Sponsored by:

1975 c3

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 01:34 PM
AER
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1975 c3

Hi all. I'm a new member to the forum and have a question for anyone who would like to chime in. I'd also like to apologize in advance if this has already been spoken of.
I've always been a fan of the C3s and always wanted one of course. Life has always gotten in the way but now I've started my search. I've found bunch and they're either out of my price range or they're gone before I have a chance to set up an appointment to see it. I also realize that time waits for no man and the pickings are getting slimmer. There is a 75 that I've had my eyes on and it is still available ( key word, "still" ). I've done some research and was heart broken to find out that the 75 Corvette was not held in high regards and to boot, it made the top ten list of " Worst Corvettes". As a matter of fact, the seller even mentioned to me, "... you know the issues and bad rap about the 75s right?". This got me thinking and hence why I haven't made an attempt to go and check it out yet. So my question is this: is the 75 Corvette really that bad? I can understand if this was 1975 because of what the buyers of the time were expecting from GM perhaps, but would it be a bad buy today, in 2020? What am I missing here?
I'm not a collector nor do I tinker with cars so it's not a hobby either. This would be a toy that I would drive daily to work, to the grocery store, on a Sunday afternoon, etc during the summer. As I mentioned, I've always wanted one but I wouldn't want to finally jump at an opportunity and buy something that I'm going to regret.
Am I on the right path in my thinking or should I just shut up and buy it ( as long as it's in reasonably good shape)?
Thanks
Old 07-29-2020, 01:53 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Not sure what you have read specifically pointing to the 75 as top 10 worst Corvettes.
Each car has to be evaluated individually by the prospective buyer rather than believe generalizations.
There are guides on this site to help in buying a Corvette and you should look through them.
If you are not sure have the car inspected by someone familiar with them, a local Corvette club would be a great resource.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...orvette-3.html

Last edited by MelWff; 07-29-2020 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-29-2020, 01:56 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts

AER. IMHO NO C-3 is a 'bad' car, nor one of the worst. THAT is reserved for the C-4's! (impervious flame-suit due to being THERE at it's introduction!)...

However; 1974 has some distinct advantages; Last REAL dual exhaust. One year body style without the 'silly' black bumperettes that festooned the 75-79's.
1975 was the lowest of the horsepower curve, but as a daily driver, that does not matter. The L-48 gets little respect even though it is a CLASSIC SBC. Reminding all;
'You DRIVE TORQUE, you SPEED horsepower"...so as a daily, still a 7-8 second car and pleasant to drive.
NEXT; Exhibit PATIENCE! The C-3 product line was appx 542,000 units.
Appx 30,000 were made EVERY YEAR 74,75,76,77 etc. One will pop-up.
Unkahal says "never buy a car when you WANT it, buy a car when it is thrust upon you!"
There is basically no real difference between a 75 and a 76.

75's tend to be cheaper...somehow they have gotten that reputation. I would like to skew that reputation towards "the most affordable C-3". When it comes to performance a 75 Manual will 'beat' a 77 slush box, all things else being equal.

Wait it out, be diligent in your search, be patient!

YOUR CAR WILL COME TO YOU! Good luck! Cool your Jets!

Unkahal

Old 07-29-2020, 02:47 PM
davidchristopher
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by AER
Hi all. I'm a new member to the forum and have a question for anyone who would like to chime in. I'd also like to apologize in advance if this has already been spoken of.
I've always been a fan of the C3s and always wanted one of course. Life has always gotten in the way but now I've started my search. I've found bunch and they're either out of my price range or they're gone before I have a chance to set up an appointment to see it. I also realize that time waits for no man and the pickings are getting slimmer. There is a 75 that I've had my eyes on and it is still available ( key word, "still" ). I've done some research and was heart broken to find out that the 75 Corvette was not held in high regards and to boot, it made the top ten list of " Worst Corvettes". As a matter of fact, the seller even mentioned to me, "... you know the issues and bad rap about the 75s right?". This got me thinking and hence why I haven't made an attempt to go and check it out yet. So my question is this: is the 75 Corvette really that bad? I can understand if this was 1975 because of what the buyers of the time were expecting from GM perhaps, but would it be a bad buy today, in 2020? What am I missing here?
I'm not a collector nor do I tinker with cars so it's not a hobby either. This would be a toy that I would drive daily to work, to the grocery store, on a Sunday afternoon, etc during the summer. As I mentioned, I've always wanted one but I wouldn't want to finally jump at an opportunity and buy something that I'm going to regret.
Am I on the right path in my thinking or should I just shut up and buy it ( as long as it's in reasonably good shape)?
Thanks
(1) Important- finish filling out your profile - knowing where you are can help a lot.

(2) I've heard that crap about the '75s too - but they're comparing NEW cars, not old ones. You wanna compare a 75 against a 69 or a 70? Okay, yeah. But on it's own, if it's in good shape then you've got yourself a great starting point.

