Repair glass T-top frame?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 12:18 PM
BSiegPaint
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Default Repair glass T-top frame?

I have this great set of wide-rimmed glass tops for my ‘71, but the mounting for the top latch on one is broken. The piece is long gone, unfortunately. Has anyone repaired something like this in a successful manner? Maybe sistered in a piece? I’d hate to toss these for lack of trying to fix them first.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:41 PM
general ike
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 452 Posts
2017 C3 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '20- '21

That looks like it is under stress when latched down which means it will be difficult to repair. I assume that it is not replaceable? Can you recreate the missing section out of a strong epoxy like material like J B weld. Perhaps a metal plate along side of it using the one screw hole and then create another below the break forward of it? Not sure how it will hold up but like you I wouldn't give up without a fight as well. Ike
Old 09-06-2019, 08:31 AM
Rodnok1
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Are those aluminum? I think I would fabricate missing piece and use thread inserts secured with epoxy in main part to fasten together. That or see if a weld could TIG a nub on to secure that bolt(heat would be the problem).
Old 09-06-2019, 11:59 AM
BSiegPaint
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by Rodnok1
Are those aluminum? I think I would fabricate missing piece and use thread inserts secured with epoxy in main part to fasten together. That or see if a weld could TIG a nub on to secure that bolt(heat would be the problem).
You know, I really don't know. I think I was believing they were pot metal and not weldable...it's heavier than I would think aluminum would be. I'll take a harder look this evening and see. After staring at it for a while I wondered if I could fab a loop over the front bolt from the front to the back edge - it's a definite stress point that needs as much strength as possible. Heck, I can't make it worse, so why not get out the torch and drill and see what I can do. I was hoping someone else had seen this kind of break and had successfully fixed it!

Get notified of new replies

To Repair glass T-top frame?

Quick Reply: Repair glass T-top frame?