Sponsored by:

Brake Surprise...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 04:29 PM
C3_DH
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Brake Surprise...

I backed my 76 out of the garage last Sunday for a little run and the brakes didn't feel right. I've not seen a drip from this car, other than the radiator overflow. I pulled it back into the garage, popped the brake reservoir and wow - the front bowl was full but the rear bowl didn't have a drop in it. I am going to put her up on my QuickJack this coming weekend to see where in the heck my fluid might have leaked out. Again, not a drop in the garage or driveway so I'm puzzled to say the least.
Old 12-19-2019, 05:56 PM
Stev-o
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 270 Posts

When was the last time you checked the brake fluid?

Mine has a minor leak so I check it at least once/month.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:34 PM
C3_DH
Racer

I only drive it on Fridays to work, and occasionally to a show. It has been raining of late, so I drove it to a show about a month ago, and gave her a thorough check before leaving, including the brake fluid. I had an incident with my older Mustang which makes me check things like brake fluid a lot. I've probably driven her twice since checking it. I'm thinking something blew out on the road and that is why I don't see any fluid in the garage. Because I've only had my C3 for just over a year, I'm still learning the ins and outs of these old girls. I'll start with putting her up on my Quickjack and look under her skirts. I'll start with the brake reservoir and go back to each rear brake i guess. Are there any particular locations where these cars can make a leak like this? I know, the answer is under the car, LOL.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:42 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

The rear of the master can also leak into the brake booster, Never see anything, it possibly gets picked up by engine vacuum and burned.
The following users liked this post:
hdeyong (02-13-2020)
Old 12-19-2019, 11:12 PM
lowbuck72
Drifting

Received 468 Likes on 274 Posts

Recently had a similar situation, except it was the front portion of the M/C being empty. No puddles, but noticed greasy film on the LF wheel. I think the leak was so slow and gradual, it never resulted in a stain on the ground. Pulled the wheel off and had similar film on the rotor. Pulled the caliper and found a leaking seal. Fortunately I purchased the calipers from Autozone 5 years earlier which had a lifetime warranty. Got a free replacement that afternoon and was back on the road the next day.

Old 12-20-2019, 06:01 AM
C3_DH
Racer

Originally Posted by lowbuck72
Recently had a similar situation, except it was the front portion of the M/C being empty. No puddles, but noticed greasy film on the LF wheel. I think the leak was so slow and gradual, it never resulted in a stain on the ground. Pulled the wheel off and had similar film on the rotor. Pulled the caliper and found a leaking seal. Fortunately I purchased the calipers from Autozone 5 years earlier which had a lifetime warranty. Got a free replacement that afternoon and was back on the road the next day.
Very nice. I'll be starting out on my own as I do not know the history of the brakes on this car. I do know the calipers are rusty as hell looking, I wanted to take them off and paint them up the day I looked at this car. The thing is, I don't drive it that much and I checked it in the recent past. I'm wondering if a seal blew and let it go quickly. Ah well, I'll find out in the next few days. I have to work today for a half day, then off for most of the next week for Christmas. I'll get her back on the road.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:29 AM
interpon
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,038 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Look at inside of wheels for streaking like a centrifuge on tires..then wipe inside of wheels from behind to see if one or two wetter. Or noticeable leak residue as it dries somewhat making it harder to spot, and a hand under booster to master...
i had to replace seals and master..
Old 12-20-2019, 09:01 AM
C3_DH
Racer

Originally Posted by interpon
Look at inside of wheels for streaking like a centrifuge on tires..then wipe inside of wheels from behind to see if one or two wetter. Or noticeable leak residue as it dries somewhat making it harder to spot, and a hand under booster to master...
i had to replace seals and master..
Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for... someone who had similar issues and what you did. Can the Master be rebuilt I wonder?
Old 12-20-2019, 09:48 AM
interpon
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C3_DH
Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for... someone who had similar issues and what you did. Can the Master be rebuilt I wonder?
i got a vintage cardone on ebay rebuild with original cover for master (the one on my car was leaking china junk) and had 28000 miles on car...i avoid the china stuff when possible and trying to stay original..the calipers are easy to rebuild and cheap..i stick with delco moraine, see what yours are..of not guess dont matter..ill see if i can find my thread..

here it is

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-rebuild.html

Last edited by interpon; 12-20-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:51 AM
interpon
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I know that thread above says one wont last due to no stainless insert but so far works perfect and dry..
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-rebuild.html

Old 12-20-2019, 10:01 AM
interpon
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Here is the ebay master i got rebuilt old delco..with accurate cover as original, just no di-chromate left..
also vendors on this site have great deal on rubber usa brake hoses, suggest changing regardless.

