C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing a Corvette. What type of trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2021, 06:42 PM
Gold Dragon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 172 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Towing a Corvette. What type of trailer?

Planning a move. Need to pick up a trailer for my C3. I am a noob when it comes to towing and trailers. Wanted to find out what type of trailer other members are using and why.
Old 12-09-2021, 07:31 PM
forman
Drifting

Received 284 Likes on 216 Posts

uhaul has one with retractable fenders so you load the car then flip them up
The following 3 users liked this post by forman:
A10pilot (12-09-2021), LenWoodruff (03-16-2022), Pegan2261 (12-10-2021)
Old 12-09-2021, 07:34 PM
67:72
1967 Pedal Car Champion
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Are you talking buying or renting? I rented a U-Haul full car trailer many years ago for my '72 and it was no hassle.
Do you have a full-size pickup or Suburban-type vehicle? You'll need that to handle the combined weight of the trailer and car. Are you getting a U-Haul truck for the house or garage goods? The U-Haul trailer is well-suited for that and is the route I went.

You'll also need some advice for loading the car on the trailer for proper weight distribution so it's not squirrelly (and dangerous) on the road.
The following users liked this post:
Jebbysan (12-10-2021)
Old 12-09-2021, 07:38 PM
bluthundr
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 125 Posts

I towed mine from Texas to Indiana with a U haul truck and trailer - no issues
Old 12-09-2021, 08:26 PM
Driving69
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 221 Likes on 95 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Agree with the U Haul trailer comments. I rented one and towed my 69 250miles (mostly interstate) without any issues. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again if I needed to.
Old 12-09-2021, 08:32 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 541 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by 67:72
You'll also need some advice for loading the car on the trailer for proper weight distribution so it's not squirrelly (and dangerous) on the road.
Just make sure there is weight on the tongue. If the weight gets too far back the trailer will try to pass you. Ask me how I know.
The following 2 users liked this post by drwet:
Driving69 (12-09-2021), hunt4cleanair (12-13-2021)
Old 12-09-2021, 09:44 PM
67:72
1967 Pedal Car Champion
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by drwet
Just make sure there is weight on the tongue. If the weight gets too far back the trailer will try to pass you. Ask me how I know.
Too much weight on the tongue can "unload" front wheels of the tow vehicle and make steering difficult and unstable.
Old 12-10-2021, 09:17 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,353 Likes on 3,945 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Uhaul trailer, tow vehicle has to be rated for the weight of the trailer and the vehicle on it. IF its under weight, you have to get stabilizers to keep the tow vehicles front wheels planted. ITs not the power of the tow vehicle its the rear spring capacity.... heres a few Helpful hints from past experience.
  1. Always drive the nose of the car onto a trailer if it is front engined to keep the weight on the tongue.
  2. With Uhaul make sure of the rates before you sign. They advertize $100 rentals for trailer but if its one way they triple the price. If you are traveling both ways, rent ithe trailer at home, tow it to the new car and tow it back, its cheaper
  3. Make sure all the straps to hold the front tires are there.
  4. The tool for tightening the ratchets is there.
  5. A pin to lock the tongue latch.
  6. both the ramps are in the trailer
  7. the lights work and the plug on the tow vehicle works before hand. Get a test plug that plugs into the vehicle, they are cheap
  8. when you get the car onto the trailer, the drivers side fender folds down so you can open the door and get out. Make sure it folds and make sure the pins for it are installed
  9. Make sure there is good tread on the trailer tires, there is noe slices or cuts on the side walls, and that they are full and not very old.
  10. Get insurance for when the tires blow on the trailer
  11. ask for a trailer spare
  12. make sure you have a jack that can lift the trailer with a car on it
  13. have a sense of humor for when things go sideways. If it doesnt kill you then make it into a story you can tell everyone and get a laugh or an OMG
  14. IF there is road construction do not drive in the lane that they under cut below the old paved road. IF the sidewalls hit that cut you will spend most of the night on the side of a freezing highway. Stay on the high side. IF there is a line of traffic behind you so be it, the construction wont last for ever
  15. If you have your dog and things go bad, put the leash on the dog before you get out of the vehicle and make sure he is tied in so if he decides to jump out the drivers door he doesnt end up in traffic. Dogs dont understand where they are until they are there.
  16. Always enjoy the fireflies when you can, lifes short. IF you dont have fireflies in your neck of the woods...take a trip this summer and find some...its like the northern lights....same thing, find some
  17. If your car doesnt run bring a winch to haul the vehicle up onto the trailer
  18. when the battery for the winch fails make sure you have a come-a-long
  19. make sure you have a tow strap to attach to the vehicle to haul it on tothe trailer, its usually easier than chains
The following 3 users liked this post by Rescue Rogers:
amzg1 (04-05-2023), KS69Coupe (12-10-2021), Mako72 (01-17-2022)
Old 12-10-2021, 09:35 AM
KS69Coupe
Drifting

