my 62 frame off. I do enjoy working on my son's 1974 because I can see the light at the end of tunnel whereas the 62 it was more a dim hue.

In my opinion, I would look for a corvette that is in your budget where it was someone else's project that has been started but not completed. Your kids are young enough they would enjoy it driving. A good driver... There are lots of wide variety out there for C3s in all kinds of condition.

Avoid birdcage rust. Heck, I would primarily find ones out in the western states unless it was a very low miles corvette. 1975 and older is good for Californians (smog exempt).

Sound advice:

Heck, I did not know very much mechanically when I first started. It sounds like you got the support. Go for it.

Coronette (11-23-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 11:10 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Also, keep the heavy machine mechanic away from the corvette. Trust me, I have a brother-in-law who does the same work. He is a bull in a china shop when it comes to car restorations.
Coronette (11-23-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 11:15 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

You should talk to Adolfo Sandoval. He is in Edmonds.

Located in: Perrinville village
Address: 18605 76th Ave W, Edmonds, WA 98026
Hours:
Closed ⋅ Opens 9:30AM
Phone: (206) 683-5855

He has contacts who will have either a projects or completed corvettes. Tim my friend just took a silver 70 L82 up there. Very nice restoration and worth to look at to see what it takes to do it. I know Tim has access to a few projects. He is into buying and selling projects too.
Coronette (11-23-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 11:18 AM
reno stallion
Melting Slicks

Received 1,530 Likes on 808 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

This is the best advice. Start with the nicest car you can afford. Plusses : Original paint even if its bad,original engine and trans, rust free, original owner or second . I know might be tough to find but not impossible. And definitely a no hit car. The less you have to do to it the better off you will be. Your main concern would be body and frame. Refurbishing the suspension, engine,trans,wiring,soft parts. Thats all fun stuff. Now body paint and Interior this is where your wallet comes in
Coronette (11-23-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 11:25 AM
Corvette-ZL1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by reno stallion
This is the best advice. Start with the nicest car you can afford. Plusses : Original paint even if its bad,original engine and trans, rust free, original owner or second . I know might be tough to find but not impossible. And definitely a no hit car. The less you have to do to it the better off you will be. Your main concern would be body and frame. Refurbishing the suspension, engine,trans,wiring,soft parts. Thats all fun stuff. Now body paint and Interior this is where your wallet comes in
In California, I won't argue how expensive paint is there - I mean like 50k for a nice paint job alone. It's crazy with all the regulations, but outside of Cali, the inverse is true - having to replace a rusted frame (and especially birdcage) and rebuild chassis components would easily exceed the cost of paint and interior. Basic rebuilt rolling chassis' without the birdcage START at 14K+ salestax and shipping, and go from up from there quite rapidly (depending on upgrades), and at that starting price, you're still having to install all the brake and fuel lines. Not terribly difficult, but just saying, it ain't just plug and play...

To me, the most important aspect of any project is the foundation (in this case the frame and birdcage). Everything else is gravy. Not necessarily cheap, but gravy....

Last edited by Corvette-ZL1; 11-18-2022 at 12:51 PM.
Coronette (11-23-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Newbie getting started..

Old 11-18-2022, 11:35 AM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts

Look here:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...56/?prefixid=1
Old 11-19-2022, 09:11 AM
interpon
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,034 Likes on 1,556 Posts

My thoughts, and many mentioned..
- rust
- collision damage
- body condition as I didn’t see body repair, pant in diy capability .
- wife driving pleasure…auto? Stick? Any visual preference?
- avoid someone elses project imo..missing parts
- get a driver
​​​​​​- no buying without inspection
​​​​​​- as mentioned look in for sale here in for sale area…i would look for longer time poster as you can see history of car in posts!

good luck!
Coronette (11-23-2022)
Old 11-23-2022, 11:12 AM
MAD Matt
Drifting

Received 1,353 Likes on 600 Posts

Being 40-50 years old, a lot of these cars have hidden rust....somewhere. Have someone familiar with C3's give you a second opinion prior to purchase. Good luck!

Last edited by MAD Matt; 11-23-2022 at 08:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Newbie getting started..