Sponsored by:

LT's '81 4 Speed

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 01:10 PM
Last Triumph
Drifting

Received 351 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by vettebuyer6369
Beautiful, beautiful car! Great choice, great decision. Your patience and perseverance were rewarded!

Enjoy that new beauty!
Thank you - your help, advice and support along the journey is very much appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
vettebuyer6369 (06-08-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 01:21 PM
Last Triumph
Drifting

Originally Posted by shoptek
MONSTER IS A BEAUTIFUL CAR!!
I'm so happy that it ended up in the right hands in the UK.

As I understand it, you won't require a MOT, but how stringent is the MOT or vehicles where it is required? I know some states here in the US are very strict, and other states, like Florida where I live, do not have any vehicle inspection or emission tests at all.

Also, a question---Do your UK front and rear license plates stay with the vehicle when you sell them, or do they remain with the prior owner?

BEST OF LUCK!
Thanks!

Any car over 40 years old is exempt from the UK MOT test (a tiny percentage of the cars on the UK roads), however that does not absolve the owner/driver from any responsibility to ensure the vehicle is in a roadworthy state.

Monster just about scrapes into the exempt status.

Our MOT covers all the safety items - lights, brakes, suspension, corrosion, wipers, washers, seat belts, bushings, leaks etc, etc, so whilst not necessarily an indication of good condition, it at least serves as a rough guide to safety elements at the point it was tested. Depending on the year, different emissions standards apply, ranging from a visual smoke test only for pre '76 cars, to more stringent tests for '92 and new cat equipped cars.

So whilst I don't need to have the car put through the test, I must ensure the tires, brakes, lights, number plates etc all are in a safe and roadworthy condition - almost like a self-assessment. Claiming ignorance is not an excuse for driving an unsafe car that does not meet the construction and use regulations etc.

As for number plates, UK cars are registered from new with a number plate which for cars newer than 1963, have an age related suffix, prefix or internal letter/number system to identify the car's age and these stay with the car always, unless the owner wishes to purchase and display a private number plate which I believe in the USA you call vanity plates? Even so, if these are later removed and the car sold, it would revert back to the originally issued number.

In my example with the '81, it will receive a 7 digit number with a 'W'' suffix to show it is a 1981 car.

Here is a better explanation of the UK vehicle registration number system....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicl...United_Kingdom
Old 06-08-2021, 01:31 PM
shoptek
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Last Triumph
Thanks!

Any car over 40 years old is exempt from the UK MOT test (a tiny percentage of the cars on the UK roads), however that does not absolve the owner/driver from any responsibility to ensure the vehicle is in a roadworthy state.

Monster just about scrapes into the exempt status.

Our MOT covers all the safety items - lights, brakes, suspension, corrosion, wipers, washers, seat belts, bushings, leaks etc, etc, so whilst not necessarily an indication of good condition, it at least serves as a rough guide to safety elements at the point it was tested. Depending on the year, different emissions standards apply, ranging from a visual smoke test only for pre '76 cars, to more stringent tests for '92 and new cat equipped cars.

So whilst I don't need to have the car put through the test, I must ensure the tires, brakes, lights, number plates etc all are in a safe and roadworthy condition - almost like a self-assessment. Claiming ignorance is not an excuse for driving an unsafe car that does not meet the construction and use regulations etc.

As for number plates, UK cars are registered from new with a number plate which for cars newer than 1963, have an age related suffix, prefix or internal letter/number system to identify the car's age and these stay with the car always, unless the owner wishes to purchase and display a private number plate which I believe in the USA you call vanity plates? Even so, if these are later removed and the car sold, it would revert back to the originally issued number.

In my example with the '81, it will receive a 7 digit number with a 'W'' suffix to show it is a 1981 car.

Here is a better explanation of the UK vehicle registration number system....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicl...United_Kingdom
THANK YOU LT!!
Very interesting system.
Old 06-08-2021, 01:49 PM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

Nice car.

Now you can do what a lot of guys do after they 'hunt down' a finally find that one nice rare original C3:
1) Rip out the computer & engine and put in an LS with a tall intake or a blower through the hood
2) Rip out the rear suspension and replace with a ford 9" or something else
3) Rip out the steering and put in a rack
4) Replace the interior with a custom interior and **** carpet on the dash
5) Ditch the wheels for some gawdy aftermarket 22-inchers

what else am I missing here .....
6) A thumping stereo with the biggest speakers that'll fit in the rear, esp if they look really out of place
7) Lambo doors
8) Hydraulic shocks so it can 'hop'
9) Wide-body kit
10) Tall spoiler at the rear

ha ha ...well that's a pretty good list for now.
Old 06-08-2021, 01:52 PM
Last Triumph
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mark G
Nice car.

Now you can do what a lot of guys do after they 'hunt down' a finally find that one nice rare original C3:
1) Rip out the computer & engine and put in an LS with a tall intake or a blower through the hood
2) Rip out the rear suspension and replace with a ford 9" or something else
3) Rip out the steering and put in a rack
4) Replace the interior with a custom interior and **** carpet on the dash
5) Ditch the wheels for some gawdy aftermarket 22-inchers

what else am I missing here .....
6) A thumping stereo with the biggest speakers that'll fit in the rear, esp if they look really out of place
7) Lambo doors
8) Hydraulic shocks so it can 'hop'
9) Wide-body kit
10) Tall spoiler at the rear

ha ha ...well that's a pretty good list for now.
Or leave it bone stock and sympathetically / cosmetically cherish it
The following 2 users liked this post by Last Triumph:
71 Green 454 (06-09-2021), Mark G (06-08-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 09:54 PM
BrianOz
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Hey LT, were you not allowed to drive the car home from the port yourself or was it just a personal decision to have it transported?

Here in the nanny state of Victoria in Oz, we can get a permit that allows a single trip in an unregistered vehicle for such purposes.

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by BrianOz; 06-08-2021 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-09-2021, 03:51 AM
Last Triumph
Drifting

Originally Posted by BrianOz
Hey LT, were you not allowed to drive the car home from the port yourself or was it just a personal decision to have it transported?

Here in the nanny state of Victoria in Oz, we can get a permit that allows a single trip in an unregistered vehicle for such purposes.

Cheers,
Brian
No Brian, it is against the law in the UK to drive an unregistered vehicle on public roads.

Old 06-09-2021, 12:16 PM
KingRat
Drifting

Received 868 Likes on 422 Posts

Congratulations. I too have a soft spot for the '80-'82 body style and a black 4-speed car is a great choice.
Old 06-12-2021, 06:52 AM
Last Triumph
Drifting

Originally Posted by KingRat
Congratulations. I too have a soft spot for the '80-'82 body style and a black 4-speed car is a great choice.
Thanks!

In other news..... and wait for it......

The clock still works!

I thought this was materially significant enough to share with the community.
The following 2 users liked this post by Last Triumph:
71 Green 454 (06-12-2021), interpon (06-12-2021)

Quick Reply: LT's '81 4 Speed