Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best place to buy speedo cables?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2021, 09:48 PM
Leos 81
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best place to buy speedo cables?

Hey all. Has anyone purchased speedo cables from a popular Vette vendor or otherwise that fit perfectly? The last time I bought cables was from Zip many years ago, and when they arrived they were too long. In a pinch, I installed them anyway, but they never fit right. I'm looking to finally revisit this project many years later and install a new transducer and figured I'd install properly fitting cables while I'm at it. Any advice with experience knowing certain cables fit correctly? If your good experience is with an AutoZone or similar, even better. If you've had a bad experience with cables from somewhere, please let me know.

Also, does anyone with a late C3 know the correct length of the speedo cables with cruise control? Now that I have the wrong length installed, I'd hate to just guess.
Old 10-22-2021, 11:03 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Measure the cable that is faulty and find out the actual length of new cable from the vendor, if it is not given in the sales ad. You need a cable of at least the same length as the original part (GM did not install items with MORE length than what was required) but no more than about 6" longer than the original.
I suspect there is only one manufacturer for these cables, so price and length are the only reasons to shop around for a new one.
P.S. The longer the speedo cable, the higher the probability that the speedometer needle will have some 'bounce' in it.
Old 10-22-2021, 11:54 AM
Leos 81
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
P.S. The longer the speedo cable, the higher the probability that the speedometer needle will have some 'bounce' in it.
This is the exact reason I want to replace the ones I installed a few years ago with ones that are the proper length. There's way too much bounce of the speedo needle. Every time I drive the car, I'm reminded about the speedo cable being too long. Very aggravating. Wish I could drive it just once without thinking about the effing speedo cable. Thanks for your reply.
Old 10-22-2021, 04:52 PM
ntfday
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

This will work

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28443454372...MAAOSwJnthL885
Old 10-22-2021, 11:27 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

That is only the internal cable. Usually when the cable goes bad, the sheath is a significant part of the problem, so both will need replacement.
Old 10-22-2021, 11:34 PM
Eliredandblack
Drifting

Received 435 Likes on 364 Posts

I have seen NOS listed cables on eBay. Like any tease in life, sometimes you have to pay more for what you want, used a speedo and tach cable from CA. Look on the Willcox site for instructions on where and how to apply the Correct Lubricant to the inner cable. I check with my Corvette Service Shop, and they always add lubricant to the new cables before installation.
Old 10-22-2021, 11:38 PM
Lowend
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Corvette Clinic in San Jose. I worked there 20 years ago and the (still) owner had worked out all of the correct cables for each model year
https://www.corvetteclinicparts.com/
Old 10-23-2021, 10:42 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,335 Likes on 967 Posts

I have had success with Deluxe Speedometer and Cable in Denver, CO. They make everything in house. No offshore garbage. The prices and service were great. Jerry
Old 10-24-2021, 08:46 AM
midigike
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I just did the speedo cable in my 1968, it’s a two piece and installed perfect. Was purchased from ZIP.
the only issue is it’s noisy now and after a whole tube of cable grease, still noisy. Plastic ends where the originals where metal.
I will have to pull it all out again and redo it I guess.
it doesn’t matter who you order from really. The cable seems to be made by the same manufacturer that the suppliers all sell.

Get notified of new replies

To Best place to buy speedo cables?

Quick Reply: Best place to buy speedo cables?