Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One night in Bangkok, 11/26/2020

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 04:42 PM
71 Vert LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 400 Likes on 303 Posts

I kind of remember a night in Bangkok but it's still a bit fuzzy.
Old 12-03-2020, 05:49 PM
CamarosRus
Melting Slicks

Received 939 Likes on 603 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Could somebody with KNOWLEDGE Explain
what sort of Thai citizens desire and can afford
those taxed prices ????

What is the cost of fuel and what quality of fuel

Are these just rich people's toyz or where can you actually drive
on decent highways in Thailand ???
Old 12-03-2020, 06:21 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,009 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by 71 Vert LS1
I kind of remember a night in Bangkok but it's still a bit fuzzy.
From the early 70s? That must have been one hell of a night out on the town G.I. for brain fog to last that long.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:09 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by CamarosRus
Could somebody with KNOWLEDGE Explain
what sort of Thai citizens desire and can afford
those taxed prices ????

What is the cost of fuel and what quality of fuel

Are these just rich people's toyz or where can you actually drive
on decent highways in Thailand ???
Odd things happen in a country ruled by the richest king in the world where dissent is a crime and the general population has the dimmest view of capitalism.

Thailand actually has the largest automotive industry in southeast Asia but it's largely an assembly operation by Japanese companies plus one native badge that I suspect is owned/controlled by the king. There is a small selection of "domestic" vehicles not subject to that insane import tax. Beyond that import of ALL used cars is due to be banned as of December 10, 2020.

Fuel was around $4.00 (US) per gallon when I visited this year to include a ten-day road trip through the northwest (most populated) section of the country where the highways to include some more scenic routes I used were at least fair by US standards.

To answer your question cars not assembled domestically ARE "toyz of the rich" in Thailand.

Last edited by SwampeastMike; 12-03-2020 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:56 PM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SwampeastMike
Odd things happen in a country ruled by the richest king in the world where dissent is a crime and the general population has the dimmest view of capitalism.

Thailand actually has the largest automotive industry in southeast Asia but it's largely an assembly operation by Japanese companies plus one native badge that I suspect is owned/controlled by the king. There is a small selection of "domestic" vehicles not subject to that insane import tax. Beyond that import of ALL used cars is due to be banned as of December 10, 2020.

Fuel was around $4.00 (US) per gallon when I visited this year to include a ten-day road trip through the northwest (most populated) section of the country where the highways to include some more scenic routes I used were at least fair by US standards.

To answer your question cars not assembled domestically ARE "toyz of the rich" in Thailand.
used car import ban was in place 2019.

Many old classics were here long before the ban.

Last edited by Bangkok Dean; 12-06-2020 at 11:58 PM.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:42 PM
71 Vert LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 400 Likes on 303 Posts

Totally off topic but I was in Bangkok late 80's early 90's on a number of business trips and tech inspections. I found the Thai folks very nice. The best place we found to eat dinner was a place called "If it swims we have it". Best seafood I've ever had.
Old 12-08-2020, 04:03 AM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 71 Vert LS1
Totally off topic but I was in Bangkok late 80's early 90's on a number of business trips and tech inspections. I found the Thai folks very nice. The best place we found to eat dinner was a place called "If it swims we have it". Best seafood I've ever had.
Yes on the corner of asoke and Sukhumvit road, Long gone. there is a tall building there now.
Old 12-08-2020, 07:32 AM
Tom69
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 249 Likes on 110 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Although I haven't been to Bangkok since 2007, I have had many layovers there from the 70's to then. I don't recall seeing any vettes however at popular international watering holes such as at the Hard Rock Cafe you would see an occasional goat or Mustang.

I always enjoyed my visits to Thailand and I found the people are gracious and welcoming. As I type this, within arms reach on our couch, we have two beautiful silk pillows that I purchased from Jim Thompson's Silk House. Over the years I purchased jewelry and had many custom suits and uniforms made. As a matter of fact we brought a magazine photo to our favorite taylor, "The Maharaj", of the wedding dress my daughter selected to be made.

Some of you military folks may know whom I am speaking of..."The Maharaj". His claim to fame was being the creator of the "party suit" sought by many aviators during the Vietnam war. Back then the Maharaj had a shop in Ubon, Thailand. His party suits were so popular that congressmen, diplomats, and even U.S. Presidents had them made! After the war the Maharaj moved his business to Bangkok. His taylor shop was next to our layover hotel, the Novotel. When you entered his shop he would have two beautiful young ladies greet you with a beer while seated surrounded by signed photos and albums of the Maharaj's illustrious life. If you ordered your suit by
9 am, it was delivered to your hotel by 2 pm (the wedding dress took about one or two layovers later).

Sorry for the thread drift...but this topic resurrected fond memories.

Tom69

Last edited by Tom69; 12-08-2020 at 08:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
marshal135 (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 11:10 PM
tankertoad89
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 4-vettes
some nice looking cars! However, I'd be terrified to drive one in Bangkok!
I certainly second that statement, based on my time there during that "dirty little war."

Quick Reply: One night in Bangkok, 11/26/2020