A *lot* can be done with a small block. My '73 numbers matching L48 will be making close to, if not over 400hp and 400lb of torque when I'm done - that's after a rebuild mind you - but you can easily take her up to a respectable 250-300 hp with home-mechanic tools and some research.

And since a 75 will come cheap with the 'bad rep', you can put a little money into it - and continue to upgrade it over time as you learn.

(3) Do NOT rush. Time waits for no man, yes, but time is the enemy of impulse - so find yourself a good car, the right car. Don't worry about the 'ooh I want this one right NOW' feeling - be pragmatic. You'll have your *** wrapped in glass in no time.

(4)

Last edited by davidchristopher; 07-29-2020 at 02:50 PM. Reason: ADDED #4
Old 07-29-2020, 02:50 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by AER
…it made the top ten list of " Worst Corvettes"...
Who cares?

...is the 75 Corvette really that bad?...
No. And a 75 convertible is even better.

The following users liked this post:
crb1961 (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 03:17 PM
gguillot
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by AER
I'm not a collector nor do I tinker with cars so it's not a hobby either. This would be a toy that I would drive daily to work, to the grocery store, on a Sunday afternoon, etc during the summer.
This is the key statement from your post. If you like the look of the '75, and IF it is in great shape, it might be the perfect C3 for you. 2 major differences from earlier C3's - the front & rear bumpers and the exhaust (1975 was the first year for catalytic converters and metal floors.) If these are of no concern for you, then go for the '75. Honestly, based on your post, look for the car in the absolute best shape - you'll get the C3 experience without the hassles of constant repair. Just keep in mind, even a '75 is still a 45 year old car - there will be ongoing repair issues, same for any car of that age.
Old 07-29-2020, 04:49 PM
SVASSH
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

Having just bought my 74 Convertible and previously doing several cars and trucks down to the frame and back up I would offer this advise. Get the best car you can afford especially if you intend to daily drive it. Don't worry so much about year unless you are spending $30K plus and wanting a model that 'may' potentially appreciate. I wanted a chrome bumper car but ran across my 74 from an owner that had already spent over $20K of his own money upgrading the suspension, rebuilding the motor, transmission and brakes, new interior, top etc. I was looking for a car in the $20K range that did not need anything pressing but ran nice, drove and stopped straight and did not technically need anything I could not handle on my own. Most every year has something unique about it for my 74 it was the first all rubber bumper car and only year with the split rear bumper. I hated that split the first time I saw it, now I smile at it every time I walk into the garage.

These are 4-5 decade old cars at this point and will almost always need something or have something you'll want to tweak. Don't buy it as an investment, buy it because it makes you smile.
The following 2 users liked this post by SVASSH:
crb1961 (07-29-2020), red topless gator (07-31-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 05:20 PM
vet8t8
Cruising

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have enjoyed my 75 and it seems to attract attention at shows. Go for it, you won't regret it.
The following 3 users liked this post by vet8t8:
78EAGLE2B (08-06-2020), gguillot (07-30-2020), jgilevettes (07-31-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 07:43 PM
Mod75
Le Mans Master

Received 570 Likes on 286 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

If you like the looks of the 75 go for it, its not the fastest car on the block but a fun car to drive
I have had my 75 for 45 years now.
Old 07-29-2020, 07:53 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Most the people that say that stuff are...well the corvette crowd haha.
Nothing wrong with any year, as said they are real old so get one thats totally been gone through.
Drivetrain, suspension bushings, brakes, electronics work etc. Thats where the value is at....in Ca 75s are good as thats the newest yr you can own without having to smog.

Its all about what has been done to the car and how its maintained.
If you arent a tinkerer Id suggest asking a local member go with you to look at it, dont worry about all the "rare" numbers match stuff you just want a solid well sorted out one

Long term owners are usually the best to buy from. Theres still plenty out there, matter of how far you can travel. Too old to be buying sight unseen.
Old 07-30-2020, 05:47 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,173 Likes on 2,356 Posts

The worst Corvette in your garage is still better to look at, and more fun to drive*, than 95% of all the cars on the road today. A few genuine C3 snobs will look down on it. But to anyone on the street, especially people who remember them new, it'll be a cool "Stingray", and 75 was the next-to-last year for the emblems on the side. It's the first year for catalytic converters, and engine performance continued to slip from the late 60s high point. We don't have high-octane leaded gas at the corner Shell station anymore, so who cares about that?

You've gotten some great advice above. Go look at some. I won't say the right one will find you, you have to do the work. I will say that you can create your own "luck", by educating yourself knowing what you want, and buying it when it becomes available.

