Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CorVolt: The 71 Restomod journey to electric

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2021, 01:31 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,711 Likes on 2,945 Posts

Have you seen the articles regarding Hot Rod Magazine's Project X yellow, '57 Chevy that they converted from a blown big block to an all electric vehicle?
It was just at SEMA.
Cool concept, but I'd rather have the blown motor over the electric.
Old 11-10-2021, 02:31 AM
jokeitch
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

i guess project x is supposed to be a future test platform
but their build is extremely underwhelming. 340hp? that's it? put a motor per axel at the least, motor per wheel preferably, get HP above 1000hp and lets talk
Old 11-10-2021, 12:31 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Over several decades that '57 has been converted so many times.
Once the hype for all electric goes away, it will be something different.
I was shocked and amazed over this past summer during our heat waves in Northern California.
Pacific Gas and Electric was asking people "not to charge their electric vehicles" because the number of electric vehicles being charged was overloading their electrical distribution grid and causing them to shut down power causing rolling blackouts throughout the state.
So far there are very few electric vehicles out on the road.
Can you imagine what it will be like when that number doubles?
I cant wait to see what happens when people can't go to work because the power is out and they can't charge their vehicles.
Old 11-10-2021, 12:53 PM
DblTrbl
Burning Brakes

Received 394 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
I was shocked and amazed over this past summer during our heat waves in Northern California.
Pacific Gas and Electric was asking people "not to charge their electric vehicles" because the number of electric vehicles being charged was overloading their electrical distribution grid and causing them to shut down power causing rolling blackouts throughout the state.
The amount of energy used by charging cars is a tiny fraction of the amount of energy used by air conditioning. I suspect they said to reduce lots of other consumption including charging cars.

How did people get to work during the gas crisis? The problem isn't electric cars, it's not engineering enough capacity, same as gas.
Old 11-10-2021, 01:00 PM
jokeitch
Pro

That's mostly because pge doesn't want to actually do fire prevention stuff, so they just limit power to limit the risk of zaps staring fires. They don't want to get sued again, it's easier to inconvenience everyone than actually solve the problem

also, few people have good a/cs (because heat waves are so rare, yay climate change) so they used super inefficient wall mounted ones bought that week from home Depot or something.

Also basically nobody who owns an ev knows how to do off-peak charging because it's buried in menus. It should default to "charge between midnight and 4am unless the owner explicitly asks otherwise", because they'll push the load way away from peak and pretty much anyone plugging in their car after work isn't driving it again till the following morning

Last edited by jokeitch; 11-10-2021 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-10-2021, 01:32 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

The power companies in California can't provide enough energy to power our homes and they surely won't be able to provide enough energy when everyone is trying to charge their vehicles.
Keep in mind that the average household in California has 3 to 4 drivers, each having their own vehicle.
Another aspect in our state is wild fires during fire season, June through October, the energy companies shut down power to thousands of people for days because of any heat, wind or fire dangers.
During the gas crisis you could get gas on either even or odd days and I never had any issues having enough gas for my cars, but if there is no electricity for days and there is nowhere to get it, what do you think will happen?
I think electric vehicles are great for some people but not the best option for others.
They have their place just like gasoline powered vehicles.
I just don't think there will be a time when there are only electric vehicles sold in this country.
Sorry OP.

Old 11-10-2021, 01:42 PM
jokeitch
Pro

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
I just don't think there will be a time when there are only electric vehicles sold in this country.
Sorry OP.
Well, we don't really have a choice if we want to keep the planet mostly human-livable.

Also I believe it's on the books that new gas car sales will be banned at the federal level by 2035, California might have a 2030 deadline on that, not sure.
The following users liked this post:
Pegan2261 (12-02-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 02:18 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Originally Posted by jokeitch
Well, we don't really have a choice if we want to keep the planet mostly human-livable.

