1982 auto transmission won't shift

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 10:39 AM
Idan55
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 1982 auto transmission won't shift

Hi all,
2 weeks ago I have purchased my first C3 collector edition.
My expertise is more in German cars, but always wanted C3.

So, the lady I bought the car from (Orlando,FL)rebuilt the transmission last month. At the same time the ECM died and she give up on counting fixing the car. I have replaced the ECM and the car start immediately but won't shift into drive.

I don't know much about this GM transmission but I would like to troubleshoot this issue before I have to tow the car 300 miles for warranty services.
is it elctronic? Or cable? Internal solenoids? Vacuum valves?
Please advise.

Dan.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:56 AM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

Will it shift to reverse? If stuck in park, Check the switch on your brake pedal and the wiring associated with the solenoid.

Last edited by Cooter Tech; 12-01-2020 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:18 AM
Eric P
Drifting

Received 427 Likes on 295 Posts

there is nothing Electronic inside the transmission that would keep it from moving forward ..... Does the shifter not shift into Drive **or** the shifter shifts into drive and vehicle does not move ?
Old 12-01-2020, 02:09 PM
Idan55
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cooter Tech
Will it shift to reverse? If stuck in park, Check the switch on your brake pedal and the wiring associated with the solenoid.
I can switch to all gears, and its go to Park. but nothing happens when push R or D,2,3
Old 12-01-2020, 02:10 PM
Idan55
Instructor

Originally Posted by Eric P
there is nothing Electronic inside the transmission that would keep it from moving forward ..... Does the shifter not shift into Drive **or** the shifter shifts into drive and vehicle does not move ?
The shifter shifts into drive and vehicle does not move . Same as R,2,3.

Last edited by Idan55; 12-01-2020 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-01-2020, 02:25 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

1982 all Automatic trans corvettes had a 700-R4, 4 speed trans. That trans has a cable that controls the shift points, along with how firm the shifts are. The only electronics in that are controlled by the ECM and that is limited to the engagement of the torque converter clutch. If it's not moving, or even trying to move when the selector is placed in R or any of the drive positions, I'd check the cable from the shifter in the car and the attachment to the trans. The nut that holds the lever on the trans has been known to get loose and allow the lever to disengage from the shaft. Also check the fluid level- if it's low, the pump can't build enough pressure to make the clutches engage. Past all of that, and still no resolution, it's time to drop the pan and have a look. If the fluid on the dipstick now smells bad or is really discolored, it's probably time for a trans rebuild.
The following users liked this post:
RLI (12-04-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 02:51 PM
Idan55
Instructor

Originally Posted by TimAT
1982 all Automatic trans corvettes had a 700-R4, 4 speed trans. That trans has a cable that controls the shift points, along with how firm the shifts are. The only electronics in that are controlled by the ECM and that is limited to the engagement of the torque converter clutch. If it's not moving, or even trying to move when the selector is placed in R or any of the drive positions, I'd check the cable from the shifter in the car and the attachment to the trans. The nut that holds the lever on the trans has been known to get loose and allow the lever to disengage from the shaft. Also check the fluid level- if it's low, the pump can't build enough pressure to make the clutches engage. Past all of that, and still no resolution, it's time to drop the pan and have a look. If the fluid on the dipstick now smells bad or is really discolored, it's probably time for a trans rebuild.
thank you Tim,
I will check the cable and oil level tonight.
Transmission was rebuilt last month and yesterday was the first time the car started (waiting long time to replacement ECM and PROM). This is why I belive the mechanic has forgotten to connect somthing.
Old 12-01-2020, 04:10 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,714 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Proper setting of the T.V. (throttle valve) cable is essential for long life of the transmission. If inadequate T.V. pressure is produced when at WOT, clutches will FRY!!
Old 12-02-2020, 01:12 AM
Idan55
Instructor

How do you do proper settings for the cable (throttle valve)?
I don't see any regulation nut connected into the transmission, is it from the shifter?

