C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header questions - collector gasket and VHT paint experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 10:13 PM
brassplyer
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Header questions - collector gasket and VHT paint experiences?

I have a set of Hooker headers on a ZZ4 crate engine. There's an aluminum gasket between the collector and pipe flange - should there be anything else needed besides that aluminum gasket? I.e. any other gaskets or sealing material or is that aluminum gasket by itself supposed to do it?

The reason I want to take them off is the coating has burned or worn off from around the collectors and a bit up the individual header pipes leaving an area of surface rust so I want to remove the headers strip the rust off the exposed metal and recoat them. I'm contemplating using VHT header paint.

Any experience with VHT? If you follow the directions for applying and curing should it last for a reasonable length of time? Is the primer a necessary step that enhances the durability of the paint? Any tips for prepping the metal surface before applying?

Is there something that's DIY appliable that you think is far better than the VHT? I don't care about making them pretty, I just want to protect the metal and extend their lifespan.

Any tricks, tips related to headers in general?

Thanks.

Last edited by brassplyer; 12-31-2019 at 12:57 AM.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:57 AM
RodgerF
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Could they be something like this: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/php-66002? If so, then all you need is the aluminum gasket and no other sealing materials. I've not had much luck over the years with header paint sticking around for very long but others may have a better idea.

Good luck with your project!

Rodger
Old 12-28-2019, 09:19 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,648 Posts

The proper way to recoat headers is to ship them off and have them stripped, minor welding, then ceramic coated. But, last time I checked into that, it was well over a couple hundred bucks + 2 way shpg.

VHT does have a ceramic coating rattle can. Its silver-ish, lacks the shine of real ceramic, but does seem to hold up quite well. They might have black also?

Your biggest enemy with getting a good quality paint job is any oily substance or residue on the header such as tranny fluid or motor oil. A wipe-down with Acetone will fix that. Never used primer. To me, primer would be for bare metal.

If your collector mating surface area is really rough, by all means use a soft metal gasket as shown above. Either aluminum or copper will work. Percys is top notch.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:13 AM
WARVETT
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I used the VHT paint on my headers. Followed all the prep instructions, but the hottest part of the headers (top of the initial bend) have already started to flake off after only a dozen drives. The aluminum gasket worked the best of a couple I tried.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:54 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

I used the VHT primer and VHT high heat on a set of Hooker Headers.
I followed the instructions to the letter.
The paint peeled off soon as I started the engine.
The VHT paint might be good for exhaust pipes but I will never use it again on headers.
SEND YOUR HEADERS IN FOR CERAMIC COATING.
It keeps under hood heat down and lasts much longer than paint.
Craig
Old 12-29-2019, 12:41 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 611 Likes on 404 Posts

Another vote for ceramic coating...because no header paint lasts.
Old 12-29-2019, 02:41 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,345 Likes on 1,096 Posts

I'll pass this on, with a grain of salt, because I've been away from the oval track scene for a LONG time. Nonetheless, I once heard a couple of dirt track racers saying that they'd sandblast new headers to bare steel, wipe them down with auto tranny fluid, then start the car right up. It would supposedly smoke like crazy, for a couple of minutes, as the ATF burned off, then the headers turned a medium gray, and stayed that way...
Old 12-29-2019, 06:14 PM
Roy W.
Racer
Pro Mechanic

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts

I found that VHT would last a drag racing season if after I sprayed them (white), I hung them up, put a rosebud on the torch, stuck it up the collector and continued to heat the headers until they turned a funky yellow color. No peeling after that.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:30 PM
Don Milani
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lead foot is correct I’ve used oil on raw steel headers but only on motorcycles when the bike is at running temperature and 🔥 hot 🥵 as hell ! I think it would be next to impossible to do this on road car especially
a C3 🔥 unless you have your kid 🧒 do it 😂!
GL
Old 12-29-2019, 08:32 PM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

I found a local powdwercoat place that I used to put an 1800 degree coating on the headers. These were were new ARH SS headers. Just trying to keep the heat down. Ive never had much luck with VHT hi heat paint, it just doesnt hold up. But Ceramic coating, not just jet hot, is excellent.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:47 PM
VirginiaVette78
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I am a bit surprised at the responses on VHT - I have done 2 sets of headers with it and they look excellent! I baked mine in an old oven i got for my garage though - maybe those with negative experiences tried to do it with them on the car? not sure.. Its a long process, I did 1 side of headers at a time, and they came out 9/10 and have had no flaking issues since then... I did scratch them up a bit trying to install them in the car though . Oh well, mines a driver.

Before

Before

During - after a ton of wirebrushing! Dont forget engine degreaser to get all of chems off before spraying

After.. not show quality but definitely good lookin!

Last edited by VirginiaVette78; 12-30-2019 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:41 AM
l82vett
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Like any paint job prep is the key. I have used VHT for many years and without fail the paint in some areas always peeled in the most unwanted area, where it was noticeable. If your headers are in good condition, spend the money on a ceramic coating and be done with it. Do your research on those coating companies also. Some not much better than paint. As for the aluminum gaskets , they seal up pretty good. As with any gasket, they should be retightened after a couple of heat cycles.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:29 PM
brassplyer
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C3 Stroker
Another vote for ceramic coating...because no header paint lasts.
What's the likely longevity of ceramic coating?
Old 12-31-2019, 02:56 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Originally Posted by brassplyer
What's the likely longevity of ceramic coating?
The last set I had with the previous engine still looked new after 10 years, and began to show wear at 15 years. I got my new set ceramic coated with the new engine and they still look new (2 years) so far. (Be sure to get them coated inside and out.)

Old ones, 15 years old........

New ones.......so far, now 2yrs.....

The following users liked this post:
brassplyer (12-31-2019)
Old 12-31-2019, 05:24 PM
brassplyer
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C3 Stroker
The last set I had with the previous engine still looked new after 10 years, and began to show wear at 15 years. I got my new set ceramic coated with the new engine and they still look new (2 years) so far. (Be sure to get them coated inside and out.)

Old ones, 15 years old........

(pretty pitcher)

New ones.......so far, now 2yrs.....

('nother pretty pitcher)
That's impressive. Besides heat resistance I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be any wear on the front area where the tubes bend where you'd expect them to encounter the most abuse from road debris and grit. I see what looks like road grime on the under-parts so I assume the car gets driven at least a moderate amount?

Last edited by brassplyer; 12-31-2019 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:28 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Originally Posted by brassplyer
That's impressive. Besides heat resistance I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be any wear on the front area where the tubes bend where you'd expect them to encounter the most abuse from road debris and grit. I see what looks like road grime on the under-parts so I assume the car gets driven at least a moderate amount?
Not driven much.......only weekends and sunny days. This is Ohio, so car is stored in winter. Waaaayyy better than any paint. I tried paint before, and got 2-3 years tops before rust through. BTW, the headers would rust through even in winter storage with the car parked on the garage floor.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:54 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,648 Posts

I believe a faulty Valve Cover Gasket can ruin header coatings more than anything else.

Get notified of new replies

To Header questions - collector gasket and VHT paint experiences?

Quick Reply: Header questions - collector gasket and VHT paint experiences?