Sponsored by:

The Lost Corvettes Raffle

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 11:00 AM
Stroh
Drifting

Received 270 Likes on 153 Posts

Default The Lost Corvettes Raffle

Some of you may be following this already, but the Peter Max / VH1 Corvettes (one car from each year 1953-1989) were purchased and restored and are now being raffled off. They gave away the first 10 last year, complete with the winners list and photos/video of the Times Square delivery to the winners. The remaining 26 cars have pictures at various points in the restoration process, and the official site and Facebook page all look to be legit (as much as can be, I suppose).

https://www.thelostcorvettes.com/

The second draw was supposed to be "on or about" March 31st. It's now more than a week after that date and there has been absolutely no news of a drawing or of the winners.- What are we to make of this? There's been no announcement of a delay, or of any kind for that matter. Does anybody know anything about this second draw or anything further about the drawing? I'm more curious than anything else, but I'd also like to know I didn't throw away a few bucks on a raffle that has just up and disappeared.
Old 04-08-2021, 11:41 AM
Jd21476
Drifting

Received 292 Likes on 172 Posts

They have been dragging this out for a while. I believe the original drawings were supposed to happen last year but then COVID hit and they pushed it to 2021. I believe they are trying to wring every ounce of publicity out of this that they can.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:21 PM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 464 Likes on 230 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19-'20-'21-'22

"the lucky winners will be announced the week of April 12, 2021"
Old 04-08-2021, 01:56 PM
Stroh
Drifting

Originally Posted by fastimes
"the lucky winners will be announced the week of April 12, 2021"
Where'd ya find that? I've been looking. Thanks, by the way.
Old 04-08-2021, 02:01 PM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 464 Likes on 230 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by Stroh
Where'd ya find that? I've been looking. Thanks, by the way.
They have the entry deadline and announcement dates under each car's listing

Last edited by fastimes; 04-08-2021 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-08-2021, 02:34 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Ditto here too and watching and waiting for "the" call. Bought some tickets as I concluded it was for a great cause.

I believe the reason for the delays is simply because "It takes many, many times longer to restore a Corvette than anybody can possibly believe when they start, LOL's!"
The following users liked this post:
Stroh (04-09-2021)
Old 04-08-2021, 03:02 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 768 Likes on 536 Posts

I watched the few shows they had on this on the tube about these Vettes and their restoration. By the way the shop that is restoring them functions I don't think I'd let them within 10 feet of my Vette. My wife did buy me a few tickets but I never win anything so I guess her money is going for a good cause.
Old 04-08-2021, 03:08 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts

Restored is a loaded word!

Instead of 'restored' they should just be honest and say 'slapped together to low standards for publicity purposes'.

Great If you win one....the restoration process begins in your driveway.
Old 04-08-2021, 03:13 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 768 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by L-46man
Restored is a loaded word!

Instead of 'restored' they should just be honest and say 'slapped together to low standards for publicity purposes'.

Great If you win one....the restoration process begins in your driveway.
Exactly what I was thinking watching those shows. When I hear restored I want every nut and bolt gone through. Like you said all they did was fix stuff as if a frame on or modified good #'s matching examples to pull off a tribute or some other theme. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to win one but I think I'd sell it soon after and pour that money into my current Vette.
Old 04-08-2021, 05:58 PM
HPRifleman
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

If that's true about the "restoration" that's too bad.

I remember that VH-1 contest when I was in college. I was floored by the scope of it and wondered where the winner would put all those cars. The helicopter shot of the cars lined up in the desert from the contest commercial really gave you an idea of the storage problem. That would be so cool to have a collection like that even if wildly impractical.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:20 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts

If the cars had been properly cared for the value of the collection would have doubled/ tripled.

Two caretakers of the collection, treated them like shizzle....almost all the degradation was from improper storage and ever notice, NOT ONE WAS EVER EVEN COVERED.

Damn crappy waste of good horseflesh!

(This is why as a restorer of C-3's for 45 years, I throw up in my throat every time I hear or see the word 'Barnfind'.....this means "you should have bought a proper car in the first place, 'coz you're going to pay through the nose.") L-88's excepted.

Unkahal
Old 04-08-2021, 06:28 PM
interpon
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,041 Likes on 1,563 Posts

Or at least roll the windows up? I wish they would show the ‘restoration’ like they used to.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:51 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Originally Posted by HPRifleman
If that's true about the "restoration" that's too bad.

I remember that VH-1 contest when I was in college. I was floored by the scope of it and wondered where the winner would put all those cars. The helicopter shot of the cars lined up in the desert from the contest commercial really gave you an idea of the storage problem. That would be so cool to have a collection like that even if wildly impractical.
My future wife and I were on a vacation in Myrtle Beach, SC, when the contest was announced. We happened to be in the condo, having lunch, and had MTV tuned in, when they first started showing commercials providing all the details about the contest. I forget what, exactly, you had to do, to enter, but whatever it was, and how many entries you could send in, we did, as soon as we got home. Obviously, we didn't win, but we got married the following summer, 1990, and we're still happily together.....
Old 04-09-2021, 09:53 AM
Stroh
Drifting

The Lost Corvettes / Corvette Heroes has been an incredible story... not just for car guys. The visual of the neglected cars is overwhelming. The pictures online of the restorations are impressive.

While I haven't seen any of the episodes of the "restorations," and while I'm confident most of our standards are higher than those of the restorers, it still sure would be cool to win one of these slices of history. Any of them. Particularly any of the 72 and older would be a dream come true. I think anything newer than that would be sold if one, at least for me anyway. Maybe I'd hang on to the 89 since it's "brand new" as that was the year of the original VH1 giveaway. I'd probably keep any of the C3's, at least until I'm finished with my 70 -- if we're ever really finished. Anyway... it's fun to think about. And I'm relieved that somewhere on that site there is actually a second drawing date and that they didn't just vanish with the raised funds.

It's hard not to be a bit suspicious in this world, especially with all the Dream Garage giveaways and other similar raffles. I hope at least nearly all of the proceeds make it to the designated charities without too much going to "administrative fees." About the only raffle I entirely trust is the NCM raffle. Those are fun to think about, too.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:07 AM
Stroh
Drifting

Default This Just In

Drawing 2 Winners

Guess I didn't win this one. Bummer.
Old 04-09-2021, 01:03 PM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,837 Likes on 1,783 Posts

I am in as well.
For the low cost of the tickets I'm not too worried about the shop's restoration abilities.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:44 PM
myoriginal77
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Off topic but ...

Some years ago I entered a contest ( way before the internet ) to win a new Corvette. On a Friday when I came home there was a message on my machine; " Please call xxx-xxx-xxxx in regards to winning the new Corvette. " Too late that day, closed all weekend.
9:05 Monday - " Oh, thanks for calling, we wanted to let you know that we didn't sell enough tickets to give the car away and we're wondering if you want a refund or if you wanted to donate the money to our charity? " "Sure, donate it."

Stay safe,
Frank
Old 04-10-2021, 08:19 AM
Stroh
Drifting

That had to be one anxious weekend. I'd have been completely bonkers.

Get notified of new replies

To The Lost Corvettes Raffle

Quick Reply: The Lost Corvettes Raffle