Sponsored by:

weatherstipping

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2021, 03:14 PM
69small block
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default weatherstipping

does anyone know of a how to video on installing rear deck and door weatherstripping on a 1969 convertible or maybe some good pics of the process
Old 11-22-2021, 06:30 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 91 Posts

I just replaced my door weatherstrips. Attached each end first. From there I work my way around the door, gluing and applying tape across the strip every few inches to keep the strip in place, keep it from rolling over, until the glue dries. Take your time. Watch for twisting.
Old 11-22-2021, 07:09 PM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

There are a couple good general how-to videos, do a search ...been a while since I watched them.

The biggest mistake most people make is they apply the weatherstrip adhesive 'wet' and try to get it to adhere to the trunk/door. It squishes all over the place and doesn't seem to dry very well. The right way to do it is to apply adhesive to each surface in a thin manner, WAIT a period of a few minutes for each side to tack-up. THEN ...and only then (after each side has become tacky), do you bring the weatherstrip to the door/trunk/etc. It will quickly adhere and stay adhered. If the weatherstrip is tight-fitting, you may need to apply masking tape around corners to keep it from 'creeping' until the adhesive has set harder.
Old 11-23-2021, 10:06 AM
69small block
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for the info
Old 11-24-2021, 07:33 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,044 Likes on 809 Posts

Wipe the new weatherstripping down with solvent to remove the mould release still on the weatherstripping. Cleaning will allow the glue to stick. 3M black or yellow weatherstrip adhesive is a must. Yellow is closer to GM stuff but you might like black. They work the same.

Here is the best method I have found. The doors need to be done in 3 stages. The front and rear sections of the doors need to be glued without any tension or they will pull away before the glue sets. I like to start at the front vertical section and put glue on the rubber first. Then push the rubber in place along the front edge of the door, then pull it away. The glue needs to evaporate a minute or so then you carefully press it back in place. It should grab pretty tight at this point. Blue tape the weatherstrip to hold it in place along the vertical section you just finished.

Here is the trick - you want to be able to install the last (rear) portion of the weatherstripping so it has no tension just like you did the front section. To do that, you need to test fit the bottom run of weatherstripping under tension. Pull the bottom (straight) portion of weatherstrip just enough so the last section (that runs up the rear of the door ) could be installed later without tension. Mark the weatherstripping with blue tape at the rear bottom corner part of the door and a matching mark on the weatherstripping. Now glue up the bottom section of strip and put tension on it so the marks at the rear bottom corner line up. Glue the bottom section and push in place, then pull apart so the glue gets a chance to set up again for a minute. Stretch to tension the bottom run of weatherstrip and put it place matching up the marks you made. Hold it in place and secure it in place with blue tape pieces.

The last section can now be installed without tension. Just glue, pull apart for about a minute, and press back in place. Blue tape in place and add the screws.

Close the door and let it set overnight before carefully removing the blue tape.

Get notified of new replies

To weatherstipping

Quick Reply: weatherstipping