Sponsored by:

81 gas tank....

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2020, 07:04 PM
Richard Cooper
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default 81 gas tank....

If I remove the bolts from the tank straps can I lower the tank and let it sit on top of the mufflers? I am trying to replace the sending unit but cannot get my hands through the opening in the top to reach the hoses to disconnect them. TIA
Old 09-26-2020, 08:19 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,608 Posts

Have you read through this link?
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-removal.html
Old 09-27-2020, 07:14 AM
Richard Cooper
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MelWff
MelWff,
Yes, I have read those reply's, but I want just lower my tank a little to make it easier to replace the hoses, I cannot get my hands in the opening to reach the hose clamps. I just want to know if I remove the tank straps will be able to just drop the tank a little. Thanks for your reply. I just turned 75 and am trying to make things a little easier for me.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:11 PM
righthanddrive
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

Is your tank empty of fuel ? Each gallon of gas weighs 6 pounds, along with the weight of the tank , so lifting it back up is as much of a concern. It might be best to ask for help from a neighbor or other family member with smaller hands
Old 09-27-2020, 08:22 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 802 Likes on 550 Posts

On my 78 if you remove the screws/bolts holding the sending unit down, you can turn the unit in either direction which would make it wasier to undo the hoses. Once that's done, a quarter turn counter clockwise and the unit will come out ( wiht a little twisting). When putting it back, the screws are not symmetric so line up the gassket before you put the unit back in. All in all, that seems easier than dropping the tank. Or do as mentioned above, ask for a helping hand. I am sure some youngster would love to hear about your vette...
Old 09-28-2020, 07:00 AM
Richard Cooper
Melting Slicks

Thank you all for the reply's. I am removing the cross member that holds the back of the tank in place so that I can lower the tank and let it rest on top of the mufflers. I need to replace the two 1/4" hoses and the one 3/8" hose that are attached to the sending unit. So, lowering the tank will allow me to reach in and get the hose clamps off.
So, thanks again. Stay safe.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:17 AM
HeyMikey
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Richard, just want to mention that there are usually 4 hoses...the 3 that connect to the sending unit are all easily visible through the lid and are much easier to remove if you also remove the plastic ring (held on with 4 screws) that the gas lid rests on when closed...The single vent hose on the LEFT attaches to a T fitting on the tank that vents the tank and on the other side of that T is the fourth small section of hose that attaches to the vent return line which runs along the driver's side frame rail up to the vapor tank under the master cylinder. Its standard fuel hose, so if you're like me and these haven't been touched in 40+ years, they are extremely tough and brittle and will not simply pull off, they will need to be cut or broken...once the sending unit is out, you can replace the hoses with newer more pliable ones that won't give you a headache to reattach. Good luck and have fun!

Old 09-28-2020, 08:41 PM
Richard Cooper
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by HeyMikey
Hi Richard, just want to mention that there are usually 4 hoses...the 3 that connect to the sending unit are all easily visible through the lid and are much easier to remove if you also remove the plastic ring (held on with 4 screws) that the gas lid rests on when closed...The single vent hose on the LEFT attaches to a T fitting on the tank that vents the tank and on the other side of that T is the fourth small section of hose that attaches to the vent return line which runs along the driver's side frame rail up to the vapor tank under the master cylinder. Its standard fuel hose, so if you're like me and these haven't been touched in 40+ years, they are extremely tough and brittle and will not simply pull off, they will need to be cut or broken...once the sending unit is out, you can replace the hoses with newer more pliable ones that won't give you a headache to reattach. Good luck and have fun!
Thank you for that info, I will change the 4th hose tomorrow.

Get notified of new replies

To 81 gas tank....

Quick Reply: 81 gas tank....