1982 Corvette coming back to life after 23 years of storage

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 12:01 PM
XM5150
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1982 Corvette coming back to life after 23 years of storage

Hey everybody,

Quick background, I recently moved my grandmas 1982 corvette to my house after it had been sitting in her garage for 23 years (covered and rodents weren’t really a problem) and I’m looking to safely drive this again in the next few months. It has been in storage longer than I have been alive.

I am not exactly a master mechanic but I am willing to learn how to do all of it. I have a good friend (much older) that is helping me with this who is much more skilled at it than I am.

The question I’m wanting to ask today is: What do I need to do to get this running safely, and how?

Things we have done
Engine and body clean
Oil change and filter
Removed spare tire holder

Things we are planning on
Draining fuel, putting additive in tank to break down any old gritty fuel
Adding 91 octane fuel (no ethanol)
Brakes
Radiator flush and clean
Transmission fluid flush and clean
The following users liked this post:
KSL '67 101234 (06-01-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 04:10 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,012 Likes on 692 Posts

WOW...nice! Another 82 on its way to being saved. How many miles? Be sure to blow out or replace the fuel lines going forward, fuel pump, rubber hoses etc... When you said rodents, I cringed a bit because usually that isn't good either for the smell of things and the wiring harnesses. I hope your's did not get chewed on. You will need to check that out really good before hitting the key. Got some pics? Is that it in the avatar, the gold one? That's a low production color, but not the lowest. I've only seen one other gold 82 and that was for a 383 upgrade project car we did a long time ago.

Last edited by Buccaneer; 06-01-2020 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:51 PM
XM5150
Heel & Toe

I believe its about 32-38,000 miles! It was my grandma's daily driver for about 10 years or so. Bought it off the showroom floor of the chevy dealer in town. That is the car in my avatar!
My grandpa was probably the only guy who hated rodents more than I do, so there was a lot of poison inside of the engine bay. All cleaned out now, and not very many signs of chewed through wires. The only loose one I can see is along the bottom of the trim on the drivers side. Closer to the air vent to the right of the tire.

Fuel lines definitely need a replacement. The smell of spoiled gas in the gas tank has me worried for the system but probably no big deal. The current plan is to put some additives in the tank to break that grit down and then put some good clean gas in it. Let the old fuel filter pick it up and then replace after a good run or two.

A neighbor of mine is involved in the project too, and suggested I came onto the forums. Yesterday we turned it over a little just to make sure all the things in the engine compartment were functional and the engine wasn't seized! Little things.

My grandma also said that she has only seen one other gold 82 and they saw each other at an intersection. Evidently they were both surprised to see each other. Sadly cannot upload pictures from my PC but I'll try later from my iPhone
Old 06-01-2020, 05:50 PM
XM5150
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Buccaneer
WOW...nice! Another 82 on its way to being saved. How many miles? Be sure to blow out or replace the fuel lines going forward, fuel pump, rubber hoses etc... When you said rodents, I cringed a bit because usually that isn't good either for the smell of things and the wiring harnesses. I hope your's did not get chewed on. You will need to check that out really good before hitting the key. Got some pics? Is that it in the avatar, the gold one? That's a low production color, but not the lowest. I've only seen one other gold 82 and that was for a 383 upgrade project car we did a long time ago.
Tried to use quick reply but I'm not sure how or if it works.

It has about 32,000 or 36,000 miles to her name! Was used as a daily driver for 10 years or so

Fuel system is on our to-do list! Have a shopvac (or possibly my air compressor) that can blow air through the line so that it isnt so gunked up. Going to flush all the other systems too so that way there isnt any hidden sludge that will destroy that engine.

Rodents had me very concerned but my grandpa was probably the only man in the world who hated rodents more than I do. There was evidence of them in there but really no damages... that I can see

That is it in my avatar! Beautiful Corvette gold! Only 600 or so made in the color. My grandma bought it off the showroom in 82. The car payments were more than the house payment lol
Sadly I can't upload any photos from my PC but I will try later on my iPhone
Old 06-02-2020, 12:09 AM
Andy Tuttle
Melting Slicks

Received 392 Likes on 340 Posts

Replace those tire soon - before you do any serious street driving. Even if they look good on the surface they are very likely dangerous and apt to blow and cause a lot of damage to the body. There are several members here that have had that happen. Not worth ruining a great tire over junk tires
slammin (06-03-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 12:44 AM
XM5150
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Andy Tuttle
Replace those tire soon - before you do any serious street driving. Even if they look good on the surface they are very likely dangerous and apt to blow and cause a lot of damage to the body. There are several members here that have had that happen. Not worth ruining a great tire over junk tires
Oh definitely. That’s on our list after we fix the brake system.

