C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Original Ontario Orange Color or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 07:28 PM
leigh1322
Old Pro Solo Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,502 Likes on 1,602 Posts
Default Original Ontario Orange Color or something else?

I have a 72 BB (it is a NOM) that is way too far removed to ever be NCRS "original" or "numbers matching" again.
I am giving it a full body off restoration. It needs it and I enjoy that. My plan is to build it as a 5spd & LS6 combo and drive it.

However I am still on the fence about the original Ontario Orange color and Dark Saddle Brown Leather interior combination.

It was the single most popular color in 72. In fact it was the Poster Car & Brochure Cover car color.
But I hardly ever see one today. Why is that?
Mine and many others have been repainted to red or something else.
So what do you guys think about the color combo?
Should I go back to it?
Is it cool enough to keep?
Old 04-10-2021, 08:18 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,704 Likes on 1,421 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Orange

Originally Posted by leigh1322
I have a 72 BB (it is a NOM) that is way too far removed to ever be NCRS "original" or "numbers matching" again.
I am giving it a full body off restoration. It needs it and I enjoy that. My plan is to build it as a 5spd & LS6 combo and drive it.

However I am still on the fence about the original Ontario Orange color and Dark Saddle Brown Leather interior combination.

It was the single most popular color in 72. In fact it was the Poster Car & Brochure Cover car color.
But I hardly ever see one today. Why is that?
Mine and many others have been repainted to red or something else.
Should I go back to it?
Leigh,

I vote for the original color.....Ontario orange, with dark saddle interior. My 77 is a one year only Code 66 Orange, and at first I was thinking of changing colors to black, but I am glad I stuck with it. Its a great color, that changes with different sun angles, and really stands out as different. Nobody misses it when it goes down the street!! I like the Ontario orange color for your model year, its a little less "bright" than my Code 66 Orange. And I think the dark brown interior is very classy match for the Ontario Orange. Bonus is that its the original color, although that would NOT be the reason I would paint it original if it was not a color I liked. In your case, its a win win. The world has enough red Corvettes. Black is my all time favorite, and what I will be painting the 69......even though the original color on my 69 was Fathom Green, which is also a sweet color.??? I will be making my final decision by looking at cars/colors at Carlisle.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 04-10-2021 at 08:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ogr8frogy (04-10-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 09:52 PM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,836 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Agreed.
In an ocean of Red, Blue and Black Corvettes, it's nice to have something a little different. Ontario Orange has the dual bonus of being a great period correct color as well as standing the test of time.
Great color!
Old 04-10-2021, 10:16 PM
leigh1322
Old Pro Solo Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

I value your opinions. As I I have never seen an actual Ontario Orange and Saddle car in the flesh.
I did however have a Daytona Yellow 70 Z28. It took me a long time to repaint it that original color, but I did grow to love it.

It needs some fiberglass work and several panels need re-painted at the least anyway.. The interior needs a lot of help no matter which way I go.

Last edited by leigh1322; 04-10-2021 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:25 PM
Ogr8frogy
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Keep the original color as it helps with the curves of the car,
Someday I will repaint my 69 also, it is also fathom green which seams like a popular color in 69.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:02 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,044 Likes on 809 Posts

Nice color.

The following 2 users liked this post by stingr69:
Mike’s70 (04-11-2021), sonnystingray (04-14-2021)
Old 04-11-2021, 08:16 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

As much as I LOVE my Steel Cities Gray with black vinyl.......
in your case, I`d definately go with the Ontario & Saddle!
What a classic looking gal she`ll be at your local "Show & Shine"!
Old 04-11-2021, 08:29 AM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,704 Likes on 1,421 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

One thing that I find disappointing in original interiors, and maybe even new reproduction parts, is the multiple mismatches in colors. Its not really applicable to black interiors, as black is pretty much black. But my light saddle interior on the 77 originally was multiple shades of saddle....the seats did not match the dash which did not match the door panels. I could not be satisfied with that. I dyed the dash black, bought new black door panels and new leather black seat covers. The dye has held up well over the 16,000 miles / four years of driving.

So, if you go with the original dark saddle, it may not match, i.e. seats to door panels to dash. The different materials of vinyl, plastic or leather must create problems. So,......what I would do it buy the stuff, and if it does not match, I would re-dye the doors or dash to match......and hope the seats are close. I can live with seats being slightly different.

On the 69, I really like the idea of red interior on black exterior paint.....but again.....all the reds need to match, which may be the challenge. Black interior on black paint is very nice as well.....no mismatch on interior.??

Just food for thought.
Old 04-11-2021, 09:40 AM
JMH
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

Whatever color you choose just make sure it's something you absolutely LOVE on your car. I have a 74 Challenger that my sister bought new. I've had it since '77 . Originally red with black vinyl top and black interior.
In 95 I got this brilliant idea. Fresh 440 and change color to Plumb Crazy. Liked it for a couple months Been trying to find the time to redo it back to red. Hope to do it before I croak. Just don't make the same mistake I did

John
Old 04-11-2021, 09:52 AM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

Received 601 Likes on 317 Posts

My first Corvette was an Ontario orange '72, 350/4 speed coupe with black interior. Sure wish I still had that one!

I like the orange and black combo but not sure about your brown interior. I think the brown would match better with a darker color exterior. If was to repaint I'd go with a green metallic exterior with your brown interior. I had this '73 and really loved the color.

Old 04-11-2021, 10:05 AM
leigh1322
Old Pro Solo Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Flyboy1958
One thing that I find disappointing in original interiors, and maybe even new reproduction parts, is the multiple mismatches in colors. Its not really applicable to black interiors, as black is pretty much black. But my light saddle interior on the 77 originally was multiple shades of saddle....the seats did not match the dash which did not match the door panels. I could not be satisfied with that. I dyed the dash black, bought new black door panels and new leather black seat covers. The dye has held up well over the 16,000 miles / four years of driving.

