Gas tank...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 07:32 PM
Richard Cooper
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Gas tank...

Hi,
Does anyone know if there is a large piece of styrofoam above the gas tank to help hold it in place. This is in my 81. TIA
Old 04-19-2020, 10:30 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,336 Posts

The tank is held in place by the two metal straps that go over it, but there is a couple inch wide piece of foam that runs across the top front of the tank. I don't think it has anything to do with holding the tank in place, as GM labels it as "insulation". Where it's at on the tank, I always assumed it was there to keep the tank from rubbing on the interior rear bulkhead.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:02 AM
Richard Cooper
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
The tank is held in place by the two metal straps that go over it, but there is a couple inch wide piece of foam that runs across the top front of the tank. I don't think it has anything to do with holding the tank in place, as GM labels it as "insulation". Where it's at on the tank, I always assumed it was there to keep the tank from rubbing on the interior rear bulkhead.
gbvette62,
Thanks for the reply. I had the tank out about 21 years ago and could not remember what was up above the tank! At 75 years old I happy just to remember my name. Anyway, thanks again. Be safe.

Get notified of new replies

To Gas tank...

Quick Reply: Gas tank...