Sponsored by:

To Heat delete or not....that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 07:37 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,705 Likes on 1,421 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I drove my restored 77 for four seasons in Western Pennsylvania without heat. When I rebuilt the car, I installed a new heater core, but never hooked it up. This last winter I got it all connected, with an NOS heater valve, and looking forward to extending my driving season. There were days early and late in the year, that we didn't take it out cause it was just too cold. I am looking forward to having it. One year on the way home from Corvette Carlisle, I could have used the defrost, and now I will have it. Although, all it took was a quick wipe with a towel, so not really a big deal. Maybe someday I will install the windshield washer system,....but I doubt it.....RainX and avoiding rainy days probaby is enough. And if I get caught in the rain,....the wipers work.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 02-28-2021 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:34 PM
platinummaker
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard454
Granted I'm 1K miles south of you...we measure snow down here in parts of an inch- not feet!!!

I'm not running a heater- but do have a Vintage Air AC.

For the chilly mornings I have added heated seats- inexpensive and not really that tough to do.

Richard
Easy for you to say! Ha ha
Old 02-28-2021, 11:03 PM
71 Vert LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 400 Likes on 303 Posts

On my 67 Nova project from a few years ago the some what primitive defrost did not dry the air but totally kept the wind shield clear with warm air in 80 plus air temps while non defrost cars were totally fogged over.
Old 02-28-2021, 11:15 PM
c5c6c7
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks again everyone, I was reading that a lot of people were having problems with the car getting to hot inside, but I suspected that it's predominately from the exhaust rather than the heater.
I'm going to take the advice of many and go with just replacing the heater core and hopefully I can get those couple of vacuum lines operating the dampers for the defroster and the heater itself...
Old 02-28-2021, 11:21 PM
mrit
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also added an electric defroster to mine-

Small electric heated "hair dryers"- work way faster than heating up the engine.

Any chance you have a link to those?
Old 03-01-2021, 12:00 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,223 Likes on 1,734 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by mrit
Any chance you have a link to those?
Here it is on Amazon-

Amazon Amazon

But look else where (unlike my wife...) and you can find them for half the price Amazon wants.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:51 AM
Pale Roader
Burning Brakes

Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts

APPARENTLY... (read: i've not done this yet) you can buy really nice aftermarket heaters. The Jeep guys love these little heater systems. Easy to install, cheap enough, simpler than factory, and they do everything they're supposed to. This is my plan. I'm a weight-reduction spaz... i salivate at losing all that factory heater mess weight, and gaining the space. Those little aftermarket heaters are small too, and they weigh VERY little. Something around $2-300 i think? I live in Canada. Even the mildest winters in Canada re winters. Where i am, its WET... so deleting entirely is impossible. If i lived in a dry state? Yank. Toss. Duct-tape up the holes. Done.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:07 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,378 Likes on 3,955 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

The Fall car shows start early ad have to be on the road early to get there for a good spot and registration.......so when I leave there can be frost on the ground, a good working heater and defroster are very important on those days. My 327 never got the interior warm but I replaced the carpet and used a thick pile under it which seems to keep the summer cabin heat down. Im hoping to put in a 427 this spring which could run the interior temps up which I hope does not happen. I run hedaman headers to the stock 69 style side exhaust so that may be why the exhaust heat doesnt get into the cabin too much. I would also second the water alve and bypass for the heater. Im going to do that mod as well since the motor is out.

I think you are on the right track with keeping the heater. Although all the electric options that the others have mentioned sound like a good idea as well, just more work
The following users liked this post:
c5c6c7 (03-01-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 08:44 PM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

I use Rain-X Anti-Fog.
The following users liked this post:
doorgunner (03-02-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 09:00 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,168 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by Pale Roader
APPARENTLY... (read: i've not done this yet) you can buy really nice aftermarket heaters. The Jeep guys love these little heater systems. Easy to install, cheap enough, simpler than factory, and they do everything they're supposed to. This is my plan. I'm a weight-reduction spaz... i salivate at losing all that factory heater mess weight, and gaining the space. Those little aftermarket heaters are small too, and they weigh VERY little. Something around $2-300 i think? I live in Canada. Even the mildest winters in Canada re winters. Where i am, its WET... so deleting entirely is impossible. If i lived in a dry state? Yank. Toss. Duct-tape up the holes. Done.
Please let us know if you find a system that works. Any Tesla motor or other EV conversion will require an electric solution, too. If I have the heat out now, I may as well plan for it.

AC, too!
Old 03-01-2021, 09:41 PM
Pale Roader
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bikespace
Please let us know if you find a system that works. Any Tesla motor or other EV conversion will require an electric solution, too. If I have the heat out now, I may as well plan for it.

AC, too!
Man, i'm still shopping for a CAR! But i had this stuff all mapped out for my last build, which was a Mopar. Same trick though. I THINK (???) it was a Flaming River system? I remember it was 2.2lbs total. A quick search on google fired me towards Summit and i found 12 different brands there. Shouldn't be a hard nut to crack.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:51 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bikespace

AC, too!
Now most EV are using a heat pump type system... There are some units out there ( eBay /junkyads-older Teslas) that use the restive heating elements- but require several hundred volts.

I looked at aftermarket electric heaters- but with only 12V- the resistance type heating uses a ton of current- here's one but it requires 30-50A

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Demon-Tweek...-/302251941380

Electric AC- there are also several out there- but like the heater pull a lot of current- like 50A-below- that's what I am running-

Old 03-01-2021, 10:03 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Pale Roader
Man, i'm still shopping for a CAR! But i had this stuff all mapped out for my last build, which was a Mopar. Same trick though. I THINK (???) it was a Flaming River system? I remember it was 2.2lbs total. A quick search on google fired me towards Summit and i found 12 different brands there. Shouldn't be a hard nut to crack.

They all require using engine coolant (Summit) except for a handheld -like I'm using for my defroster system or a "back seat" heater ( which I could have used in High school- just sayin!!!)

However the specs gloss over the BTU output- and it looks to pulls 25A.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rpe-3501

Old 03-02-2021, 04:57 AM
Pale Roader
Burning Brakes

They all require using engine coolant (

Yeah, thats a given. I've never known even a big floorstanding electric heater to be ov any use. I'd never install one in a car. Maybe as an overnight heater in the winter, but that will plug into the house and require very litltle actual heat to be effective at keeping frost/fog off the glass. The one i saw had two simple hoses routed from the engine. Too easy.

Last edited by Pale Roader; 03-02-2021 at 04:57 AM.

Quick Reply: To Heat delete or not....that is the question