Sponsored by:

Blown engine- rebuild or crate?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2022, 11:16 AM
boedy04
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown engine- rebuild or crate?

1973 Stingray blew it's engine and I'd like to say it wasn't 100% my fault (my wife would disagree). Oil pressure gauge and sensor were faulty and gasket incorrectly installed caused significant oil leakage. Long story short, threw a rod after discovering a large gash in my oil pan. I have it all disconnected and ready to pull but hate to see my toy just setting in the garage.

So I've come to two options:

1) Pull the original and rebuild it myself with the assistance of more seasoned professionals. I realize it's a large task, but all of the numbers match which I like. It'll require weekend work since I'm still teaching but it would be a worthwhile experience.

2) Pull the original, drop a crate, rebuild original and either sell or keep the original rebuild. With this option it would increase the performance, but again I'm a teacher not a millionaire. I'd like something reliable and sturdy but also not break the bank. Recommendations on a 350 small block crate engine or manufacturer?

I am reaching out to my fellow enthusiasts for feedback/suggestions on either option. I miss driving my blue beauty.

-Boedy04

Old 08-27-2022, 12:28 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 787 Likes on 542 Posts

First question - is the block salvagable ??? That is far from a given when a rod is thrown.

What do you consider "breaking the bank"in terms of $$$ ? Most crate engines run in the $3,500 - $6,000 range.

I'm not a person who puts a lot of importance on the "Numbers Matching" stuff - so if it were me - I'd be looking for a replacement engine or short block. But since you are more concerned about numbers matching - if I were you - the first thing I'd be doing is pulling the engine, and removing the oil pan, and seeing how bad the damage really is.
Old 08-27-2022, 12:34 PM
Gold Dragon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 172 Likes on 141 Posts

“Engine threw a rod” Where did it go.? Thinking you should continue with pulling the engine. Get an engine stand if you don’t already have one. Tear the engine down and inspect all the parts. You need to determine if the engine can be rebuilt. Sometimes, a catastrophic failure like what you have described can render an engine useless. If that is the case, you will have your answer. Find a good machine shop that can help.
Old 08-27-2022, 12:51 PM
kossuth
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 189 Posts

DITTO on get the engine out. Either get it on a stand or take it to a competent machine shop to inspect. As others have said given it has thrown a rod its very possible the block is junk. It’s possible it also crashed at least one of the heads in the process. Its possible everything below the carb is junk but you wont know until you get it apart.

It might come down to a crate or junkyard motor is your only option.
Old 08-27-2022, 03:38 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,004 Posts

If the block is not damaged (I'm sure its ok) I would rebuild what you have, will be cheaper than a new crate engine.
Old 08-27-2022, 03:45 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Option #2. Bag the original engine and throw it in a corner. Buy a 383 crate with +400 hp. You'll be glad you did.
Old 08-27-2022, 06:19 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

get oil pan off and post pics block is probably scrap metal though.
Old 08-27-2022, 06:46 PM
How Are You
Drifting

Received 403 Likes on 296 Posts

396 from blueprint engines!
Old 08-27-2022, 07:34 PM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,584 Likes on 2,765 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

You really need to assess the damage first. when I was very young I had a 64 Impala. SBC. It used a lot of oil but it got me to work. One day on the freeway, it started knocking. No where to safely pull over, So I kept going. the knocking got louder, then a big BANG! then a swooshing sound but the engine kept running. I got it to a off ramp. opened the hood. Rod on number 5 was sticking through the block. Done.
If your rod was just knocking, you could only be looking at a crank and rods. OK You would probably want to freshen it up at this point, but rebuildable. if the rod went through the block. Shop for a replacement.
Old 08-28-2022, 12:09 AM
How Are You
Drifting

Received 403 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by How Are You
396 from blueprint engines!
Old 08-28-2022, 06:51 AM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,705 Likes on 1,421 Posts

I think you should first confirm if your block is good or not. If it is not salvageable, then you have your answer.

Otherwise, the first question is what you want out of the engine. If you are content with the stock power levels, or slightly better, then I would rebuild your existing engine with that as your guide. I found that "power" is addicting.....but comes with a hefty price. And buying a crate engine does NOT mean you will have a perfect, problem free engine, and if all you are doing is buying a mild crate engine.......you are gaining very little, spending more.

