Sponsored by:

1978 c3 won't crank

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 09:22 PM
Aheiss
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1978 c3 won't crank

I recently purchased a 1978 c3. My first one. It won't crank. After about a month of it sitting, I figured I'd need to jump it. But the battery is fine, reading at about 12 to 12.5. Fans turn on, radio turns on, but the ignition won't move past aux position. It did this last time I started it (about a month ago) but after a few tries, it fired up. Now I can't get it to go. It hits the point where the "brake" light comes on on the dash but that's as far as it will go. Is that the end of the ignition turn? Am I doing something wrong? Or am I not doing something I should be?
Old 03-29-2021, 11:54 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,608 Posts

A reading of 12 is low and if you are basing this on the car gauge it may not be accurate.
Have you tried jumping it?
It is unclear what you mean concerning the turning of the ignition key.
Are you turning it to the point of start and then it returns on its own to the run position?

Last edited by MelWff; 03-29-2021 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-29-2021, 01:31 PM
Aheiss
4th Gear

Originally Posted by MelWff
A reading of 12 is low and if you are basing this on the car gauge it may not be accurate.
Have you tried jumping it?
It is unclear what you mean concerning the turning of the ignition key.
Are you turning it to the point of start and then it returns on its own to the run position?
I ran an external battery to it. I will try jumping it with my jeep after work today. The key does not make a full ignition turn. The key and wings turn to the point of the "brake" light on the dash, but do not reach the lock position. It will not budge any further. I'm hoping it's just a full jump start with another vehicle. If not, I'm thinking it's the starter. But if that battery reading is too low, that's where I will start. Thank you so much for replying.
Old 03-29-2021, 02:11 PM
gdm78vette
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

You don't say if your car is an automatic or manual? If automatic the shifter must be in Park or Neutral for the engine to crank. If manual you must depress the clutch pedal. The positions of the ignition switch are Lock (steering wheel is locked and key can be removed), turning clockwise the next position is Off, then Run, then Start. In the Run position with the engine not running the Gen Light will be on and the Seatbelts light too if they aren't fastened and you are sitting on the seat. In the Start position the Brake light will be on until the engine is running. Based on what you are saying I suspect either your Neutral Safety switch or the Clutch Depressed switch is defective or out of position (depends on transmission type). If Automatic try starting in Neutral or try wiggling the shift leaver or pushing it more towards the Park position. If Manual try pushing down harder on the clutch peddle.

All I got for now.

Old 03-29-2021, 02:16 PM
Aheiss
4th Gear

Originally Posted by gdm78vette
You don't say if your car is an automatic or manual? If automatic the shifter must be in Park or Neutral for the engine to crank. If manual you must depress the clutch pedal. The positions of the ignition switch are Lock (steering wheel is locked and key can be removed), turning clockwise the next position is Off, then Run, then Start. In the Run position with the engine not running the Gen Light will be on and the Seatbelts light too if they aren't fastened and you are sitting on the seat. In the Start position the Brake light will be on until the engine is running. Based on what you are saying I suspect either your Neutral Safety switch or the Clutch Depressed switch is defective or out of position (depends on transmission type). If Automatic try starting in Neutral or try wiggling the shift leaver or pushing it more towards the Park position. If Manual try pushing down harder on the clutch peddle.

All I got for now.

Thank you so much! This helps a lot. It is automatic, so I will try this next, while jumping it again. If it is just the neutral safety switch that is bad, the car will start in neutral? I'm very new to classic cars.
Old 03-29-2021, 03:23 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,141 Likes on 1,645 Posts

"the key does not make a full IGN turn" The key & wings of the switch only move so far. This does not sound like a neutral switch issue.
The brake warning light illuminates until the engine fires.

Your IGN switch is out of whack, just plane shot or needs some adjustment. The components for the IGN switch are not where you think they are. Its down farther on the column.
Using Google or Bing try to find Jim Sheas IGN switch papers.

And by the way. A battery reading of 12.1 V - 12.4V indicates there is ample voltage at the battery. It does not indicate cold cranking (CCA) amps available at the starter.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 03-29-2021 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-29-2021, 03:28 PM
Aheiss
4th Gear

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
"the key does not make a full IGN turn" The key & wings of the switch only move so far. This does not sound like a neutral switch issue.
The brake warning light illuminates until the engine fires.

Your IGN switch is out of whack, just plane shot or needs some adjustment. The components for the IGN switch are not where you think they are. Its down farther on the column.
Using Google or Bing try to find Jim Sheas IGN switch papers.
Thank you. I will check that out and see what I can find.
Old 03-29-2021, 03:36 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,141 Likes on 1,645 Posts

According to this forum, all too often people swap-out a brand new IGN switch for nothing. And the problem you describe is still there.
Most of the time its the adjustment rod in the lower column.
Old 03-29-2021, 05:26 PM
gdm78vette
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Aheiss
Thank you so much! This helps a lot. It is automatic, so I will try this next, while jumping it again. If it is just the neutral safety switch that is bad, the car will start in neutral? I'm very new to classic cars.
An automatic should start in Park or Neutral. The safety switch is activated when the shifter is in either of these positions. If the switch isn't closing because it is loose, out of position or defective then the car won't crank.

As you turn the key you should hear and feel as you pass through the different positions of off and run. To turn to the start position you should feel a light spring resistance that will return the key to run position when you release it. You mention that it has started sometimes and not others, does the brake warning light come on in both cases? If the brake warning light doesn't come on then look at the ignition switch. If the light does come on and the car is in park or neutral it should crank, if it doesn't the most likely problems are with the safety switch or the solenoid on the starter or the wiring to from these parts.

Oh and you should insert the key and use the wings to do the turning not the key itself.

Get notified of new replies

To 1978 c3 won't crank

Quick Reply: 1978 c3 won't crank