Sponsored by:

Followup C3 Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2022, 04:14 PM
LarryLaddin
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Followup C3 Purchase

I want to start by thanking all the members who helped me with my recent purchase of my 1971 coupe. It was great being able to ask the seller/neighbor really good questions. Anyway, as promised, I'm following up with more questions and pics of the car along with things I'd like to tinker with, assuming I have the skills/right tools. Besides driving it here are some things I'd like to do which are not in any order:
1. Straighten front bumper - see pic
2. Adjust passenger headlight bucket/repair the chip above it - see pic
3. Find and repair carb solenoid - see pic of carb
4. Fix interior trim - replace rear window lower molding - see pic
5. Remove side pipes and install stock exhausts - see pic of behind the valances
6. Fix clock
7. Replace window felt or outer window

Bent bumper

Paint chip above headlight bucket, bucket adjustment

Has a half inch gap on each side , likes its too small

Inside rear valances

Inside rear valances

Inside rear valances

seals?
8. Sort through parts that came with the car - see pics. My neighbor said that some of these parts aren't for a 71.

I'm interested in what you think of these fixes or am I just wasting money?

Old 04-20-2022, 04:17 PM
CorvetteMike2024
Corvette Junkie
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,026 Likes on 839 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Looking forward to seeing your progress!
The following users liked this post:
LarryLaddin (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 05:10 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,705 Likes on 1,421 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

You have a red circle in the picture of the front bumper, at the center point of the bumper. THAT is NOT BENT, and is the way they are made, and they way they are supposed to be.
LarryLaddin (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 05:23 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

1971 Idle Stop Solenoid

Go to this link to see pictures of an installed Idle Stop Solenoid
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-solenoid.html

You will need a special screw to mount the Idle Stop Solenoid bracket to the carb, see below link for a picture of that screw.
Corvette OEM 1973 1974 454 4 speed carburetor Idle Solenoid Switch bracket and | eBay

The solenoid is GM 1114444, couple links to that chunk of gold.
https://shop.docrebuild.com/1971Corv...114444NOS.aspx
https://www.corvettecentral.com/c3-6...olenoid-353012

Best approach here is to dumpster dive the internet and look for a good used original "WORKING" solenoid, bracket and screw.
LarryLaddin (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 06:16 PM
LarryLaddin
Advanced

Originally Posted by CorvettePassion
You have a red circle in the picture of the front bumper, at the center point of the bumper. THAT is NOT BENT, and is the way they are made, and they way they are supposed to be.
Thank you, that is good to know. It just looked funny to me. So, all I needd to do it push the driver's side in a bit to make it look normal?
Old 04-20-2022, 06:17 PM
LarryLaddin
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mr D.
1971 Idle Stop Solenoid

Go to this link to see pictures of an installed Idle Stop Solenoid
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-solenoid.html

You will need a special screw to mount the Idle Stop Solenoid bracket to the carb, see below link for a picture of that screw.
Corvette OEM 1973 1974 454 4 speed carburetor Idle Solenoid Switch bracket and | eBay

The solenoid is GM 1114444, couple links to that chunk of gold.
https://shop.docrebuild.com/1971Corv...114444NOS.aspx
https://www.corvettecentral.com/c3-6...olenoid-353012

Best approach here is to dumpster dive the internet and look for a good used original "WORKING" solenoid, bracket and screw.
Thank you. This looks doable for my skill level.

Edit: my spelling is awful.
Old 04-20-2022, 06:25 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,508 Likes on 3,592 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Love to see the finish product!
LarryLaddin (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 06:37 PM
LarryLaddin
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1bdvet
Love to see the finish product!
I don't know if you saw the car from the previous thread. It is in ptetty good shape but I need to tinker and make it better. The interior needs more attention and the outsid. Here are a couple of photos from last week.