Old 12-20-2019, 02:35 PM
C3_DH
Racer

AWESOME, thank you! I'm looking at your rebuild thread now...
Old 12-26-2019, 08:51 PM
C3_DH
Racer

Found the leak I believe... First, the master was full for the fronts, completely empty for the rears. Put her up in quickjacks, took both rear tires off, not a drop of fluid to be found. Traced the very dry lines from both rear calipers up the line towards the front. Went to the front, master is dry also. Traced the rear lines just down to the frame, there is a block the lines go into (distribution block). Where the rear line goes into the block, fluid all over the frame towards the back!
Now, I'm sure I'm going to have to bleed the rear part of the master, not sure if I need to do the front - if it's holding fluid I would guess I do not. Anyway, I tightened the nut on the line into the block, although it wasn't loose. Not sure what I can do to seal this, other than getting a new rear line? Any suggestions are certainly welcome. Calipers in the back are rusty looking, I might take them off and clean them up, possibly get some caliper paint and make them look nice.
First major repair on my C3....

Last edited by C3_DH; 12-26-2019 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-26-2019, 10:00 PM
bobbarry
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Sometimes, loosening a flare-nut (with the appropriate flare-nut wrench to keep from rounding it off) a bit, then tightening it back down a few times, can re-seal the flare.
Old 12-26-2019, 10:46 PM
C3_DH
Racer

Originally Posted by bobbarry
Sometimes, loosening a flare-nut (with the appropriate flare-nut wrench to keep from rounding it off) a bit, then tightening it back down a few times, can re-seal the flare.
Ill try this. Before I try to bleed anything this will hopefully seal it up.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:33 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,174 Likes on 2,356 Posts

If you take the calipers off to make them look nice anyway, consider rebuilding them. If they have stainless steel liners already, and the bores are in good shape, this is something you can easily do yourself. I took them apart and cleaned the calipers with a wire wheel (making sure to mask off the bores), before putting on G2 2-part epoxy (which is, sadly, still not resistant to brake fluid).

Read some other threads and make up your own mind about O-ring vs. Lip Seals. I used the (high temp) O-ring kit from CSSB Inc.
C3_DH (12-27-2019)
Old 12-27-2019, 08:23 AM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

I don't believe it would be very common for an old brake line to just start leaking from a 'loosened flare nut'. There's very likely something else going on.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Surprise...

Old 12-27-2019, 08:36 AM
vairxpert
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Are you talking about the brass proportioning valve? If so, make sure IT isn't leaking. Mine had a vent hole on the side that would pee brake fluid every so often. I think it might have been something like an internal pressure relief that simply failed.
It was a long time ago, but I recall my local Chevy dealer having the best price by far and it was identical to the original.
Old 12-27-2019, 11:15 AM
interpon
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I agree with last two posts..either someone was in there with those lines or leaking from block..do the lines look original or old? Change them and maybe block...soak all connections and use flare wrench..a good usa one...that fits two sizes is worth it unless you have one already.. new usa rubber too to caliper..
or tighten and see..i hear here that master should be bench bled if ran dry..maybe as cheap as brake fluid is tighten add fluid gravity bleed or other..see if you stopped it...and all bubbles come out

i soaked my calipers for rebuild in evaporust..
Old 12-27-2019, 01:25 PM
Stev-o
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by C3_DH
First major repair on my C3....
Good that you found the leak, that is in no way a major repair!
C3_DH (12-27-2019)

Quick Reply: Brake Surprise...