Also I believe it's on the books that new gas car sales will be banned at the federal level by 2035, California might have a 2030 deadline on that, not sure.
And all the states, counties and local jurisdictions will ignore the Federal laws and mandates just like they do now, even during a world wide pandemic and health crisis.
Isn't it still a violation of Federal Law to possess even an ounce of marijuana or LSD?
It is!
How many states have now made it legal to possess these dangerous drugs?
Pegan2261 (12-02-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 02:52 PM
Jchapp
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so politics aside. How is the driveability of the Ec(elec Corvette ooh Elec-Vette)? Is it still pretty balanced or does the weight in the changes affect how it handles? Like no weight in ***-end makes for great burnouts not so much for road courses.
Old 11-15-2021, 08:24 PM
jokeitch
Pro

current working title is Corvolt

my goals are to add as little weight as possible relative to the original curb weight, and keep the weight distribution as close to 50/50 as i can. i'll be thrilled if i can keep under 300 extra pounds

this is partially why I really do not want to go with tesla batteries as to get enough power density that i don't get voltage sag on every hard pull, i HAVE to use A FULL SET of 16 modules, which is both 1) expensive as *** and 2)damn heavy

stretch goal for the whole thing is to make this into an autocross weapon that'll double as a smooth low maintenance low running cost daily

Last edited by jokeitch; 11-15-2021 at 08:35 PM.
Pegan2261 (12-02-2021)
Old 11-15-2021, 08:59 PM
M A Fry
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

The solution for blackouts is to install solar panels and battery storage. If the system is large enough you will be able to charge your EV without any problems.
Old 11-18-2021, 07:50 PM
jokeitch
Pro

random update to keep this from being a general evs thread

pulled the trigger on the brains of the operation, the vcu200 motor controller
I'm procrastinating on making a bench test harness which will bring the system online and allow for a sort of "simulated driving" mode given some basic inputs i can either provide or spoof. I should really make a breakout board for all the ****** pins on this thing, but thank **** i only need to use 8 for bench testing.

the AEM guys recommend the throttle pedal from a newer mustang coyote since it's throttle by wire, has nice CAN message outputs, and also uses the newer eddy current sensing system that tesla's been using. It's cheaper, more robust, and more accurate than old potentiometers or hall effect sensors. A good example on ebay is only like $100 to boot
https://www.ebay.com/itm/29442508054...UAAOSwPmdhUwVZ

With a throttle pedal and bench sim functionality i can work on side stuff that doesn't need garage space, like the CAN based digital tachometer swap using a raspberry pi and either pygame, QT, or pidash/tunder studio (not sure yet, but QT has awesome customization and bitchin fast boot times, and is free for hobbyists)
you can get really good 5" circular displays on alibaba for about $200 which is spendy, but its worth getting a good screen for a gauge replace
https://wisecoco.en.alibaba.com/prod...378b4986M83Zq0

then there's the whole synthetic sound thing, but that's a huge unknown, no idea if i can run a Digital audio workstation on a pi with CAN signals coming in realtime and manipulate audio with it. That'll require a lot of ******* around and feasibility testing
i think i posted it earlier, but here's a synthetic idle i put together

as for the rear suspension, some C3 guys suggested a real psycho move of fabbing and bolting in the camaro SS ZL1 rear clip. It's modern, pretty adjustable, really good for track use, and i think the track width is comparable (62" vs 59" rear)

they're like 2k on ebay which means they're probably more like 1k from a local junkyard if i ditch the differential which i don't even need

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16477339261...EAAOSw5EJgV6Dm

however this guy is doing something similar and it looks like a bitch and a half. On the upside once he's complete i can replicate his design in CAD and save a lot of time and engineering work
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...on-swap-4.html

i just REALLY don't want to ******* put the model s rear cradle in there, it's got little adjustment and doesn't do well on anything other than gentle curves
Bikespace (11-18-2021)
Old 11-18-2021, 11:24 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,733 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

I'd look at the Mustang Gen 6 IRS (2015-17). Made a lot more Mustangs than Camaros. Same rear track as a Camaro (62") The Mustang weighs less.

All over eBay for around $600. From what I've read the stock diff can handle 6- 700HP

Old 11-19-2021, 10:58 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

There is also something like this, offered by Factory Five Racing for their, Cobras, Coupes and 33 Hot Rods.
This photo shows the standard brakes and coil overs on the left and the upgrades on the right.

I actually thought about using this set up in my 73 when I was considering getting rid of the IRS.
I had it in my Factory Five 33.
It uses a standard 8.8" Mustang rear differential, can be easily converted to work in a C3 and is standard in their race cars and 33 Hot Rods.