CorvetteMike2024 (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 07:29 PM
Bluesting70
Drifting

Received 952 Likes on 468 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Winner - Modified
2023 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified
2021 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

that’s funny. I’ve had mine for 13 years and all this time my wife just asked me yesterday when was I going to fix that!
Old 04-20-2022, 07:41 PM
LarryLaddin
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bluesting70
that’s funny. I’ve had mine for 13 years and all this time my wife just asked me yesterday when was I going to fix that!
I'm glad to see that it wasn't only me.
Old 04-20-2022, 08:26 PM
grady white
Burning Brakes

Received 260 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryLaddin
I'm glad to see that it wasn't only me.
thanks for the follow up Larry that’s is a beautiful car and great price .. listen to all the members on this forum they are a great bunch of people and are extremely knowledgeable.. they have help me many times .. Enjoy that beauty and happy motoring 👍🚗
LarryLaddin (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 08:42 PM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

You should be able to move the F bumper over. Looks like it needs to be slid over about 1/2" - 5/8". That's quite a bit.

I guess before you start, just make sure the front mounts to the body are where they should be and you don't see any evidence of a bent frame (in the front). I mean if the frame is bent a little from a front end whack that's going to make it a little trickier. Then look at the bumper bracket bolts and if they look ok, loosen the nuts and start with the adjustment/shimming process. W/o looking at things it's going to be difficult to guide you through what needs to be done. Could be it's an aftermarket bumper where the holes were punched wrong. Or could be something else more sinister hiding back there. Which might also be why the headlight doesn't line up right. but you should be able to adjust that out a little.

Worst case scenario either: try another bumper, straighten the front frame horns (if bent), replace/bend/straighten bumper brackets (if needed) ...or take it to a bodyshop (or do yourself) and have them cut the brackets and re-weld as needed to make the bumper fit 'centered'. The last option is probably the cheapest if there isn't enough adjustment in the bolts. It's not really the 'right' way to do it, ...it's like trying to make the leaning tower of Pisa look straight by building a top section to 'look' straight ..even though the rest is bent, but it would achieve your goal probably the fastest and cheapest. If someone did a good job cutting/welding/grinding the brackets and did a good job, they could make it nearly seamless.

But somewhere behind that bumper is a root-issue story why it's not lining up. No big deal, even if things are twisted up a little under there.

Last edited by Mark G; 04-20-2022 at 08:50 PM.
LarryLaddin (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 08:52 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

My 72 is still original it does however have a few body issues but the outer ends fit good, I have seen aftermarket bumpers that do not fit right.

The following 2 users liked this post by FASTAZU:
Haggisbash (04-21-2022), LarryLaddin (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 09:37 PM
LarryLaddin
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mark G
You should be able to move the F bumper over. Looks like it needs to be slid over about 1/2" - 5/8". That's quite a bit.

I guess before you start, just make sure the front mounts to the body are where they should be and you don't see any evidence of a bent frame (in the front). I mean if the frame is bent a little from a front end whack that's going to make it a little trickier. Then look at the bumper bracket bolts and if they look ok, loosen the nuts and start with the adjustment/shimming process. W/o looking at things it's going to be difficult to guide you through what needs to be done. Could be it's an aftermarket bumper where the holes were punched wrong. Or could be something else more sinister hiding back there. Which might also be why the headlight doesn't line up right. but you should be able to adjust that out a little.

Worst case scenario either: try another bumper, straighten the front frame horns (if bent), replace/bend/straighten bumper brackets (if needed) ...or take it to a bodyshop (or do yourself) and have them cut the brackets and re-weld as needed to make the bumper fit 'centered'. The last option is probably the cheapest if there isn't enough adjustment in the bolts. It's not really the 'right' way to do it, ...it's like trying to make the leaning tower of Pisa look straight by building a top section to 'look' straight ..even though the rest is bent, but it would achieve your goal probably the fastest and cheapest. If someone did a good job cutting/welding/grinding the brackets and did a good job, they could make it nearly seamless.

