Sponsored by:

'nother clock thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2021, 04:45 PM
Elcransonator
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts
Default 'nother clock thread

So the PO has receipts showing clock was reworked within the last ten years. All of a sudden about six months back it just quit. I reset it a few times/nada. The second hand would turn for a few seconds then stop. I figured wtf and quit paying any attention to it. Fast fwd a couple months and I noticed it was ticking away. I reset it and it has been keeping PERFECT time for last several months. I mean dead nuts on/no adjustment required! I noticed today it needs to "fall back" one hour and I'm afraid to touch it. I could just wait six months and it'll be right again or I can "fix" it. Which way are you supposed to turn the hands, forward or backwards?
Old 11-12-2021, 05:15 PM
interpon
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,038 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Pretty sure it’s self adjusting..going through what you are…if you turn it back an hour it will tell it to slow down..but no biggie..couple tweaks as needed..mine takes a couple weeks of adjustments..

fyi
mine knock on wood still running after rr..same issues as yours..

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ck-repair.html

Old 11-12-2021, 05:27 PM
ajchance
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

Very interested in the self adjustment comment. I oiled mine and found the winding spring had come disconnected. Wasn’t sure exactly how it attached but made a stab at it and the clock has run great ever since but runs fast now. Takes on about an hour a week so I just set it right whenever I drive the car. Would love to know how to adjust though.
Old 11-12-2021, 07:50 PM
kansas123
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 280 Posts

Just by turning the time back is an adjustment: the clock will adjust itself to run slower. And the reverse is true for the clock that is running slow: by turning it forward, you are telling it to speed up. Not sure there is anything thing out there that says anything more specific than that. However, the more hours you reset it either way, the more it will adjust. So if you are losing an hour, adjust it for that the see in another week what you've got. Go from there. If you still lose an hour, you can turn the clock like maybe 4 hours forward, unhook the battery for 3 hours, then set the clock and see what it does after another week....
Old 11-12-2021, 08:12 PM
interpon
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,038 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by ajchance
Very interested in the self adjustment comment. I oiled mine and found the winding spring had come disconnected. Wasn’t sure exactly how it attached but made a stab at it and the clock has run great ever since but runs fast now. Takes on about an hour a week so I just set it right whenever I drive the car. Would love to know how to adjust though.
just as kansas123 says..
i think though try adjusting clock when out by at least 5 minutes instead of hour..i am pretty sure it’s the frequency over a few minutes adjustments . In other words in your case daily or semi daily adjust it or when at least 5 minutes out more frequently..it will adjust…

here it is in manual

Last edited by interpon; 11-12-2021 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-12-2021, 08:38 PM
ajchance
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

Much appreciated! Haven’t seen that in the manual. I’ll give it a whirl!
Old 11-12-2021, 11:46 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Reset the clock by moving the hands the LEAST amount to reach proper time (CW or CCW). Remember the time of day you made that adjustment (yes, it is important!).

The very next day, at the same time, make another adjustment for the error in the clock over the last 24 hours. Check it again the next day at the same time of day. If it is "close enough", leave it as-is. If you are still not satisfied, make a FINAL adjustment. The clock will then keep nearly perfect time....as long as power doesn't get interrupted.
The "secret" is that the adjustment mechanism in the Borg clock is calibrated for change over a 24 hour period. Pretty ingenious, I think. I learned this MANY years ago with my first C3. It worked well then...and it still works well. At least, until you swap it out for a quartz movement that ALWAYS keeps good time!

Get notified of new replies

To 'nother clock thread

Quick Reply: 'nother clock thread