C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a new starter. Auto Zone brand okay? Other recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 11:16 AM
SonOfGaladriel
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need a new starter. Auto Zone brand okay? Other recommendations?

Local mechanic wants $565 to replace the starter on my '69, small block, automatic. I'm going to do it myself, but I could use some advice on which starter to get.
I've done some reading about the newer mini starters but not sure I'm willing to take the risk on something not fitting or having to extra work to make it fit. I've seen prices from $40 to $300 on starters. My car is an evening and weekend cruiser, not hot rodded or driven hard. Thinking I'll just get a remanufactured Duralast starter at Auto Zone for $65 that matches the car's specs.
Also, is there a significant difference between the cast iron tip and the silver tip? I see some starters are only for manual transmissions. If the description doesn't mention 'manual' transmission, I assume that means it will work for an automatic?
Please forgive all the questions. I'm new to this but wanting to learn.
Any tips or suggestions to make the replacement go easy for me would be very much appreciated!
Thanks.
Sean

Last edited by SonOfGaladriel; 10-08-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:24 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 889 Likes on 774 Posts

Autozone starter is fine. Just go with a stock starter for now....I say that from reading your post. Later on, when you get more proficient, then you can start doing mods with mini-starters and whatnot.
ENSURE that you disconnect the negative battery terminal before starting work.
You're going to need to lift the car, ramps or whatnot, make sure you put it in a safe condition prior to getting underneath.
Take a picture of the leads at the starter before disconnecting them.

Originally Posted by SonOfGaladriel
Local mechanic wants $565 to replace the starter on my '69, small block, automatic. I'm going to do it myself, but I could use some advice on which starter to get.
I've done some reading about the newer mini starters but not sure I'm willing to take the risk on something not fitting or having to extra work to make it fit. I've seen prices from $40 to $300 on starters. My car is an evening and weekend cruiser, not hot rodded or driven hard. Thinking I'll just get a remanufactured Duralast starter at Auto Zone for $65 that matches the car's specs.
Also, is there a significant difference between the cast iron tip and the silver tip? Please forgive all the questions. I'm new to this but wanting to learn.
Any tips or suggestions to make the replacement go easy for me would be very much appreciated!
Thanks.
Sean

Last edited by carriljc; 10-08-2020 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:25 AM
LINY Kevin
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Also, is there a significant difference between the cast iron tip and the silver tip? Please forgive all the questions. I'm new to this but wanting to learn.
Thanks.
Sean
Autozone is fine. But for a little more $ you could get a mini starter. Lighter and will probably be easier to install. I think I paid $120 from jegs.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:32 AM
Dynra Rockets
Burning Brakes

Received 236 Likes on 200 Posts

I bought a $50 "ministarter" and the separately required 10mm shank bolts and it went right in. SDR0031-L. This is the unit GM has been using as OEM since the 90's. No issues with fitment or installation.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:33 AM
ntfday
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

Or for the price of a new set of brushes, a bit of emery cloth to clean the commutator, and a new bendix you could rebuild your own. And also replace the solenoid. If you just are going to replace the starter and solenoid and not in a big hurry check Rock Auto
Old 10-08-2020, 11:36 AM
SonOfGaladriel
Racer

Originally Posted by carriljc
Autozone starter is fine. Just go with a stock starter for now....I say that from reading your post. Later on, when you get more proficient, then you can start doing mods with mini-starters and whatnot.
ENSURE that you disconnect the negative battery terminal before starting work.
You're going to need to lift the car, ramps or whatnot, make sure you put it in a safe condition prior to getting underneath.
Take a picture of the leads at the starter before disconnecting them.
Thank you! The car is up on ramps with jack stands in place as a back up and blocks behind the rear tires. As safe as I can make it. I'll be removing the old starter this evening after work.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:40 AM
pigfarmer
Burning Brakes

Received 295 Likes on 158 Posts

Also, is there a significant difference between the cast iron tip and the silver tip? I see some starters are only for manual transmissions. If the description doesn't mention 'manual' transmission, I assume that means it will work for an automatic?
Please forgive all the questions. I'm new to this but wanting to learn.
Thanks.
Sean
A chain store starter is probably fine but I found an indie shop and the guy was great. Helped me with a couple of small issues, was totally cool in a way you aren't going to get at a commercial chain. The area DPW garages use him for starters & alternators. Maybe you have one locally
Old 10-08-2020, 11:41 AM
SonOfGaladriel
Racer

Originally Posted by Dynra Rockets
I bought a $50 "ministarter" and the separately required 10mm shank bolts and it went right in. SDR0031-L. This is the unit GM has been using as OEM since the 90's. No issues with fitment or installation.
Is this the right one?
Amazon Amazon
Old 10-08-2020, 11:43 AM
SonOfGaladriel
Racer

Originally Posted by ntfday
Or for the price of a new set of brushes, a bit of emery cloth to clean the commutator, and a new bendix you could rebuild your own. And also replace the solenoid. If you just are going to replace the starter and solenoid and not in a big hurry check Rock Auto
Thanks for the tip, but rebuild is more than I have time to tackle right now. I'm hoping for a simple swap, old for new.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:47 AM
Dynra Rockets
Burning Brakes

Received 236 Likes on 200 Posts

That is the part number I used. I bought on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...031-L&_sacat=0

I see the amazon unit comes with the bolts so price is about the same as the bolts purchased separately are about $8.