But somewhere behind that bumper is a root-issue story why it's not lining up. No big deal, even if things are twisted up a little under there.
Thank you for the detailed explanation. I can inspect the front end more carefully. Unfortunately, the actual bumper repair looks like it is beyond my skill level. I may have to take it to a body shop although I'm nervous about doing that.
Old 04-20-2022, 09:47 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,367 Likes on 3,952 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Like I said loosen the bumper brackets and slide it over, it will look better. For everything else make a plan and do it next winter, Drive the car and enjoy it. THe feeling and joy you will gain will keep you motivated to finish any work you do during the winter...provided you have a warm garage to work in. You should ask your neighbor why he removed that idle solenoid.....I personally would not put it back on if you can tune the carb not to need it. Post some pics of you out enjoying it
LarryLaddin (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 09:59 PM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

Larry. Nice car. And definitely enjoy it. It'll be a blast. I'm definitely not trying to scare you with bent frame talk. Probably isn't. Just something to look into. It might be a simple adjustment, or, like I say, the aftermarket bumper may not have fit right from the start (certainly not out of the question, given the current state of aftermarket (import) parts). It's one of those things that's hard to say. If you have a good buddy who's kind of a car guy or has good mechanical aptitude, the bumper adjustment is pretty straight forward. Really don't need to take it to a body shop if you know some skilled guys (they're out there). The bodyshop suggestion was if you needed to cut/paste the bumper brackets (worst case).

I used to help my buddy for years at his bodyshop when he was starting out. You get pretty good at making cars look 'lined-up' and 'straight' before you send them out the door.

Cheers!!
LarryLaddin (04-20-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 10:07 PM
LarryLaddin
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
Like I said loosen the bumper brackets and slide it over, it will look better. For everything else make a plan and do it next winter, Drive the car and enjoy it. THe feeling and joy you will gain will keep you motivated to finish any work you do during the winter...provided you have a warm garage to work in. You should ask your neighbor why he removed that idle solenoid.....I personally would not put it back on if you can tune the carb not to need it. Post some pics of you out enjoying it
I'll give that a try. So I'll loosen the bolts that support the blade part if the bumper (not the vertical bumperettes) then slide it toward the passenger side. I think I can do that. I bought an impact wrench that should make it easier.

The car runs and idles fine so I'll take your advice and not worry about replacing it. There isn't a bracket there either.

Thank you, I appreciate your help.
Edit: fix spelling

Get notified of new replies

To Followup C3 Purchase

Old 04-20-2022, 10:13 PM
LarryLaddin
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mark G
Larry. Nice car. And definitely enjoy it. It'll be a blast. I'm definitely not trying to scare you with bent frame talk. Probably isn't. Just something to look into. It might be a simple adjustment, or, like I say, the aftermarket bumper may not have fit right from the start (certainly not out of the question, given the current state of aftermarket (import) parts). It's one of those things that's hard to say. If you have a good buddy who's kind of a car guy or has good mechanical aptitude, the bumper adjustment is pretty straight forward. Really don't need to take it to a body shop if you know some skilled guys (they're out there). The bodyshop suggestion was if you needed to cut/paste the bumper brackets (worst case).

I used to help my buddy for years at his bodyshop when he was starting out. You get pretty good at making cars look 'lined-up' and 'straight' before you send them out the door.

Cheers!!
Thanks Mark, Rescue Rogers has also encouraged me to give it a shot. So looks like a rainy day project.
Old 04-20-2022, 11:04 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

Hope this helps you to locate the proper bolts to loosen. 3-9-13 are the main ones. You can also see shims that can be added or removed at the outer corners #15.

LarryLaddin (04-21-2022)
Old 04-21-2022, 07:34 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

grab the left side of the bumper and twist it upwards. see if it bows the center a bit farther away from the body. and carb. get the numbers off the left side of the carb and see if it is the correct orig carb.
LarryLaddin (04-21-2022)

Quick Reply: Followup C3 Purchase