Sponsored by:

less cursing, dag nabbit !

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 10:34 AM
ebbnflow
Pro

Received 156 Likes on 133 Posts
Default less cursing, dag nabbit !

Seems there's more & more blatant cursing in both C3 general & C3 tech; most of it by a few regulars. I know just about anything goes in OT P & R; is that where C3 is destined ?
The following 5 users liked this post by ebbnflow:
'75 (10-03-2021), Black & Tan (10-04-2021), Greg (10-03-2021), oldgto (10-03-2021), wadenelson (10-04-2021)

Popular Reply

10-03-2021, 06:34 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,209 Likes on 2,761 Posts

A DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE:

I WOULD like it if my grandson and grand daughter could read G/PG-rated threads in the C3 Tech and C3 General Forums while we work together on my/his/her Vette. You Gals and Guys have lots of knowledge to share!

NOT staged....she wanted to help...so she is installing shorty headers on my '34 truck street rod engine

( I torqued down the bolts later)
Old 10-03-2021, 06:34 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

A DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE:

I WOULD like it if my grandson and grand daughter could read G/PG-rated threads in the C3 Tech and C3 General Forums while we work together on my/his/her Vette. You Gals and Guys have lots of knowledge to share!

NOT staged....she wanted to help...so she is installing shorty headers on my '34 truck street rod engine

( I torqued down the bolts later)
The following 11 users liked this post by doorgunner:
'75 (10-03-2021), 67:72 (10-03-2021), 69_Shark (10-03-2021), bluthundr (10-03-2021), C3 Stroker (10-04-2021), ebbnflow (10-05-2021), loup68 (10-03-2021), oldgto (10-03-2021), ramsdan73 (10-05-2021), Rescue Rogers (10-03-2021), wadenelson (10-04-2021) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-03-2021, 07:41 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by ebbnflow
Seems there's more & more blatant cursing in both C3 general & C3 tech; most of it by a few regulars. I know just about anything goes in OT P & R; is that where C3 is destined ?
I hope not! My kids have always been a very big part of our old car building, and I`ve referred my youngest son to the advice I`ve read here MANY times. I`d like to think it`s still a "family show". I still smile when I recall one member who used to proclaim.... "Cheese & Rice!" when he wanted to exclamate something. There are more eloquent ways to be heard.

Last edited by oldgto; 10-03-2021 at 07:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ebbnflow (10-05-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 08:14 PM
427SIXPACK
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 455 Likes on 270 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I use....................... "BULLSHITOWSKY"

Frequently
Old 10-03-2021, 08:14 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,672 Likes on 1,350 Posts

I haven't seen it too much here but what I think really is disappointing to see pro athletes swear on TV. You never saw that with the older generations playing sports. Sure they got mad and said what they thought in private but they were professional enough to keep it clean on TV when kids would be watching and influenced.
Shows just how far things have faded away in our society, and this isn't even going to schools or politics. I just stay with tech questions.

Last edited by GTR1999; 10-03-2021 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-03-2021, 08:22 PM
427SIXPACK
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GTR1999
I haven't seen it too much here but what I think really is disappointing to see pro athletes swear on TV. You never saw that with the older generations playing sports. Sure they got mad and said what they thought in private but they were professional enough to keep it clean on TV when kids would be watching and influenced.
Shows just how far things have faded away in our society, and this isn't even going to schools or politics. I just stay with tech questions.
PAST: Gentleman

PRESENT: Low life street thugs, with No Class, No Manners & NO RESPECT !!!
Old 10-03-2021, 09:50 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-vettes View Post
Well, ya know, I guess I have been guilty of using a few what I would think of as "Low level" swear words. But I do avoid the "Heavy" swear words if that makes any sense.
Truth is, for most of us this language is part of everyday life. If your children have never heard any of these words before, I commend you for your ability to protect your kids from the world.
Not that I would do the same.
Actually I don't protect them from the World. They hear and see profanity every day .
It's more to do with them gaining knowledge from threads the CF provides. That's why I included a couple pics of my grand daughter actually helping/learning the right way from CF members.

Maybe she and my grandson can have my Vette ready for the High School Graduation.....and they can read how it all happen through your threads which taught me how to work on a Corvette........

loup68 (10-06-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 11:10 AM
Kevin68
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Guilty. Never really considered that children may be watching. I will be more respectful moving forward.
Hopper12 (10-08-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 08:24 AM
Edward Ackley
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

as a young lad i learned how to cuss from grown ups, I also learned real fast the taste of a soap bar
oldgto (10-06-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 09:04 AM
Old Man in a C
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 133 Posts

Really? Is pussication a swear word?
Old 10-05-2021, 11:00 AM
ebbnflow
Pro

Received 156 Likes on 133 Posts

JMO
It's not only about children and their forming characters; it's also about plain common decency and manners. I was a sailor in an earlier life; thus, I have been and can be quite profane and / or vulgar. But then I got a university education. Through that, I learned to appreciate (even admire) and then practice everyday speech-communication without coarse language. I aspire to "grace under fire" in any situation; I haven't achieved said grace, but I'm a work in progress.