What tires would you recommend? Been trying to find some that aren’t too pricey but I love the look of the stock Eagles.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:46 AM
l82vett
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

STOP!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT use a shop vac on the fuel tank or fuel lines. You do know fumes EXPLODE!!!!! with electrical sparks , yes vacuums have unsealed electric motors. On the gas tank, you should be able to look into the tank to see if it is full of crud. If it is remove the tank and flush out with a water hose. If there is old gas put in a proper container to dispose of. New gas or additive will soften the crud but it probably won't do it very fast . You will constantly clog the fuel filter and carb if you don't clean it out. If you pull the tank , put in a short piece of chain and shake the heck out of it , rinse repeat. After 25 years your brake fluid probably isn't there , Be prepared to change out all 4 calipers ,they will start leaking Changing out the rubber brake hoses are a must do, they may look good but they rot from the inside.. As with anything rubber, hoses and belts along with vacuum hose as needed . As mentioned above tires, they may look good , maybe not but tires only have a life expectancy of about 6 safe years . Then they become a blowout waiting to happen. Get it running, Fix the things that will make it safe to drive and don't tear everything apart. Change out things you can afford. First purchase is a Corvette repair manual for the year of your car off E-Bay.
KSL '67 101234 (06-02-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 01:20 AM
XM5150
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by l82vett
STOP!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT use a shop vac on the fuel tank or fuel lines. You do know fumes EXPLODE!!!!! with electrical sparks , yes vacuums have unsealed electric motors. On the gas tank, you should be able to look into the tank to see if it is full of crud. If it is remove the tank and flush out with a water hose. If there is old gas put in a proper container to dispose of. New gas or additive will soften the crud but it probably won't do it very fast . You will constantly clog the fuel filter and carb if you don't clean it out. If you pull the tank , put in a short piece of chain and shake the heck out of it , rinse repeat. After 25 years your brake fluid probably isn't there , Be prepared to change out all 4 calipers ,they will start leaking Changing out the rubber brake hoses are a must do, they may look good but they rot from the inside.. As with anything rubber, hoses and belts along with vacuum hose as needed . As mentioned above tires, they may look good , maybe not but tires only have a life expectancy of about 6 safe years . Then they become a blowout waiting to happen. Get it running, Fix the things that will make it safe to drive and don't tear everything apart. Change out things you can afford. First purchase is a Corvette repair manual for the year of your car off E-Bay.
The shopvac thing was a one-time thing. It was a stupid decision in hindsight.

My partner and I found the tank to have a lot of it in there. We’re going to siphon the majority of it out, then put the additives and new gas in it to get as much of it broken down as possible. Probably going to rinse and repeat the siphoning to get it out.
We found that dropping the fuel tank just wasn’t worth the trouble of dropping the entire exhaust system to get to it.

I was recommended by my neighbor, an owner of a C2 to completely replace the brake master cylinder. It’s full of gunk and quite frankly not worth trying to clean or flush. He also said to get a professional to clean it through and through so I’d have a spare

Repair manual from 82 is on its way! I’ve seen that it’s the CorvetteForums “Bible.” And for good reason. What tires do you recommend I run on my car?

Thank you for your advice and directions!
Old 06-02-2020, 08:52 AM
DavidandJoansVette
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Good luck with the 82. Take it step by step and you will be fine. Factory repair manual is a must. I would also recommend the Assembly Manual. As for tires I run Cooper Cobras on my 77.
XM5150 (06-02-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 10:40 AM
Mark G
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 339 Posts

Once you get the fuel system cleaned/figured out, consider getting a syringe from Walgreens and a long hose and try to squirt oil into the BACK of the cylinder wall so it runs down. Not too much, just a little. Pull the wire clips on the connections to the distributor so you can turn it over w/o starting. Put the oil in the cylinders and turn it over promptly to spread the oil around. Crank it a bunch to get oil pressure (after you've replaced the oil/filter with new).

Replace all over filters. Check/replace vacuum hoses. Check PVC to ensure it's not stuck open or closed.

After you have it running I would probably pull the plugs after it cools down enough, and do a compression test. Not that you think theres a problem, but it'll cross off one of those (what if's?) that might linger in your mind. If you find out if they're all in the 'good' range then you don't have to continually ask yourself if it's an issues when you run into other issues down the road.
XM5150 (06-02-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 01:05 PM
nearflack
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by XM5150
Oh definitely. That’s on our list after we fix the brake system.