A 1976 Corvette was the hero car in Cannonball!, and an anachronistic 1977 "Stingray" was the hero car in Game Night (highly recommended)

*Only true with a manual transmission

Last edited by Bikespace; 07-30-2020 at 05:49 AM.
Old 07-30-2020, 05:57 AM
jgilevettes
Burning Brakes

Received 795 Likes on 387 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Get what you want... Really no one but you really knows what you have... I have a '70 convertible big block and I cant tell you how many people always want to venture a guess... Is that a '75, a '79, a '63 etc.... To most everyone except the corvette world no one has any idea what year they are. Don't pay any attention to the horsepower.... Todays minivan will blow my 454/390 off the line all the way to top end speed... They are not fast in todays world... In fact, they are very slow.... Find a '75 that is in good running shape and don't look back.
shenango (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 09:41 AM
shenango
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by jgilevettes
Get what you want... Really no one but you really knows what you have... I have a '70 convertible big block and I cant tell you how many people always want to venture a guess... Is that a '75, a '79, a '63 etc.... To most everyone except the corvette world no one has any idea what year they are. Don't pay any attention to the horsepower.... Todays minivan will blow my 454/390 off the line all the way to top end speed... They are not fast in todays world... In fact, they are very slow.... Find a '75 that is in good running shape and don't look back.

The above post makes more sense than most would ever accomplish. I recently sold my 75 and the guy was extremely lucky. He pulled into my drive and fell in love with my car. Within 3 hours it was sitting in his drive and his face was hurting from grinning so much. On my car, all the normal areas of rust are solid as a rock. As long as the car you are looking at is solid everything else is relatively easy to repair. Even though the Corvette has a certain mystique it is still a Chebby. If you buy one get yourself an assembly manual and a good repair manual for the Vette and you will, with those books and the help of the guys and girls on this forum, be able to keep it on the road and purring like a kitten.
Jerry
Old 07-30-2020, 10:27 AM
DavidandJoansVette
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

I am very happy with my 77 L-48 automatic. It has a bunch of 1 year only parts which can lead to hair pulling. Whatever you do get the frame and birdcage checked out. Absolutely the first thing to get checked. The AIM and Service Manual purchases are an absolute must. As others have said take your time. I replaced my factory catalytic converter this spring with a high performance one from Willcox. Seemed to improve performance.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:46 AM
Eric P
Drifting

Received 428 Likes on 296 Posts

maybe in 1975 it was considered the worse Vette because of the exhaust and Catalytic Converter robbed even more power than previous years ? It took all manufacturors (not just GM) a slow learning curve to get the power back and still meet EPA emissions .
Now go look at that 75 real good , take bunches of pictures and report back , a good Vette is a good Vette and I don't care what year it is
Old 07-30-2020, 12:05 PM
Sir Keith
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 124 Posts

The '75 made that silly '10 Worst' list for the simple reason that the base L-48 had the lowest horsepower rating of any C3. New industry-wide emissions regulations sapped the power of all new cars in 1975, and the '75 Vette was no exception. A smog pump, a primitive catalytic converter, an exhaust system that looked like dual pipes but was not, these and other factors robbed the power of the '75 Corvette. But was the performance really all that different from the cars that followed? Not so much. And as for the cosmetics, I think that the '75 was and is the prettiest of any of the rubber-bumper C3's, bar none. So if you like the car, don't let other people's opinions dissuade you, and most of all, have fun!
Old 07-30-2020, 01:10 PM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

I bought a '75 last week as a nice summer driver. I've owned several 68-72 cars and while the power isn't there and they lack the chrome bumpers, they are still a blast to cruise in. You will get a lot of thumbs up in it. Don't worry about someone's silly "worst" list. I would rather have any year C3 over the fastest C4 out there.
The following 2 users liked this post by blue67ragtop:
71 Green 454 (07-30-2020), redromo (08-07-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To 1975 c3

Old 07-30-2020, 01:35 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts

I think it was that STUPID 'Car-Guru' shizzle.. They are idiots. Bunch of millennial FLACKS.

Everybody seems to forget that YEAR AFTER YEAR the Corvette was not only voted 'best-sports-car in the USA' But was the fastest AMERICAN CAR.

You cant compare a 2019 ZR-1 to a '75.

ANY C-3 is GREAT!

Unkahal

slammin (08-02-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 04:24 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

First thing, stop reading articles with titles like “10 Worst Corvettes.” I guarantee they are written by idiots who have never owned any of the cars they talk about. They also still live with Mom.

Im not sure why anyone would pick out a ‘75 as significantly different than a ‘74 or a ‘76. And as someone said, at least for 53-82 Corvettes, there are bad cars for sure, not bad years. Look at the car. Early chrome bumper C3s are very cool and resell easier, but are more expensive. Later rubber bumper Corvettes are generally not very powerful, but often have more creature comforts as they get newer and cost a fraction of a comparable 68-72.

Decide what you want, figure out a budget and examine a particular car while determining that particular car’s market value.

And for the record, pickings are not getting slimmer. There are plenty of C3s available in anyone’s price point. It’s very much a buyer’s market. Take advantage of that. And don’t be in a hurry.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:38 PM
Sir Keith
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by vettebuyer6369
... Im not sure why anyone would pick out a ‘75 as significantly different than a ‘74 or a ‘76...
Agreed; they are not significantly different, but there are a few minor differences- that awful seam that bisects the rear bumper in the '74, the lack of cabin vents on the rear deck in the '76...

Quick Reply: 1975 c3