So, if you go with the original dark saddle, it may not match, i.e. seats to door panels to dash. The different materials of vinyl, plastic or leather must create problems. So,......what I would do it buy the stuff, and if it does not match, I would re-dye the doors or dash to match......and hope the seats are close. I can live with seats being slightly different.

On the 69, I really like the idea of red interior on black exterior paint.....but again.....all the reds need to match, which may be the challenge. Black interior on black paint is very nice as well.....no mismatch on interior.??

Just food for thought.
Agreed. The saddle interiors seem to fade to 6 different shades! I would definately dye it. I have only seen 1 or 2 where the entire saddle interior is one shade and it looked MUCH better.

One problem I realized after a while is in 72 there were two saddles! The std. Vinyl interior was a medium saddle and the Leather was a dark saddle. !!!

Regardless my original and saddle interior panels had been spray painted (not dyed) black many years ago. And it was peeling horribly. Just finished glass beading it all off yesterday. WHAT a job! But at least the panels are in very good condition. But they really need a dye job now!

Thanks for the kind feedback on the color combo. I DO think it is a very PERIOD correct color. It is definately different. I like the "Classy" remark too.

I can see that being my "theme" for the car. A fully optioned, very powerful, classy, luxurious sports/GT car. Leather, PW AC 5 spd. Does everything from 12 sec drags to hwy touring to autocross to road racing almost as-is. How does that sound? The color even goes with the theme. (As long as all the saddle parts match) The factory should really have offered the 485HP BB with AC and 5 spd! They did not but I will. LOL

Bridgehampton Green would also go great with this interior color very well. Another cool period correct combo.

Last edited by leigh1322; 04-11-2021 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:42 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Steel Cities Gray with Saddle is very good looking too but you will need to look hard to find one. Hansom is a word for it. Definately a show stopper. It was a GM recomended combination.

Last edited by stingr69; 04-11-2021 at 10:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mike’s70 (04-11-2021)
Old 04-11-2021, 11:20 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

I agree about keeping the Ontario Orange exterior. BUT I think you should make it a FireMist paint (extra cost option) which is even more spectacular in good lighting conditions (especially in sunlight). Also, I would not do the DARK saddle interior. Dark leather was big in that era (Earth colors, you know), but not so great today. Go with LIGHT saddle interior instead. It will be one classy looking ride!

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...9ed1ca9729.jpg
Old 04-11-2021, 07:16 PM
DWinTX
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Default I vote for OO!

Had a 72 Ontario Orange convertible back in the early 80's. Painted it blue and pretty quickly regretted it. Didn't like the Marlboro Maroon, which was my current project's original color, so I went back:

The following 2 users liked this post by DWinTX:
JeffWhite73 (04-29-2021), Mike’s70 (04-11-2021)
Old 04-11-2021, 09:17 PM
leigh1322
Old Pro Solo Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

7T1vette: That is one sharp paint job!
Does the Firemist have any different look to it than metallic?
Are we still able to get it today?
Old 04-11-2021, 10:30 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

My suggestion would be to call a Sherwin-Williams [auto body paint] supply store and see what they can do. You might also reach out to NCRS and find out if someone can supply the exact formula mix for the FireMist OO paint. The FireMist paints were first used by Cadillac Division in the mid 1950's, I believe. The difference is some additional fine metallic content and (if I am not mistaken) it has a bit of pearl mixed in with it. It produces a softer, glowing color....rather than an 'in your face' metallic.

If you are able to come up with a good match with modern paints, you will be very pleased with the look. Oh, I want to double-down on my suggestions for lighter brown leather interior. The darker brown color will tend to 'dampen' the whole look of the car, IMO.
Old 04-11-2021, 11:38 PM
general ike
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 452 Posts
2017 C3 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '20- '21

Well I guess I am biased......

At first I was not even going to see the car after all it is Orange!!! Well I am so glad I did. The firemist adds a glow to the car and it makes it look different in different lights. Also you must remember the time frame these cars were made in. 1972 was a groovy year and so why not orange.

I have also started to see modern cars painted in a similar color. I think some of these shades are making a comeback! Ike

Last edited by general ike; 04-11-2021 at 11:40 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by general ike:
JeffWhite73 (04-29-2021), leigh1322 (04-12-2021), Mike’s70 (04-11-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To Original Ontario Orange Color or something else?

Old 04-12-2021, 07:33 PM
DWinTX
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

7T1vette: That is one sharp paint job!
Does the Firemist have any different look to it than metallic?
Are we still able to get it today?
Yes, it is a finer metallic I think. And it does sort of change color with the light. I had to look around to find it. Finally found that a local jobber could mix it using Axalta Chromobase basecoat.

Last edited by DWinTX; 04-12-2021 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:55 PM
seacliffe301
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Should I go back to it?
The question should be, do YOU like the color combo. Personally, it's my 2nd favorite color to Steel Cities Gray (which I am fortunate to have).
Saddle interior with that paint color also gets a nod in my book. The fact that most of those cars have been repainted something else raises the "cool" factor substantially. I also like the Firemist suggestion. It's in my Steel Cities and it's magic in certain lighting scenarios.

Last edited by seacliffe301; 04-12-2021 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:43 PM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Steel Cities Gray is sexy

The following 2 users liked this post by stingr69:
seacliffe301 (04-12-2021), sonnystingray (04-14-2021)

Quick Reply: Original Ontario Orange Color or something else?