RockAuto...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 11:59 AM
7t5
Le Mans Master

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default RockAuto...

is not a good place for C3 parts. I ordered spark plugs from them and they were wrong for my car, even though the plugs were listed as correct. They also sent me a fuel pump that was incorrect for the vette, but was plainly listed as correct.

Both times I have had to pay for return shipping, which means I could have bought local for about the same price. I sent them an email complaining about this, but so far nothing but silence on their end.

They have taught me a lesson. Use them to price shop, then buy local or from a CF vendor specializing in Corvettes.
The following users liked this post:
lowbuck72 (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 12:07 PM
Johnnycyclone
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

I had the same kind of problems with them. Hit or miss on whether or not it would be the correct part. Not worth the trouble to save a few $$$$.
lowbuck72 (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 12:10 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,893 Likes on 2,564 Posts

I buy from them all of the time if I know that the listing is solid that I am purchasing.
But I will tell you from experience.......25 years ago, if you walked into a parts store wanting a fuel pump for a Corvette, you will be walking back in three more times.
Vette fuel pumps are notoriously all over the map......only way is to match the unit that's on it as far as I am concerned.
As for plugs.....I buy by part# only on vintage stuff.
You have to outsmart their catalog to get what you need sometimes and have some savvy.......
BUT....sometimes there is no hope.....like the 94' K1500 350 5 speed 4x4 I am working on right now........I ordered three A/C condensers form them before I finally got one that was right.
It is not Rock Auto so as much as you simply can't match the parts........I even ordered an AC delco for it and it was wrong.
Although sometimes you win big, like the 2011 Kia Soul I put an A/C compressor on......EVERYONE wanted $320-350 for this compressor regardless of brand......I saw an OEM Kia part on Rock for $195....no description, just a picture...I ordered it and it was OEM Kia perfect match......I marked it up $50 and saved my customer $100....because I was willing to research.
YRMV.
And I don't know about you.....but my parts store quit matching internet prices about 8 years ago.......
Also...most people do not know this but Summit racing handles OEM parts too.....just punch in a part# or use their look up. I bought a whole Cloyes Timing set for the Stepdaughters 2013 GMC Terrain for $392 from them.......local was $600 and Rock didn't stock it. Just FYI.
I don't buy too much vintage stuff from them.....

Jebby

Last edited by Jebbysan; 05-29-2020 at 12:12 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jebbysan:
71 Green 454 (05-29-2020), Big2Bird (05-30-2020), Mark G (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 12:10 PM
Aquarian
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts

They have taught me a lesson. Use them to price shop, then buy local or from a CF vendor specializing in Corvettes.

Absolutely!!!! Always better to deal with people that understand these special cars. Especially since most all part numbers have been changed or superseded from the original.
Best advise is to find someone you like, understands the product and stick with them.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:37 PM
Eliredandblack
Drifting

Received 435 Likes on 364 Posts

For what it’s worth! I ordered a new clutch & pressure plate for my 73 SB from Summit. Then my Shop tells me I need a new flywheel, so I realize there were several choices for my new clutch/tranny. So I call Summit and speak with a rep over the phone, who then orders the new one for me. When it Arrives at my home, I drive 15 miles to the shop and leave it with them. I get a call back from my shop telling me the flywheel is the wrong diameter. I called my Corvette repair shop they told me the correct part number. This time I had the flywheel shipped straight to them. So now,
I am a little mad and figure that I will call Summit and try to get them to Knock off the return shipping cost. After waiting on the phone 25 minutes, I gave up. Go figure, sometimes their employees don’t t know sh_t, but heaven forbid they should ask for help.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:44 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

I call it "become your own valet counterman" ... learn the parts & catalogs.

Then price shop for a "part number" ... but you're the counterman and the fit's on you. I'm good with that caveat.

fwiw, spent some time doing so for others both pre-computer behind a real counter and since on this forum.

If you have neither time or inclination for above, source per local parts house or forum sponsor.
The following 2 users liked this post by jackson:
3154tm (05-30-2020), Big2Bird (05-30-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 01:00 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,647 Posts

What I don't like about local car part stores, is the first thing they want is the VIN. I tell them, that's not going to help. I do not have a Quadra, stock heads, stock exhaust, stock anything. The counter person is always lost without a VIN. Quoting: "I can't look-up the part w/o a VIN".

What I don't like about the huge box stores such as Smmt and Jgs is the shpng costs. A $12 part ends up being $22. I usually wait till I have a $100 worth for free shpg.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:09 PM
jbaron
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 C3 of the Year Finalist

So far I’ve never had a problem.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:25 PM
interpon
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,038 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Rock auto is hit and miss there is no way you’re speaking to an actual human being I just went through return on some ball joints because it was missing a part in it I made the mistake of asking for the part to be replaced instead of just refunding it and returning it which by the way they pay for. What’s cool about rock auto is for example if you look at belts or wiper blades many many times you will see close outs of major brands like Carquest Napa and other types of brands that are USA made and go for like $1.50.
So if you’re running in trouble just re-order the part I got the part to work fine and then I pretended like I return the part that I just ordered and sent it back to him because there’s no way you’re changing anything once you put it in electronically there’s not one human being you can talk to
Old 05-29-2020, 03:00 PM
Black72GTS
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

I haven't had a problem, yet. I always use Rockauto to price shop, and always cross-reference the part numbers. Anything I want to order through them I make absolutely sure that other sites acknowledge the part is correct. I have done this for my C3, C5, Ranger, Accord, and Gran Torino.
vairxpert (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 03:09 PM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 829 Likes on 661 Posts

I have not had an issue yet and I saved quite a bit on my shocks for the c3 there last year.. Plus they dont carry counterfeit stuff which meant for example, the NGK iridium plugs I bought for my Ridgeline were not knock offs which are prone to explode as many on the honda forums have discovered about many of the ebay and even amazon sellers. The local store want literally twice the price.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:16 PM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 829 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
What I don't like about local car part stores, is the first thing they want is the VIN. I tell them, that's not going to help. I do not have a Quadra, stock heads, stock exhaust, stock anything. The counter person is always lost without a VIN. Quoting: "I can't look-up the part w/o a VIN".