I have the original L48 engine out of my 77 sitting in the basement. I have spent huge money on a 406 small block, which is being rebuilt the second time because of the failures of the original "builder". ALL of this cost four times what I would have spent in rebuilding my original engine, even with some mild performance enhancements. Is it worth it? I don't know. Its about what I want out of the car, and what the car gives back to me. The original motor was running just fine when I restored the car. At the time, my thinking was that 180 HP was not appropriate for a Corvette....and that needed fixed. Now....after all, I think maybe I should have just rebuild the original engine with some mild heads./ mild cam.......it would certainly NOT have performed like the 406, BUT.....I would have saved alot of money and headache. I drive my car alot. It would have went down PA roads just fine at the speeds I drive, and where I drive, with the rebuilt L48. Sure......maybe a little less acceleration.....but I am not sure it would have made that much difference to the satisfaction. The true price for more power is NOT proportional.....it takes BIG money to make SMALL noticeable on the street power increases that you can feel.

So.....decide what you want out of the car, and what you think you need to enjoy it. Performance is only one factor. And power is only achieved with money. Is it worth it to you? If you do buy a crate motor.....make sure the builder has a great reputation with lots of documented reviews. They are NOT all the same.....believe me, I know. Check out my thread "406 SBC Problems to Solve this Winter".
Old 08-28-2022, 07:50 AM
bluthundr
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 125 Posts

I vote pull the original engine, put it on a stand so you can tear into it this winter, go grab any SBC from the junk yard (even like a 305 from a truck) and drop it in for now so you can enjoy your car for the rest of the season and figure out what to do from there.
The following users liked this post:
68post (08-30-2022)
Old 08-28-2022, 08:00 AM
derekderek
Race Director

btw. you threw the rod before you discovered the large gash in the oil pan. unless you hit a manhole cover and ripped the pan open at the bottom, the gash was made by the rod leaving. and the rod doesn't just go down. it goes up and snaps cam journal web and breaks hunks out of the cylinder wall. very low odds this block is usable.
Old 08-28-2022, 08:26 PM
randallsteel
Pro

Received 212 Likes on 151 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by boedy04
1) Pull the original and rebuild it myself with the assistance of more seasoned professionals. I realize it's a large task, but all of the numbers match which I like. It'll require weekend work since I'm still teaching but it would be a worthwhile experience.
Id vote rebuild. Something about doing it yourself is more rewarding than just slapping in a pre assembled engine. Plus, first time rebuilding, you’ll learn a lot.
But it depends on machine shop cost to salvage your current block, depending on the damage it might be more cost effective to crate.
When I rebuilt mine it was about $700 cheaper than a comparable crate, which big picture, isn’t a huge savings. But I preferred to do it myself.
Old 08-28-2022, 08:35 PM
derekderek
Race Director

nobody gets a vote until we see pics of his rotating assy and block.
Old 08-28-2022, 10:51 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't need a vote. Original engine, keep it unless it's garbage. Down on cash, buy a replacement since you probably only want to do this once, either a crate of some sort or a used one, either way it does'nt affect the value, and you can drive it in short order. They're only matching once. My L-68 had a replacement block, original heads, cost me at least 20K when I sold it. You can always sell the original with the car.

Hans
Old 08-29-2022, 05:35 AM
derekderek
Race Director

it is all moot until we know if it is scrap metal or not. it is, but we don't know it yet. once you snap a rod you do bad things to the block.
Old 08-29-2022, 07:41 AM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,584 Likes on 2,765 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Have to agree that the odds are, if the rod snapped and went through the oil pan. That further damage to the block is highly likely.
None the less. it's not carved in stone. So until the O.P. Pulls that oil pan and has a looky see.
We are all blowing smoke.
Old 08-29-2022, 07:31 PM
Lyndwood
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 64 Posts

pull the engine and trans if the engine is out do everything that is under the car that is a pain to work on (do it once-do it right) have the engine rebuilt by a professional ,dont be the guy relying on a buddy with a harbor freight ball hone, a can of WD-40 and streaming YouTube DIY engine rebuild clips to perform a cheap miracle for you. Have the trans gone threw and or rebuilt if not once you put that new power to an old whooped trans that will be next to go. Personally I'd just put all the original stuf in the corner of the shop and drop an LS conversion in it and be done with it.

Get notified of new replies

To Blown engine- rebuild or crate?

Quick Reply: Blown engine- rebuild or crate?