Notice the unit pictured has the staggered mounting holes. You need to verify that your block has strait or staggered and buy appropriately. Your engine should also have the 168 tooth flywheel if OEM but verify before purchase

Last edited by Dynra Rockets; 10-08-2020 at 11:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
HeadsU.P. (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 11:52 AM
SonOfGaladriel
Racer

Originally Posted by Dynra Rockets
That is the part number I used. I bought on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...031-L&_sacat=0

I see the amazon unit comes with the bolts so price is about the same as the bolts purchased separately are about $8.

Notice the unit pictured has the staggered mounting holes. You need to verify that your block has strait or staggered and buy appropriately. Your engine should also have the 168 tooth flywheel if OEM but verify before purchase
Thanks! I'll check all that tonight when I remove the old one.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:05 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,333 Likes on 965 Posts

I would check if there is a local rebuilder in your area. I have had my starters and alts rebuilt locally. The shop I use replaces the bearings, brushes and solenoids and bead blasts the case for less than $100. The alts are the same price with new electronics as well. Turn around time is same day or next. The stuff from the discount stores may have been refurbished many many times. Most don't replace bearings etc. Jerry
The following 2 users liked this post by Tampa Jerry:
interpon (10-08-2020), pigfarmer (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 12:10 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,067 Likes on 984 Posts

Hey SonofGaladriel: beautiful car!!!

Some good advice here. I would add one thought......... When you pull the old starter, there is a chance that it might be the original. If it is, I would suggest that you keep it and just pay the core charge. If it's the original, you might want to rebuild it when you have time. Check the solenoid too.........

Have fun! Paul
The following 2 users liked this post by Hopper12:
ntfday (10-08-2020), pigfarmer (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 01:58 PM
SonOfGaladriel
Racer

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
I would check if there is a local rebuilder in your area. I have had my starters and alts rebuilt locally. The shop I use replaces the bearings, brushes and solenoids and bead blasts the case for less than $100. The alts are the same price with new electronics as well. Turn around time is same day or next. The stuff from the discount stores may have been refurbished many many times. Most don't replace bearings etc. Jerry
No luck finding a rebuilder. All of the shops I called said buying an already refurbed one is so cheap that they quit rebuilding them.
Old 10-08-2020, 02:33 PM
Earthquake Driver
Safety Car

Location: I buy all my days at the same place where the girl sells her nights
Received 93 Likes on 44 Posts

rockauto
Old 10-08-2020, 03:40 PM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

I just purchased a rebuilt starter at NAPA and kept the original one that came with my car.
Old 10-08-2020, 04:03 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,642 Posts

If you go through Summit, there is no core charge and free shpg. I just swapped mine out this summer. Went with a Power Master, for about $120. Gobs of torque and came with the high heat ceramic, solenoid terminal cap. Those can handle more exhaust heat than the cheap black units.

Tag your wires with masking tape and a Sharpie for location purposes later.

You may not have enough "hand" room to disconnect the wire harness before dropping the starter. So, have all your sockets, nut drivers ready to unhook the wires while still holding on to a unbolted starter.

I agree with others that if its a old GM Delco to hang on to it for future rebuild someday.

Get notified of new replies

To Need a new starter. Auto Zone brand okay? Other recommendations?

Old 10-08-2020, 04:27 PM
SonOfGaladriel
Racer

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
If you go through Summit, there is no core charge and free shpg. I just swapped mine out this summer. Went with a Power Master, for about $120. Gobs of torque and came with the high heat ceramic, solenoid terminal cap. Those can handle more exhaust heat than the cheap black units.

Tag your wires with masking tape and a Sharpie for location purposes later.

You may not have enough "hand" room to disconnect the wire harness before dropping the starter. So, have all your sockets, nut drivers ready to unhook the wires while still holding on to a unbolted starter.

I agree with others that if its a old GM Delco to hang on to it for future rebuild someday.
Thank you for the tips!
Old 10-08-2020, 04:42 PM
SonOfGaladriel
Racer

Just to confirm before I order, is there any difference between the cast iron or silver colored starters?
Old 10-08-2020, 06:42 PM
Eric P
Drifting

Received 427 Likes on 295 Posts

yep

Quick Reply: Need a new starter. Auto Zone brand okay? Other recommendations?