Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 05:25 PM
BEJ
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Windshield question

Hi all,

During the process of getting my 75 ready for paint, I decided to also remove the windshield and reposition it. I had always wondered why the trim around the windshield sat1/4 of an inch or so off of the glass. In looking at the reasons for it, I have come to the conclusion that the windshield must have been replaced at some point in the past and was done improperly. I have read several threads on the process of installing the windshield, watched video etc. and aside from an DIY install or professional, one question remains in my mind. Everything that I have seen indicates that in order to get the windshield to sit high enough in the frame to meet with the trim, you must use a damming strip. Here is the question. How much overlap should there be with the windshield and the frame? On mine there is no more that 1/4 or so of overlap and I cannot imagine how to get damming strip in there and have space for the adhesive. Is it just possible that my windshield is too narrow? Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,
Bryan (BEJ)
Old 03-16-2021, 05:53 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,213 Likes on 2,763 Posts

That is a good point about a winshield overlapping the frame as much as possible.

Just a thought.
I have wondered if 1/8" diameter plastic or hard rubber spacers which are the correct thickness could be superglued to the frame...maybe at 2" spacing.
The small diameter of the spacers would not affect the sealer doing its job of preventing water leaks.
The spacers would guarantee that the new or re-installed windshield does not sit too close to the frame and does not "sink" into the sealer.
Then the sealer could be applied carefully and the windshield set in place.
The spacers would ensure the stainless trim met the windshield correctly.

Last edited by doorgunner; 03-17-2021 at 12:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BEJ (03-16-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 06:18 PM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,570 Likes on 2,757 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

replaced the Original windshield in my 77 about a year ago. used 3/8ths damming foam placed right on the edge of the frame. all good.
The following 2 users liked this post by 4-vettes:
BEJ (03-16-2021), doorgunner (03-17-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 06:30 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by doorgunner
I have wondered if 1/8" diameter plastic or hard rubber spacers which are the correct thickness could be superglued to the frame...maybe at 2" spacing.
The small diameter of the spacers would not affect the sealer doing its job of preventing water leaks.
The spacers would guarantee that the new or re-installed windshield does not sit to close to the frame and does not "sink" into the sealer.
Then the sealer could be applied carefully and the windshield set in place.
The spacers would ensure the stainless trim met the windshield correctly.
This is exactly what I did. I used 1/8" by 1/8" rubber strips, cut a couple inches long. and glued around the perimeter. Then the sealant was applied right around, and over the spacers. Worked like a charm, and my chrome trim sits flat against the glass with no gaps.
The following 2 users liked this post by oldgto:
BEJ (03-16-2021), doorgunner (03-17-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 07:03 PM
PARANORMAL
SUPPORT AUTISM
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '14

Originally Posted by 4-vettes
replaced the Original windshield in my 77 about a year ago. used 3/8ths damming foam placed right on the edge of the frame. all good.
I' am also in the process of swapping my windshield. Where can I find this roll of dam tape. Everywhere that I look, you have to purchase a pack of 12 for close to $100.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:57 PM
firstgenaddict
Burning Brakes

Received 370 Likes on 230 Posts

/The original dam is about 3/8" tall when upright and 3/16"" wide, it goes on about 3/8" from the edge of the glass then you cut the urethane tube tip AS SHOWN IN THE FISHER BODY MANUAL and lay the bead in and then install. AND yes you should use the blocks.

Here is a piece of an original - which has a cloth backing, this prevents the installer from "stretching" the dam.

The following 2 users liked this post by firstgenaddict:
BEJ (03-17-2021), doorgunner (03-17-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 12:07 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,213 Likes on 2,763 Posts

I guess the O.P. can use the measurements above to determine if his windshield overlaps the frame enough for sealer to hold it without coming loose.

Is it possible for him to trim some off the edge of the dam tape if he needs the extra area for sealant to do its job?
BEJ (03-17-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 07:25 AM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,570 Likes on 2,757 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by jacquesc6
I' am also in the process of swapping my windshield. Where can I find this roll of dam tape. Everywhere that I look, you have to purchase a pack of 12 for close to $100.
Have you looked on ebay? or in my case, just got some from the local windshield install guys.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:46 AM
BEJ
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I appreciate all of the responses and information so far but the original question still stands. How much overlap should there be between windshield and frame?
Old 03-17-2021, 10:00 AM
firstgenaddict
Burning Brakes

Received 370 Likes on 230 Posts

1/4" should be enough.
1. Set your glass in place with the rubber spacer blocks EXACTLY where you want it
2. then take tape and put two on each A pillar running over onto the windshield -
3. do the same in one place each side from the top rail onto the glass across the top ,
4. then cut the tape with a razor at the glass channel -
5. prep the glass with the dam and urethane
6. then align the tape on the glass with the tape on your A pillars and header bar
7. Push the glass to seal and check to ensure the sealer has no voids
8. IF you see voids use a paint paddle and some additional sealer pumped out onto the paddle to "butter" it up.

James.

Last edited by firstgenaddict; 03-17-2021 at 10:01 AM.
BEJ (03-17-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 12:57 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 802 Likes on 550 Posts

I have seen a video where the guy takes a sharpie and from inside the car traces where the windshield frame meets the glass. Take the glass back out and That should at least give you an idea of how much space you have to work with. Haven’t done it yet on my car but will be watching this thread
Old 03-17-2021, 02:34 PM
BEJ
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by firstgenaddict
1/4" should be enough.
1. Set your glass in place with the rubber spacer blocks EXACTLY where you want it
2. then take tape and put two on each A pillar running over onto the windshield -
3. do the same in one place each side from the top rail onto the glass across the top ,
4. then cut the tape with a razor at the glass channel -
5. prep the glass with the dam and urethane
6. then align the tape on the glass with the tape on your A pillars and header bar
7. Push the glass to seal and check to ensure the sealer has no voids
8. IF you see voids use a paint paddle and some additional sealer pumped out onto the paddle to "butter" it up.

James.
Thanks James. I watched another video that gave the impression that the dam on the top and bottom of the windshield provide support so that the glass doesn't sink into the urethane, while the dam on the sides is there just to prevent intrusion of the urethane into the cabin. That does make more sense to me as I was laboring under the impression that the support came from the sides.
Old 03-17-2021, 03:27 PM
BEJ
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by kanvasman
I have seen a video where the guy takes a sharpie and from inside the car traces where the windshield frame meets the glass. Take the glass back out and That should at least give you an idea of how much space you have to work with. Haven’t done it yet on my car but will be watching this thread
I have seen that one as well. Pretty instructive.
Old 03-17-2021, 08:59 PM
BackInTheGame
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I just replaced my windshield on my 73 two weeks ago. I found .375 X .25 X 18 Ft. Single side installation foam tape on the gtglass.com website for $7.00. We trial fit the windshield with the tape on it and the checked the fit of the molding and it was perfect. Pulled the glass back off and applied the 3M urethane and stuck it back on the car. No mess inside the car and perfect fit with the molding on.
The following 2 users liked this post by BackInTheGame:
firstgenaddict (03-19-2021), PARANORMAL (03-18-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 12:19 PM
PARANORMAL
SUPPORT AUTISM
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '14

Originally Posted by BackInTheGame
I just replaced my windshield on my 73 two weeks ago. I found .375 X .25 X 18 Ft. Single side installation foam tape on the gtglass.com website for $7.00. We trial fit the windshield with the tape on it and the checked the fit of the molding and it was perfect. Pulled the glass back off and applied the 3M urethane and stuck it back on the car. No mess inside the car and perfect fit with the molding on.
Thank you. Will be ordering today.

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield question

Quick Reply: Windshield question