Wiper door/vent/hood

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 09:35 AM
Johan74
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Wiper door/vent/hood

Hello,
I'm about to correct some gaps at the front end of my hood, but first I need to pin it to the correct location. From there I will add som fiberglass to the front of the hood to close the gap.
I guess the wiper door is where it is and cannot be adjusted, so that will be the fix point.
Then the vent/grille and then the hood.
In the pic the vent is as much forward as it can be, so I assume I need to make new holes for that one. The hood is just laying loose in the pic.
But what is the gap supposed to be between these three?

Old 04-17-2020, 10:02 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,153 Likes on 2,082 Posts

I think I'd install the trim on the fender and get the wiper door to line up with it at the glass edge and then start
IIRC The brackets the vent is bolted to can be moved using shims to where they mount to the trough
It looks like yours need to go forward but with the hood open and the door unknown it's hard to say
M
Old 04-17-2020, 10:32 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Johan74
...But what is the gap supposed to be between these three?...
1/8" to 3/16" if you can get them that close. The AIM has a page for factory acceptable panel gaps. I agree with Mooser; fit your fender trim and mount the hood.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 04-17-2020 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:36 PM
Johan74
Racer

Ok thanks.
The wiper door is more or less ok, if I fit the trim. (And I have the trim on the other side)
It looks like the outer (lower in pic below) brackets for the vent can be moved forward by removing a washer (circled area), but the inner ones I couldn't see by a quick look?
But won't that move the door itself also? It looks like it is connected to the same bracket.
What I want to do is add space between the door and the vent. Now they are at zero distance...

Old 04-17-2020, 01:16 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Yes it'll put it back as well, I thought maybe it was too far to the glass and moving everything that way would put up into the adjustment on the vent
Does the vent sit flush with the fender when closed?, moving the whole system up/down (the brackets hole son the firewall are slotted) will allow the door to move back/forth a little farther as well
On mine I finally got everything to sit good but needed to add some shim under the vent panel
Also, how the gap at the front of the hood?

Lots of moving parts = hard to nail down that one thing you're needing
M
Old 04-17-2020, 03:10 PM
Johan74
Racer

The gap at the front of the hood is bad, it's not even and needs fiberglass (poorly repaired in the past).
I'll try to fix the vent with a 1/8 gap from the door tomorrow, and take it from there.
//Johan
Old 04-18-2020, 10:19 AM
kansas123
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 280 Posts

Wow, honestly, before I moved any brackets, I'd be inclined to further elongate the holes in the vented piece enough to move that piece forward that 1/8th inch (forward, noseward). Did you inherit these problems or were the parts removed to do some work? Just curious
Old 04-18-2020, 10:31 AM
Mooser
Race Director

I'm more interested in figuring out why it won't work the way it was made to first, then deciding if it's easier to fix it or cut it. Trust me there's lots of stuff I end up cutting but it's not the first place I start...
M
Old 04-20-2020, 05:26 AM
Johan74
Racer

I ended up mounting it as much forward as I could and it wasn't really that bad. It is a tight fit, since the door is resting on the vented piece both in the open and the closed position.
The gap in the closed position is tight, maybe 1/8 or a little less.
I had to modify one bracket, #2 from left, slightly. When it was mounted on the other three, that one was off. It was a long time I took this apart and can't really recall how it was. Maybe it was not bolted to all four brackets.
Making the holes in the vented piece just a tad longer could be a good idea though.
Old 04-20-2020, 06:15 PM
Tripower delight
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Johan74
Hello,
I'm about to correct some gaps at the front end of my hood, but first I need to pin it to the correct location. From there I will add som fiberglass to the front of the hood to close the gap.
I guess the wiper door is where it is and cannot be adjusted, so that will be the fix point.
Then the vent/grille and then the hood.
In the pic the vent is as much forward as it can be, so I assume I need to make new holes for that one. The hood is just laying loose in the pic.
But what is the gap supposed to be between these three?

That vent can be moved back and forth
Old 04-20-2020, 07:48 PM
chevygod
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm always interested in threads like these as I'm going to be going through <ALL> of this at some point on my 71.

And as I look through the factory workshop manuals and the AIM, peruse threads like this and then glumly glance at my basket case, I am amazed that these vehicles could be built in any kind of timely makes-financial-sense manner.

Best wishes for a speedy and easy adjustment. As I said, I'll be watching.

Stay safe everyone,
Tom

Get notified of new replies

To Wiper door/vent/hood

Quick Reply: Wiper door/vent/hood