Received 213 Likes on 152 Posts

I have used U-Haul probably a dozen times with good luck. I have my own tow straps. It's a very good investment if you think you'll be hauling more than once.

Love Rogers post - great advice! Especially the "when things go sideways" part (because they will), dog leash, and fireflies. Made me smile.

The following 2 users liked this post by KS69Coupe:
69_Shark (12-10-2021), pltmgr (12-12-2021)
Old 12-10-2021, 10:31 AM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts

I have towed my hangar queen 69 across country twice. As well as a dozen 'lesser' cars all over the place. UHAUL trailers are excellent.
Car goes up and down easily. Very positive retention of the wheels. Good ride for the car. Well- designed piece of equipment.

Tips:
  • CHECK THE TIRES...IF LESS THAN PERFECT, FIND A DIFFERENT ONE! THEY DON'T GIVE YOU A SPARE!
  • CHECK THE TIE-DOWN STRAPS, IF THEY ARE CUT, FIND ANOTHER!
  • DO NOT TOW THE CAR WITH ANY TYPE OF COVER ON IT....THE FLAPPING WILL RUIN THE PAINT. (ONCE I TOWED THE CAR IN EPOXY PRIMER, WHEN I GOT TO MY DESTINATION THE PRIMER WAS DOWN TO THE GLASS!
  • MANY PEOPLE USE BLUE TAPE FOR PROTECTION...THIS IS A BIT TEDIOUS, BUT WORTH IT....REMOVE THE BLUE TAPE IMMEDIATELY!

GOOD LUCK!

The funniest thing about Uhauls is looking out the side view mirror and seeing the legend on the fender...DO NOT EXCEED 50 MPH!....heh-heh, they don't know me very well! (Pulled my Mk1 Scirocco back from Tucson at 90!)

Unkahal

The following 2 users liked this post by L-46man:
Jebbysan (12-10-2021), Pegan2261 (12-11-2021)
Old 12-10-2021, 10:51 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,893 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Went last year to pick up my old 82' Z/28 in Pennsylvania.......I used a U-Haul trailer and was 80-85MPH the whole way pretty much........3000 mile Covid trip.....
You could hardly tell it was back there.......
Tip: Check your straps at every stop! Make SURE the trailer brakes are operating........this makes a HUGE difference in confidence while driving.

Jebby
Old 12-10-2021, 10:57 AM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts

That was a million years ago....GAS was $1.89! lol

Be careful of tongue weight...adjust as necessary.

You're good to go!

Unk
Old 12-10-2021, 11:08 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,893 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Originally Posted by L-46man
That was a million years ago....GAS was $1.89! lol

Be careful of tongue weight...adjust as necessary.

You're good to go!

Unk
A big reason we decided to go…..it adds up for 3000 miles…..
Yes….there is a sweet spot for the tongue weight on just about any car trailer…..I was a little forward taking off front PA and moved it back a foot….makes all the difference at high speeds LOL!

Jebby
Old 12-10-2021, 11:11 AM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,068 Likes on 984 Posts

Lots of great advice here - the members of CF are super helpful. I own a couple of car haulers, a boat, and a large camping trailer. Been towing stuff for years, like many of the members here. I also rented a Uhaul open car trailer about 6 years ago to get a '72 roadster home that we bought on a road trip - and it worked great. Here are a couple of additional thoughts:
  • Check the date on the trailer tires, not just the amount of tread. Anything over 6-7 years old and I'd look for another one.
  • Know the combination weight of your trailer and the car. Then use a tongue weight scale (don't guess!!!!) to put 10-12% of the combined weight on the tongue. For example, if the combined weight of the trailer and car are 6,000 lbs, you want about 600-700 lbs of weight on the tongue. Tongue weight scales are not that expensive. Don't guess.
Have fun! Best, Paul
Old 12-10-2021, 11:27 AM
Gold Dragon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 172 Likes on 141 Posts

Just got off the phone with UHaul. One way 2300 miles = 600$. Not bad at all. Will be towing the Stingray with a 1968 Chevy C10. 350 with a 4 speed.
The following 2 users liked this post by Gold Dragon:
bluthundr (12-10-2021), Rescue Rogers (12-10-2021)
Old 12-10-2021, 12:54 PM
Pegan2261
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

The Uhaul trailer is the best do it yourself rental trailer out there. And not a lot to rent.