What tires would you recommend? Been trying to find some that aren’t too pricey but I love the look of the stock Eagles.
Stock eagle GT are pricey if you can find them. Here is one retailer https://www.topflightautomotive.com/...SABEgJpL_D_BwE

I put B.F. Goodrich Radial T/As on my 1980. Same situation as you old eagle GTs had lots of tread but dry rotted due to age.
XM5150 (06-02-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 01:17 PM
l82vett
Racer

If your master cylinder is gummed up so are the brake calipers.
XM5150 (06-02-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 02:11 PM
XM5150
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by DavidandJoansVette
Good luck with the 82. Take it step by step and you will be fine. Factory repair manual is a must. I would also recommend the Assembly Manual. As for tires I run Cooper Cobras on my 77.
Thank you! I do like the look of the Cobras. I've ordered the repair manual and should be in pretty soon.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:13 PM
XM5150
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by l82vett
If your master cylinder is gummed up so are the brake calipers.
Would you recommend replacing the calipers then as well? Or is it a "see and decide?"
Old 06-02-2020, 02:46 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,012 Likes on 692 Posts

Not sure if I sent you a PM or not, but I will. You have a great project and at least you know the history of the car which is very good. Take your time.
Here is the ONLY company that still makes the original GY GT tires for that car. They are the original molds from Goodyear and bought by Kelsey tire poured by Goodyear. They are pricey, but great tires for an 82 for sure. Eagle GT Tires
XM5150 (06-03-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 03:33 PM
l82vett
Racer

[QUOTE=XM5150;1601607859]Would you recommend replacing the calipers then as well? Or is it a "see and decide?"[/QUOT

It really depends if the seals dried out. First try loosening the bleeders, if they don't break off after replacing the master cylinder put in some fluid and flush them out 1 at a time Basically bleeding the system. Before all that just look at each one for signs of old leakage. If there clean give it a try. If not don't waste your brake fluid, just replace the caliper / calipers. As I noted on another above post the rubber hoses to the caliper should be replaced as they rot from the inside and will either blow out or act like a check valve not releasing the fluid pushed into the caliper.
XM5150 (06-03-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 04:16 PM
kingkohlmn
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

I hope you purchased the GM manual and not the Haynes? You need the year specific manual. Also like DavidandJoan said, get the AIM, Assembly Instruction Manual. With those two and this forum you've set yourself up for success. Good luck, welcome.
KSL '67 101234 (06-02-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To 1982 Corvette coming back to life after 23 years of storage

Old 06-02-2020, 07:51 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,334 Posts

Visiting from the C2/C1 forum where your neighbor mentioned you and your car. Many old Corvettes are "saved" there.

Gas tanks are often cheaper to replace than to properly clean (and safer).

The brake calipers are easily rebuildable, but if the piston bores are shot, the local FLAPS can get you rebuilt ones cheaply with turning in your cores.

Master cylinders are cheaply rebuilt, but are not expensive to buy new.

If the brake lines were kept full of DOT3 that when bled out seems free of any particle contaminants or can be flushed free of any tiny particles, they can possibly reused if the exteriors are not corroded badly which is unlikely. If not, replace all the brake lines (PITA job).

Be wary of 40 year old wiring. Insulation brakes down and can cause shorts and fires.

If the engine has not run in years, consider oiling the cylinders (like Kroil) through the spark plug holes, let it sit awhile, try turning it over manually through use of the crank pulley bolt. Consider replacing all the rubber hoses before trying to start it, as Bakersfield is pretty dry.

Good Luck!

XM5150 (06-03-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 08:29 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

They say a 40 year old car needs every piece of rubber fluid passes through. T-top seals included! On the brakes, after replacing the 4 rubber hoses and bleeding or rebuilding the cylinders, hit the brakes like a 2 year old stepped in front of you. Try to blow a line. If there is a weak corroded stress cracked line, you wanna find out when you are not moving.
XM5150 (06-03-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 08:51 PM
Gavin65
Drifting

Received 745 Likes on 490 Posts

I’m here visiting from the C1/C2 forum as well, the advice you have been given so far is on point, Easy Rhino’ advice about replacing the tank and calipers are time savers and will not break the bank, if the car was stored in a dry environment the damage
from sitting for so long would be far less than something stored in wet humid environment.
this may seem overwhelming but if you take one piece at a time and finish it to completion, and not start several projects at the same time ,
it won’t be as overwhelming as it seems and you have the satisfaction of knowing you finished a piece of a greater puzzle, good luck, I will check in from time to time.
XM5150 (06-03-2020)

Quick Reply: 1982 Corvette coming back to life after 23 years of storage