C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help finding name of part in center dash.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 09:28 PM
dragonist2
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Need help finding name of part in center dash.

On 1969 cars with A/C, there are two vents mounted in the center dash above the gauges/clock right by the wiper switch. I am trying to find that piece but have only been able to find the individual vents that would go inside there. https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...red-69-76-w-ac

I know I am missing something, but I have not been able to find the piece anywhere that those vents are supposed to fit into.

Looks like this guy is taking off the piece I am talking about in this photo.

Note piece in upper right hand corner.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:40 PM
bobby live
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The vents attach to a plastic vent that goes down to the floor vent and i think the only way of buying that vent is ebay or you could try paragon,hope that helps
Old 09-09-2019, 01:11 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 897 Likes on 781 Posts

search a/c bezel. center bezel for air conditioning. etc.

center a/c bezel? this thing?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-1976-C...oAAOSwEDJbqaYb

Last edited by carriljc; 09-09-2019 at 01:13 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:53 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,338 Posts

I'm not sure what it's officially called, but I've always called them the wiper switch/center dash vent housing? Whatever it's called, I'm not aware of it being available as a repro. I think your only option is to find a good used one.

There are 2 versions of the AC housing. The 68-72 housing has the words "Wiper", "Off" & "High" cast into the housing, while 73-76 bezels have a lens in the housing that says "Wiper" and "Washer". Either will work in your 69 dash. but the one without the lens is correct. There are also 2 non air versions, which say "Corvette", where the vents are on AC housings.

I have some used ones in the shop, but I don't recall which years. I can take a look tomorrow.
The following users liked this post:
dragonist2 (09-09-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 09:20 PM
BSiegPaint
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

I have a couple of these, but for the later cars. Drop me a PM if you would be interested.

Old 09-09-2019, 09:44 PM
dragonist2
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi all,

Thanks for the help and knowledge. I knew I was missing something, and it was eBay! I am debating on converting a 69 non-A/C car with the Vintage Air kit but would want it to look like it was factory. To the best of my knowledge, the center dash vent housing that comes with their kit has their branding on it which is a no-go for me, so I am looking into the feasibility of simply routing that particular vent to one of these as a replacement.

If that's not possible, I figure it's always possible just to use my existing vents and block off that one exiting vent from the compressor, but I'd like to make this work.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:52 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 897 Likes on 781 Posts

I installed Hot Rod A/C on my 68 years ago and I had to get this part also. I bought it ebay. You'll see them come up routinely. Not rare at all. Just get the best one you see for the best price. I bought new deflectors and I ended up fabricating my own ducting behind it because it is so tight anyway....
Old 09-26-2019, 07:27 AM
TJ429
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dragonist2,

I am doing a similar conversion, putting a retrofit Vintage Air A/C system on a non-factory A/C 1968 Corvette. The Vintage Air Dash/Wiper control bezel looks good, but I want an original (and unfortunately the 68 wiper control bezel is 68 only).

On eBay I found and purchased a 68 only Wiper control bezel for a factory A/C car (the bezel needs to be restored), a NOS factory A/C vent (which is one long vent in 68 as compared to the two vents in 69 and later), and a restored factory 68 Heater/AC Control Panel unit for the shift console.

What I now need is the plastic flapper/trapdoor that attaches to the back side of the wiper A/C control bezel and blue light housing/lens backing and may end up purchasing a second complete bezel to pull parts off of it.

I don't get back to the States until the end of Oct so I can't tell you how my plan is coming together until I physically get my hands on all the components.

MTF...

Get notified of new replies

To Need help finding name of part in center dash.

Quick Reply: Need help finding name of part in center dash.