Also, do I check the transmission fluid when motor is running and shifter at P?
Old 12-02-2020, 12:16 PM
Idan55
Instructor

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Proper setting of the T.V. (throttle valve) cable is essential for long life of the transmission. If inadequate T.V. pressure is produced when at WOT, clutches will FRY!!
how many cable are connected into the transmission?
how do you adjust the cable to the right size?
Old 12-02-2020, 08:20 PM
Idan55
Instructor

Ok, I have checked today the transmission cable. From the shifter to the transmission, all looks good. The cable work as expected.
Transmission fluid is new. Fluid level are as required.
I still can't find the T.V cable.
might have to take the car back to the shop
Old 12-03-2020, 12:20 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Specifically, that cable needs to be adjusted by monitoring the hydraulic pressure from the T.V. pressure tap on the left side of the transmission...while the engine is running and the throttle cable and T.V. cables are disconnected from the carburetor linkage. The linkage and T.V. connection point on it need to be set up so that at 'closed throttle' position, T.V. pressure is at minimum...AND....so that at WOT, T.V. pressure is maximized WITHOUT PUTTING THE TV CABLE IN A BIND (you can not go completely to full travel of the cable when at WOT)

If you do not have a carb with linkage specifically designed to accept the T.V. cable & transmission that you have joined with it, this effort is a puzzle of geometry and where to locate the cable connection point so that the two requirement listed above are met satisfactorily. Do this sound a bit complex? Well, it can be if you don't do this stuff on a regular basis. And most of us don't.
I'm only going into detail on this because I don't want to see a post from you next week that your work just went up in tranny smoke along with some of the internal clutches. I want you to be successful & I need to make you aware of the importance of getting this cable set PROPERLY. You best guidance is to do some research on the web about this issue and learn the important aspects of it, so that you can do the job well or so that you can find someone (or a shop) that can set it up properly for you.

Wish you luck!!
Old 12-03-2020, 01:26 AM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,008 Likes on 690 Posts

Are you in the USA? If not, can you provide what country you are in? The first thing you NEED to do is buy a GM 1982 service manual. It has all the information you need to set the TV cable correctly and maintain/troubleshoot the 82 CFI. Like mentioned, if you get the TV cable setting wrong, it will NOT take long before you WILL burn up the trans. The TV cable adjustment is at the TB linkage under the hood. It is a press button"click ratchet" arrangement. It doesn't take a lot to set it up, but it is specific. PLEASE buy a manual and save yourself tons of time playing a guessing game.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:50 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Actually, the service manual does not have ALL the information on how to set up a T.V. cable system when installing it on carb linkage which was NOT made to accept it.

It shows how to set the 'closed throttle' position with the cable; but the "difficult" stuff is not included since the cable, trans, and carb are already made to work properly when assembled.

For folks 'marrying' these pieces when they are NOT designed to match as a set, you have to 'grind it out' the old-fashioned way: figure out how it needs to work, then "make it so".
Old 12-03-2020, 07:50 AM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,008 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Actually, the service manual does not have ALL the information on how to set up a T.V. cable system when installing it on carb linkage which was NOT made to accept it.

It shows how to set the 'closed throttle' position with the cable; but the "difficult" stuff is not included since the cable, trans, and carb are already made to work properly when assembled.

For folks 'marrying' these pieces when they are NOT designed to match as a set, you have to 'grind it out' the old-fashioned way: figure out how it needs to work, then "make it so".
What carb are you talking about? 82 CFI is two TBs, not carb and it is easy to setup.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:41 AM
Fast81
Melting Slicks

Received 250 Likes on 160 Posts

The procedure is simple and quick to do.( with motor off)

1. depress the "ratcheting" button on the TV cable module attached to the intake.
2. manually pull the the throttle forward to WOT while continuing to depress the button.
3. when at WOT, let go of the button to set the kickdown range

I've done it this way a couple times
FAST
Old 12-03-2020, 10:03 AM
Idan55
Instructor

Originally Posted by Buccaneer
What carb are you talking about? 82 CFI is two TBs, not carb and it is easy to setup.
this is why I was confused also.

Get notified of new replies

To 1982 auto transmission won't shift

Old 12-03-2020, 10:13 AM
Idan55
Instructor

I live in south Florida.
How many cables are connected into the transmission?
I thought only 1, shifter to transmission.
I also thought the T.V cable is connected to the gas paddle.
I'm kinda lost over here. I don't have a problem with acceleration.

Last edited by Idan55; 12-03-2020 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-03-2020, 12:50 PM
Eric P
Drifting

Received 427 Likes on 295 Posts

TV cable adjustment is not the reason it won't move , but IF the TV cable is not adjusted right it will either cause hard late shift or super soft shifts that can burn up a transmission clutches and Band
Old 12-03-2020, 01:13 PM
Idan55
Instructor

Originally Posted by Eric P
TV cable adjustment is not the reason it won't move , but IF the TV cable is not adjusted right it will either cause hard late shift or super soft shifts that can burn up a transmission clutches and Band
From my understanding and research, if TV cable is not connected the car won't move.
You can shift to Park and run the motor, but have to the TV connected properly to create oil pressure.
I find his vedio very helpful and will test it tonight:

Quick Reply: 1982 auto transmission won't shift