C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

State of the mod: Modern headunit installs (double-din, flip up)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 07:14 PM
jokeitch
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Default State of the mod: Modern headunit installs (double-din, flip up)

Because i really like collecting scattered information into one place, what's the current situation with modern headunits going into C3s?

For double-dins, the only real documented install seems to be this one
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ch-screen.html
which keeps some gauges but removes others, with the possibility of replacing them with "idiot lights" which just turn them into warning signals if things are not within expected ranges.
In terms of difficulty, it's pretty much just a flat piece of thick plastic with sized holes cut into it, pretty simple, AND this can be 3d printed very easily, allowing for much more detailed customization, not to mention very pretty brushed aluminum or chrome possibilities

I can't seem to find any specifics on measurements for the gauge panel, but just tracing it onto whatever you want to cut is probably sufficient

Modern double dins also come in so called "mech-less" forms which have half the usual depth, meaning no need to cut any air ducts behind the dash. the CD playing machinery is removed but, not exactly a big loss in today's android auto/apple car play world, is it?

Flip-out screen systems also work, as long as the angle of the deployed screen can be customized in settings, such that the screen sits at a good angle relative to the gauges. These cannot come in mech-less formats so depth becomes an issue, but this retains all your factory gauges

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1594117521

on the wackier end is the more recent systems involving GIGANTIC screens on small single or double din headunits.

for example:
Amazon Amazon

these generally have some flexibility so the screen can be angled to not strike anything BUT it completely blocks your gauges, permanently.
although if you do a custom gauge panel, you can position this in the middle-ish, similar so what you'd do with the 7" screen but you get an extra 2" which is very helpful. Buttons are larger, easier to read at a glance, everything

and a new option, aftermarket center console actually designed for a double din sized hole to be cut in it

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1600417709

Last edited by jokeitch; 11-01-2019 at 12:28 AM.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:36 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

My Pioneer flip-up above did not interfere with the floor ventilation ducting behind the radio. And the flip screen is adjustable so it doesn't touch the gauge cluster.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:06 PM
big mort
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I installed a portable Bluetooth speaker where my radio was. I took the antenna out and never used the radio function of what I had before, only bluetoothed Spotify. I love it so far. Thought about marketing it!
Old 11-01-2019, 09:18 PM
bluegtp
Drifting

Received 287 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

There's a few others that are"documented". I'm running classic auto air ac so i measured depth, got on Amazon and found one that would fit. I use android so pretty simple to operate imo. Has bluetooth, wifi, torque app and set up any extra gauges i might want to see from my ls3.

The following 3 users liked this post by bluegtp:
bmans vette (11-01-2019), brent319 (11-02-2019), JimboJimmy84 (04-03-2022)
Old 11-01-2019, 11:25 PM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

Originally Posted by bluegtp
There's a few others that are"documented". I'm running classic auto air ac so i measured depth, got on Amazon and found one that would fit. I use android so pretty simple to operate imo. Has bluetooth, wifi, torque app and set up any extra gauges i might want to see from my ls3.

Nice setup!
I have always liked the later C3 dash look over the earlier years. I am working on a 78 version for mine. Changing all the gauges. And I am toying with the wifi/bluetooth add-ons. Thanks
Old 04-03-2022, 05:11 PM
JimboJimmy84
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this your own custom fabrication? This is one of the best double din dash kits I’ve seen for the C3.

Old 04-07-2022, 03:25 PM
bluegtp
Drifting

Originally Posted by JimboJimmy84
Is this your own custom fabrication? This is one of the best double din dash kits I’ve seen for the C3.
Yes it's my own fabrication. I did copy a similar layout some other members have created and modified from there. It's just a steel plate I cut out to fit over the plastic.
Old 04-07-2022, 03:37 PM
JimboJimmy84
3rd Gear

Yes it's my own fabrication. I did copy a similar layout some other members have created and modified from there. It's just a steel plate I cut out to fit over the plastic.
I'm assuming you did the same for the Speedometer and RPM. Looks like there are some lights in the middle of them though.
Old 04-07-2022, 03:38 PM
bluegtp
Drifting

looks like this all together:

The following users liked this post:
JimboJimmy84 (04-07-2022)
Old 04-07-2022, 03:53 PM
JimboJimmy84
3rd Gear

Yea that's picture perfect. Classic dash with upgraded tech.
Old 08-30-2022, 03:13 PM
How Are You
Drifting

Received 403 Likes on 296 Posts

I just received mine. Still have to unbox. Hope the final product looks good.

The following users liked this post:
Eddmac (09-08-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To State of the mod: Modern headunit installs (double-din, flip up)

Quick Reply: State of the mod: Modern headunit installs (double-din, flip up)