The only issue you may have is getting one.
Old 12-10-2021, 05:52 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Don't over think this, rent a U-Haul trailer. Easy button.
Pegan2261 (12-11-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To Towing a Corvette. What type of trailer?

Old 12-10-2021, 08:46 PM
ajchance
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

Just FYI, you can safely squeeze into and out of the car without lowering the uhaul fender (even at 6’5” 260#), but discovering the retractible fender at the beginning of the trip is far more preferable than after completing the trip 🤦🏻‍♂️

But the trailer was sound and safe. Good choice.
Pegan2261 (12-11-2021)
Old 12-11-2021, 05:11 PM
71 Vert LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 397 Likes on 301 Posts

In regards to the tow vehicle I believe you must have a frame mounted receiver hitch. I don't think Uhaul will allow a bumper hitch.
Get the insurance that covers the complete cost of the trailer in case something goes sideways.
I don't know where you are going to and from from but 2 wheel drive 68 C10 puling a car and trailer in any amount snow wouldn't be a lot of fun. No fun at all if you run into snow going over a pass. Long wheel base truck is better than a short wheel base truck.
When you get to the Uhaul rental place check out the trailers before you go in and pick out the best looking/new trailer. Write down the number of the trailer and give it to the rental person.
I've used a Uhaul trailer a number of times and it's always gone well.
Sounds like the trip is 4600 miles round trip. Have you done the math in regards to the trip cost or just hiring a shipping company?
Old 12-11-2021, 09:20 PM
How Are You
Drifting

Received 403 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
Uhaul trailer, tow vehicle has to be rated for the weight of the trailer and the vehicle on it. IF its under weight, you have to get stabilizers to keep the tow vehicles front wheels planted. ITs not the power of the tow vehicle its the rear spring capacity.... heres a few Helpful hints from past experience.
  1. Always drive the nose of the car onto a trailer if it is front engined to keep the weight on the tongue.
  2. With Uhaul make sure of the rates before you sign. They advertize $100 rentals for trailer but if its one way they triple the price. If you are traveling both ways, rent ithe trailer at home, tow it to the new car and tow it back, its cheaper
  3. Make sure all the straps to hold the front tires are there.
  4. The tool for tightening the ratchets is there.
  5. A pin to lock the tongue latch.
  6. both the ramps are in the trailer
  7. the lights work and the plug on the tow vehicle works before hand. Get a test plug that plugs into the vehicle, they are cheap
  8. when you get the car onto the trailer, the drivers side fender folds down so you can open the door and get out. Make sure it folds and make sure the pins for it are installed
  9. Make sure there is good tread on the trailer tires, there is noe slices or cuts on the side walls, and that they are full and not very old.
  10. Get insurance for when the tires blow on the trailer
  11. ask for a trailer spare
  12. make sure you have a jack that can lift the trailer with a car on it
  13. have a sense of humor for when things go sideways. If it doesnt kill you then make it into a story you can tell everyone and get a laugh or an OMG
  14. IF there is road construction do not drive in the lane that they under cut below the old paved road. IF the sidewalls hit that cut you will spend most of the night on the side of a freezing highway. Stay on the high side. IF there is a line of traffic behind you so be it, the construction wont last for ever
  15. If you have your dog and things go bad, put the leash on the dog before you get out of the vehicle and make sure he is tied in so if he decides to jump out the drivers door he doesnt end up in traffic. Dogs dont understand where they are until they are there.
  16. Always enjoy the fireflies when you can, lifes short. IF you dont have fireflies in your neck of the woods...take a trip this summer and find some...its like the northern lights....same thing, find some
  17. If your car doesnt run bring a winch to haul the vehicle up onto the trailer
  18. when the battery for the winch fails make sure you have a come-a-long
  19. make sure you have a tow strap to attach to the vehicle to haul it on tothe trailer, its usually easier than chains
Lots of info here!

Quick Reply: Towing a Corvette. What type of trailer?