In those extreme examples, no matter how much knowledge a verbally-offensive speaker/writer may profess to have, I can't begin to respect him/her when their sentences are riddled with locker room (or berthing quarters) cursing / obscenities and braggadocio; much less wish to follow them. They may be a' "big fish in a small pond" but soon take on the mantle of NPD. Their sycophants only exacerbate that coarse behavior.
YMMV
Old 10-05-2021, 08:24 PM
427SIXPACK
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ebbnflow
JMO
It's not only about children and their forming characters; it's also about plain common decency and manners. I was a sailor in an earlier life; thus, I have been and can be quite profane and / or vulgar. But then I got a university education. Through that, I learned to appreciate (even admire) and then practice everyday speech-communication without coarse language. I aspire to "grace under fire" in any situation; I haven't achieved said grace, but I'm a work in progress.

In those extreme examples, no matter how much knowledge a verbally-offensive speaker/writer may profess to have, I can't begin to respect him/her when their sentences are riddled with locker room (or berthing quarters) cursing / obscenities and braggadocio; much less wish to follow them. They may be a' "big fish in a small pond" but soon take on the mantle of NPD. Their sycophants only exacerbate that coarse behavior.
YMMV

Damn Ebbnflow.................. that was a mouthful !!!
Old 10-06-2021, 12:14 PM
Stroh
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 152 Posts

I typically swear like a trucker/sailor or however you'd like to complete the simile.... but I try not to do so in front of kids. As a high school English teacher and college instructor, i have had many chances to do so and occasionally a desire to do so, but I tend to avoid it. Not because my extensive vocabulary gives me myriad alternatives, but out of consideration of audience. In truth, the F-bomb is among my favorite words. It's so versatile. It can be a noun, a verb, a bridge between thoughts, etc.and though I tend to resist the oversensatized politically correct language trends- so popular in today's culture, I understand that common decency and respect preclude bouncing profanity all over any forum. Now if my buddies and I are talking about fish-eyes in new paint in the garage the F-bombs will fly, but not in threads that may be here for posterity -- kids or otherwise. Apologies in advance if a slip up, but it'll never be intended.
Old 10-06-2021, 01:40 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroh
A... I typically swear like a trucker/sailor or however you'd like to complete the simile....
B... if my buddies and I are talking about fish-eyes in new paint in the garage the F-bombs will fly,
A... My mother-in-law could make a steel worker blush!
B... Fish eyes and that blasted orange peel!
Old 10-06-2021, 02:04 PM
Cmurray79
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 70 Posts

As a 21 year old who grew up with the internet, if the kids arnt gonna see it here, theyll see it somewhere else. My parents never really had a conversation with me about what the internet was like, I just explored it on my ipod way back in 2012. I saw a lot that I probably shouldnt have, and if my parents saw what I saw at that age, they probably wouldve removed the wifi lol. Unfortunately the internet is the internet, and anonymity causes people to act more bold/vulgar/rude than they would to someone face to face. I grew to learn this as I grazed the web on a pretty much daily basis. I think almost all children will learn too. In my opinion the cursing here doesnt matter, and wont ruin anyones life. But I respect those who chose to act with dignity and respect, because unfortunately you are the outliers. Good outliers.
Old 10-06-2021, 02:15 PM
Tranz Zam
Burning Brakes

Received 732 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Cmurray79
As a 21 year old who grew up with the internet, if the kids arnt gonna see it here, theyll see it somewhere else. My parents never really had a conversation with me about what the internet was like, I just explored it on my ipod way back in 2012. I saw a lot that I probably shouldnt have, and if my parents saw what I saw at that age, they probably wouldve removed the wifi lol. Unfortunately the internet is the internet, and anonymity causes people to act more bold/vulgar/rude than they would to someone face to face. I grew to learn this as I grazed the web on a pretty much daily basis. I think almost all children will learn too. In my opinion the cursing here doesnt matter, and wont ruin anyones life. But I respect those who chose to act with dignity and respect, because unfortunately you are the outliers. Good outliers.
Same here. Grew up exploring the internet on my own. Certainly found stuff I wish I didnt. lol

Swearing is whatever to me. The stuff you'll see and hear in the world today makes swearing look like nothing.
Old 10-06-2021, 07:19 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 430 Likes on 308 Posts

I don't think I've dropped any profanity here on the forum, but if I have, I apologize. Now, on the other hand, if you're in the garage with me while I work on a car, all bets are off. There's many times I'll walk away from something, knowing I need to come back to it tomorrow. I do realize i look ridiculous going off on a profanity laced tirade when something doesn't go together like it should, and I honestly try to do better. Maybe one day!
Old 10-07-2021, 08:50 AM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 527 Likes on 356 Posts

20 years active duty sailor has "slightly" colored my language.

ebbnflow (10-07-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To less cursing, dag nabbit !

Quick Reply: less cursing, dag nabbit !