Last edited by OldCarBum; 11-19-2021 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-19-2021, 01:00 PM
jokeitch
Pro

That's potentially pretty promising, it's nice and open so I'll have room to get the large drive unit in there
it's probably not that expensive without the diff (assuming I can even buy one without said diff)

But the assembly looks kind of tall, as in potentially too tall for the c3 rear. Did you do some measurements to see if it'd actually fit? Possibly even pulled it into CAD?

Found it. $3200 is a Lil steep considering it's still missing a few things, I'll contact them to ask if I can buy one separately and also if they have a CAD model I can use for sizing

Last edited by jokeitch; 11-19-2021 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-19-2021, 01:19 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

The photographs I included show the units mounted in the subframes of their custom built chassis for the display only.
What you would want is just the unit and parts themselves.
The $3,199.00 increase in cost is for the IRS system and upgrades to the standard chassis for the install.
I purchased my 8.8 rear differential from a wrecking yard, cleaned it up, had it rebuilt and powder coated it with the chassis.

This was just a possibility I looked at doing and did not do any CAD or exact measurements.
I figured if I really wanted it to work I would purchase the components and modify them to fit.

Last edited by OldCarBum; 11-19-2021 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-26-2021, 06:07 PM
jokeitch
Pro

Cross Linking my other thread from the tech forum

​​​​​​Also, Factory five has not gotten back to me about my question but,maybe it's because of Thanksgiving

Get notified of new replies

To CorVolt: The 71 Restomod journey to electric

Old 11-27-2021, 11:42 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

They are a great organization.
When I bought my 33 Hot Rod, and during my build, their customer service technicians were awesome.
They have been a family owned and operated business, so I’m sure they are closed for the Holiday.
I’ve actually been thinking about selling my 73 when I complete my restomod and using original big block and rear end from my 73 and put it in a 65 Daytona Coupe.
Old 12-02-2021, 04:36 AM
jokeitch
Pro

Doing some experiments with fitting 18 of those LG chem batteries
https://www.evwest.com/catalog/produ...roducts_id=481
i can get them from disassembling chrysler pacifica hybric minivan battery packs, 6 lg chem bricks per pack, and the packs go for around $3000 from a junkyard
this means that i can get 18 bricks for $9000, which will weigh 684lbs raw, only a pound less than a dry chevy big block engine...
and within that 684lbs i get almost 47 kilowatt hours of capacity
and these batteries put out MORE than enough amps to fully power a tesla sport rear drive unit to 675hp
these beat the hell out of Volt cells in basically all ways BUT i'll need to design my own chill plates to cool them, the volt cells have liquid cooling built in

Fitment doesn't look terrible to fit all 18 but i have them arranged pretty damn tight here, they'll need to be more spaced in whatever battery box i design

i still dont have a 3d scan of the engine bay. a company called honeywell 3d in the bay area quoted me $2000 to scan the engine bay and turn that scan data into a usable model.
i dont have that kind of cash lying around, and for 2 grand it isnt worth it really.
so for now i use this frame model i found and scale an SBC model engine up to big block size in order to get rough fitment

Old 12-03-2021, 05:44 PM
jokeitch
Pro

update: i stumbled upon a digital dash solution completely by accident

because i really want to recreate the stock gauges in digital form and enhance their functionality, I've been searching for something which can do that
  1. Pidash wasn't going to work as it uses tunerstudio, which is customizable but putting a ton of custom can inputs on there is a huge pain
  2. AEM's CD-5 and CD-7 screens are really good, and their DashDesign studio is fantastic, but at an eye watering $1300 per screen, and the fact i'd have to mount that bulky-*** screen behind the dash and only use a slice of it as the gauge...no thanks
  3. I could write something from scratch using Qt, which does have a linux distro, but i think i'd need to write an entire can interface layer from scratch ON TOP of learning qt from the ground floor. Upside is that the customization is there and it can boot INSANELY fast

Realdash might be the solution because it has an absolute assload of customization, and can be setup to listen to raw CAN data off the vcu200

they only VERY recently released a linux version, which can run on a raspberry pi (although its currently a lil buggy and doesnt render very fast)
i was planning to use a Pi from the start because of the huge support community and the fact i can get a good CAN interface module called the PICAN hat
https://www.realdash.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1412

I made a post on their forums, but they move pretty slow, no idea when i'll hear anything
https://www.realdash.net/forum/viewt...0&p=6567#p6567

Quick Reply: CorVolt: The 71 Restomod journey to electric