What I don't like about the huge box stores such as Smmt and Jgs is the shpng costs. A $12 part ends up being $22. I usually wait till I have a $100 worth for free shpg.
I second this... I had the local oil change place flat out refuse to change the oil in my c3 because it had a rebuilt 355 in it... they were like "its not the original engine and without the tag to tell us how much oil and what type of filter we cant touch it. So I mention the engine is from a 76 gmc hd2500 truck as thats where I got the bare block before the rebuild and still no luck.... Scary how compartmentalized everything has become.. if you dont fit into their boxed criteria your an unknown and they cant or wont help even when the answer is clear or you already know whats needed.

Last edited by augiedoggy; 05-29-2020 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:34 PM
kingkohlmn
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Got burned one time with Rock on a return item. I purchase the wrong clutch for my fan on my 78. Surprisingly there are a few different ones. When I tried to return it, I found the questions to return the item almost intentionally misleading and confusing. I selected the wrong answer/response and I was locked and could not return it.
But, I purchased all my moog front suspension parts from Rock and saved a lot. I've had good and bad with Rock. Hey we do get the magnetic stickers with every order.
interpon (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 04:46 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,150 Likes on 2,079 Posts

Originally Posted by Jebbysan
I buy from them all of the time if I know that the listing is solid that I am purchasing.
But I will tell you from experience.......25 years ago, if you walked into a parts store wanting a fuel pump for a Corvette, you will be walking back in three more times.....
Jebby

Never had an issue, I've used them for a bunch of stuff like ball-joints air filters, wiper blades, etc etc, etc. for both my vette and daily drivers... but I know the part numbers I want before opening the site. I do the same with going into NAPA, I already researched and found the part I want and then if it's a mistake it's mine.
A MOOG K6035 and K6034 is what I want, not what their computer may or may not suggest is for my car.
Plus I'm having it shipped up to Canada so I make sure it know what I'm getting as returns would be a night mare
M
The following 2 users liked this post by Mooser:
jackson (05-29-2020), pigfarmer (05-30-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 06:49 PM
67:72
1967 Pedal Car Champion
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,018 Likes on 1,363 Posts

Originally Posted by kingkohlmn
Got burned one time with Rock on a return item. I purchase the wrong clutch for my fan on my 78. Surprisingly there are a few different ones. When I tried to return it, I found the questions to return the item almost intentionally misleading and confusing. I selected the wrong answer/response and I was locked and could not return it.
But, I purchased all my moog front suspension parts from Rock and saved a lot. I've had good and bad with Rock. Hey we do get the magnetic stickers with every order.
I had the same computer lock-out when looking to return a pair of mismatched engine mounts. Their return reason choices didn't fit my situation and I clicked what I thought would be the closest reason. Then I got the message to return less a charge for a net $10 refund. Soured me on them.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:38 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,167 Likes on 2,351 Posts

I buy from them all the time. I independently confirm the part number (preferably the GM part number), and order that way.

Pro tip: The AC Delco website lets you look up parts, and generate part numbers, that you can then order from Rock Auto (and elsewhere). For example, Delco fuel pump, 1970-1981, part 41240. At RockAuto, that comes up as an Airtex pump, 41240, and even gives the original GM part number, 6441240 (I don't have my book handy, so someone else can check). $23- at Rock Auto.

Zip lists the same part (41240) for that application.

What fuel pump did you buy?
Old 05-29-2020, 08:50 PM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

Use them every time I can. Never a problem. Had one ball joint come without a grease fitting. No biggie.

Get notified of new replies

To RockAuto...

Old 05-29-2020, 10:15 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 897 Likes on 781 Posts

They're quite good but you have to quadruple-verify the part number before you order. Cannot beat their prices.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:29 PM
7t5
Le Mans Master

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Bikespace
I buy from them all the time. I independently confirm the part number (preferably the GM part number), and order that way.

Pro tip: The AC Delco website lets you look up parts, and generate part numbers, that you can then order from Rock Auto (and elsewhere). For example, Delco fuel pump, 1970-1981, part 41240. At RockAuto, that comes up as an Airtex pump, 41240, and even gives the original GM part number, 6441240 (I don't have my book handy, so someone else can check). $23- at Rock Auto.

Zip lists the same part (41240) for that application.

What fuel pump did you buy?
DELPHI MF0026 {#6440769, 6470308} Mechanical with 3 Line Pump; with 4BBL QuadraJet Carburetor.

It was 3/8" shorter than stock and the holes were not finished to correct size. The bolts would not fit in the holes.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:11 PM
lowbuck72
Drifting

Received 468 Likes on 274 Posts

Got burned 3 times from rock auto. When their description is wrong, they make you pay for return shipping, and won't admit it's their problem. And even when you track down what you are sure are the right parts, you often get dinged on shipping because although you order 3 different but related parts, they usually come from separate warehouses and your pay separate shipping charges. I have the best luck with Auto Zone because you can check online and outsmart the system, check on hands at several locations,, then go down there with part numbers in your hand and make the transaction simple. Plus, the few times I need something one-off, like a custom radiator hose or U joint, they let me in the back and go through their stock. And lastly, their warranty can't be beat. So many items have lifetime warranties and they keep it all on file, recently they replaced a 5 year old leaking brake caliper on my C3, no charge, no questions asked.

Quick Reply: RockAuto...